Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Winds have increased in the last 5 minutes, clouds moving quite quickly and can hear the wind howling round the building.

Think I need to convince work that we need a weather station for educational purposes!

Posted

My sheltered weather station is reading almost 30MPH at the moment (it's never gone over that!) so must be windy at home now. My dad's one (in Wexford, Ireland) is gusting up to 45MPH at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just be thankful we're not in the red warning area. Their winds will be way worse than anything any of us are likely to see.

• Like 8

Posted

Just seen the red warnings for Wales and NW England and have done a mental map of the area around our shared house in North Pembrokeshire, 1 mile from the sea, but it's reasonably sheltered from the south west and west winds so it has a good chance of coming off unscathed.

There will, it seems, be some serious problems for those unfortunate enough to be in the path of the strongest winds, I hope there are no tragedies from this. 

I see that our part of Surrey now appears in the amber zone so it could be pretty lively later on; if the wind comes from the west rather than south west then Reigate could get a bit of a blasting as the winds are funnelled between the smaller hills to the south of the town and the higher North Downs.

I may head off early from the office to get home before the worst and to check (for the umpteenth time) the staking of the vulnerable tree in the back garden.

All this personal stuff is, of course, as nothing compared to those really suffering and/or at risk. 

Take care all

AS

• Like 6

Posted

Just seen the red warnings for Wales and NW England and have done a mental map of the area around our shared house in North Pembrokeshire, 1 mile from the sea, but it's reasonably sheltered from the south west and west winds so it has a good chance of coming off unscathed.

There will, it seems, be some serious problems for those unfortunate enough to be in the path of the strongest winds, I hope there are no tragedies from this. 

I just can't understand why the media has been concentrating on the water and not giving warnings of the wind,with the exception of the express but that cries wolf so often that everyone ignores it anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

just seen the red warnings are out

Yep...post-10773-0-32303800-1392203556_thumb.jA Red 'take action' severe weather warning for wind has been issued. Here is a picture of the current warnings in place.Keep up to date with the latest information at http://bit.ly/1ePHbJuOur infographic explains what to do during a severe weather warning for wind http://bit.ly/1bLQvrW
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Good Morning :)

I've just been out walking for an hour and it is gusting already. I got blown forward on the way and was getting a good workout on the way back! later will be nasty. 

Yikes, just seen the red warnings :( I hope everyone stays safe, indoors and out of harms way.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Started blowing quite strongly here. The lamp post at the back of the house is swaying about.

My weather book arrived this morning. It's excellent. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

post-16115-0-65994800-1392204263_thumb.j that picture Posted Image would strike the fear of God into me if we had Red Warnings

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Winds gusting here (not sure how strong, just going by looking at the daft wind turbine in the car park). Rain has cleared away from first thing but sky is still grey and generally horrible looking.

They put up a wind turbine in a car park ??? Posted Image

They need at least 50m clearance even for a smallish one — ice throw, collapse, blade's flying off etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

TORNADO WATCH 2014/001

A TORRO TORNADO WATCH has been issued at 1125GMT on Wednesday February 12th 2014

Valid from/until: 11:25- 21:00GMT on Wednesday February 12th 2014 for the following regions

Parts of (see map)

England

Wales

S Scotland

Channel Is

IoM

post-10773-0-04071600-1392205300_thumb.j

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 100mph; hail; isolated CG lightning

DISCUSSION

Intense Atlantic low will move from W Eire to W Scotland today. At the surface, a strong cold front will move east across much of Britain, with a very strong WSW'erly flow following, especially into western parts. Although instability along the cold front is meagre, intense forcing and very strong shear along it suggests a tornado risk with this feature, as well as gusts of 60-70mph, locally higher along exposed coasts.

Following this cold front, a very tight pressure gradient will move in, especially for Wales and NW England. Very strong gusts of 80-90mph, and perhaps 100mph will affect parts of Wales, and NW England. Although these may occur independent of convection (and the risk is already covered by UKMO warnings), convection may enhance gusts, and thus this forecast includes this risk. The flow may be too intense for a tornado risk, but it is not out of the question.

• Like 2

Posted

I see that our part of Surrey now appears in the amber zone so it could be pretty lively later on; if the wind comes from the west rather than south west then Reigate could get a bit of a blasting as the winds are funnelled between the smaller hills to the south of the town and the higher North Downs.

I may head off early from the office to get home before the worst and to check (for the umpteenth time) the staking of the vulnerable tree in the back garden.

All this personal stuff is, of course, as nothing compared to those really suffering and/or at risk. 

Take care all

AS

I was thinking, only yesterday, of booking a b&b for a night on the Northern Welsh Coast.

I'd even decided where I'd stay (Barmouth) and worked out my route.

It would have meant me setting out early though (5 o'clock this morning) to be in place before the winds really picked up and made driving hazardous.

Not sure whether I'm regretting my decision not to go there now or not really. It'd be exhilarating to experience the power of those winds, knowing that I'd be reasonable safe and not suffering any personal losses.

However apart from the 280 mile journey for a one night visit, there's always the thought of feeling a bit ghoulish - I'd not want to see damage, but just experience the noise and force of the beast. Damage would be inevitable though... :(

I'm glad your location is sheltered. Hopefully it'll mean it's safe, although I'm aware that the lee of mountainsides doesn't necessarily mean security, due to downstream wave effects created by large hills. It doesn't sound like it'd be an issue for your place though. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just seen News24 and Darren Bett still thinks we will have another couple of weeks of unsettled Atlantic driven weather although not to the extent of this weeks atrocious stuff!!Windy but still no rain which is surprising as last night bbc SE stated rain from about 9am-5pm!!Apart from a light shower at 8.20am it has been dry here all morning!!

Delved over to MOD thread and saw latest ECM run.Boy if that comes off we would be getting our sledges ready this time next week lol.Probably just another false dawn but would be interested to hear experts view on this. Are you about Tamara?Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Getting gusty.

I have got to go for blood test then go to fetch my meds.

Gonna be out in this. Wish me luck :-(

Posted

To be honest, early March to me is possibly the most likely time for an easterly, based on my observations over the years.

Apart from being cold, their most notable feature is relative dryness, most of the time. I'd rather have dry and warm once we get to Spring, but dry and cold is better than this current stuff. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

I think the BBC news presently likes using the word 'HEAVY'
Heavy winds
Heavy flooding
Heavy seas
Heavy rain
She must have used it at least 30 times since I've been watching Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I was accused of scaremongering last week because I warned of the threat of severe weather come the middle part of this week on my weather page. I really hope they are happy now!

Posted

So, it looks like that even down our way it could get a bit wild later on? This system has really developed!

Also, is this this the first really wide spread red warnings since the 2010/2011 Snow storm in London/and surrounding counties?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still 'dry' here but the wind is roaring through the trees now! All I can hear all morning is sirens, quite worrying

Posted

post-842-0-63644400-1392206321_thumb.jpg

Bit too close for my liking!

They put up a wind turbine in a car park ??? Posted Image

They need at least 50m clearance even for a smallish one — ice throw, collapse, blade's flying off etc.

• Like 1