Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I was thinking, only yesterday, of booking a b&b for a night on the Northern Welsh Coast.

I'd even decided where I'd stay (Barmouth) and worked out my route.

It would have meant me setting out early though (5 o'clock this morning) to be in place before the winds really picked up and made driving hazardous.

Not sure whether I'm regretting my decision not to go there now or not really. It'd be exhilarating to experience the power of those winds, knowing that I'd be reasonable safe and not suffering any personal losses.

However apart from the 280 mile journey for a one night visit, there's always the thought of feeling a bit ghoulish - I'd not want to see damage, but just experience the noise and force of the beast. Damage would be inevitable though... Posted Image

I'm glad your location is sheltered. Hopefully it'll mean it's safe, although I'm aware that the lee of mountainsides doesn't necessarily mean security, due to downstream wave effects created by large hills. It doesn't sound like it'd be an issue for your place though. Posted Image

Thanks Steve, it's in a village about 20m above the mean high tide of the estuary, and to the west of the house are steep hillsides leading up to the high cliffs on that part of the Pembrokeshire coastal path so the westerlies generally smash into the ancient rock of the cliffs then get funnelled up and over, but I take the point about downstream effects, which I imagine would be pretty strong in this set-up.  Just typing the words 'Pembrokeshire coastal path' has brought me out in a cold sweat as there will be some points on that path where you would not want to be in a moderate wind let alone in what's coming today.

I must admit a small part of me wishes I was in the Wales house to be close to the full effect, fire going, that Dylan Thomas bible-blackness all around.  Roll on Easter....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Band of rain is now wider than the BBC graphics depicted, some intense energy pumping into it from that occluded warm front. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Just a leaf rustler down here .

Was expecting much higher winds from this than we have right now

Yestyerday was windier than this at this time, hopefully Friday night | saturday morning will be better.

This one ios pants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I think the BBC news presently likes using the word 'HEAVY'

Heavy winds

Heavy flooding

Heavy seas

Heavy rain

She must have used it at least 30 times since I've been watching Posted Image

Just needs Eric Pickles to make an appearance and he could be similarly described. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Certainly not a 'leaf rustler' here - the windows are shaking - and the worst is yet to come.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Hi Saint,

what time do you think our area will get hit?

Im planning on leaving Southwark at 2 to get ahead of the storm....

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Just seen News24 and Darren Bett still thinks we will have another couple of weeks of unsettled Atlantic driven weather although not to the extent of this weeks atrocious stuff!!Windy but still no rain which is surprising as last night bbc SE stated rain from about 9am-5pm!!Apart from a light shower at 8.20am it has been dry here all morning!!

Delved over to MOD thread and saw latest ECM run.Boy if that comes off we would be getting our sledges ready this time next week lol.Probably just another false dawn but would be interested to hear experts view on this. Are you about Tamara?Posted Image

Saw that too,more rain and wind to come,just not the intense storms we are seeing this week.At odds with what they said earlier today and yesterday of a more settled spell next week.
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Saint,

what time do you think our area will get hit?

Im planning on leaving Southwark at 2 to get ahead of the storm....

Hello Lloyd,

Well winds have already picked up, but there peak may not be until mid-afternoon onwards, so you should be fine. However, that is just a rough guestimate at the moment I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Saw a wide load lorry with a mobile home on it going down the M20 mid- morning, if they left it any later a risk the whole thing would have tipped over, but must have been tricky for the lorry driver at the time as I felt my car veering in some of the gusts, certainly a bad idea to move such a thing by road in weather like this. 

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Gusting at 58 in the last hour here, in the 40's since 7 this morning, just wondering what the wind will be like later. The amber warning stops short of here.

Posted

Rain started in Harefield, only light at the moment.  Just saw some people heading across the car park with brollies up and they are struggling a bit with them so it must be pretty breezy already.

The lure of a Panini from the staff restaurant is too strong and I will have to head out myself in a moment.......

Edit: I see that a 51mph gust has been recorded by the Met Office at Kenley which is a couple of miles from Reigate, albeit probably a bit more exposed to the due southerly that appears to be blowing now.  That's a pretty strong gust given that the main winds aren't here yet.....

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 1

Posted

Saw a wide load lorry with a mobile home on it going down the M20 mid- morning, if they left it any later a risk the whole thing would have tipped over, but must have been tricky for the lorry driver at the time as I felt my car veering in some of the gusts, certainly a bad idea to move such a thing by road in weather like this.

Must admit that is my fear for driving home down the M25 at 4pm, which seems when the maximum stuff is likely to hit; really hope drivers make sensible decisions about large loads and the like. Might see some interesting landings into Heathrow. Still doesn't look too windy out of my office window, although some rain, might look out the front of the building to see if it looks different.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Rain started in Harefield, only light at the moment.  Just saw some people heading across the car park with brollies up and they are struggling a bit with them so it must be pretty breezy already.

The lure of a Panini from the staff restaurant is too strong and I will have to head out myself in a moment.......

I don't bother with an umbrella any more lol, learnt years ago all they are good for in this country is bending inside out then going in the bin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Yeah it's really picked up here now.

I know many don't want yet another round of high winds and rain, but horses for courses.

I love extreme weather and won't apologize for it, nor feel bad for wanting it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Wind has really picked up here in the last half hour. It is getting darker, but as yet we don't have any rain. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Having just watched the news, It is not looking good at all for the north west and Wales.

I hope everyone keeps safe.

• Like 1