Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

If its not the Daily Express, Then you can always try The Independent...Jeez there full of joy.

Posted Image

According to the a Daily Fail summer 2014 could be the hottest on record ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2556766/Could-2014-hottest-record-El-Ni-o-phenomenon-spew-massive-amounts-heat.html

....hosepipe ban anyone ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Another member that seems to have missed the 23rd December into Xmas eve wind event in the SE? It was much worse wind wise here than October.I'm starting to think that some folk were so full of 'festive cheer' they missed it!

Depends where you were.

23rd December lasted for many hours, but it wasn't as intense as the end of October here, even though the very strong winds lasted only an hour or so then.  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Sorry to hear about your mum stainesbloke. Awful thing to happen to anyone.

Pales into insignificance in comparison but our sunroom roof is still leaking and it's got worse - so much so we have water and damp coming into the lounge now through the wall. The roofers can do nothing til we have at least 2 days dry weather.

So, not looking forward to more rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Depends where you were. 23rd December lasted for many hours, but it wasn't as intense as the end of October here, even though the very strong winds lasted only an hour or so then.  :)

noted that your neck of the woods copped the worst of the October event as the Low deepened rapidly on exit via East Anglia.......then slammed Denmark with 120mph gusts.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

how much more of this can we take,feel awful for everyone affected by the flooding,hopefully stainesbloke and surrey will be spared,stay safe guys,everyone on here will be hoping youll be spared

• Like 1

Posted

I think we'll all have a spell of strong to gale winds, late tomorrow, with the strongest around coasts and possibly more generally over Norfolk.

It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as other places though. In the UK, North Wales late tomorrow afternoon looks like it'll have properly storm force winds. Southern Ireland looks like it'll suffer just before that.

From a selfish point of view, I hope the track doesn't change a bit southwards. :unsure:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Clear sky here in MK and the temperature has dropped to 1deg c - all the rain from earlier this evening is now ICE !!

I'm off to bed to hopefully get some sleep - Night night :-)

Posted

Posted Image

heres the fax for 6pm tomorrow

winds still strong

however looks like the rain may clear somewhere around this time

that is a shade better than the earlier charts rain wise

also note the trough in the atlantic

if that crosses overnight we may something wintry

-------------------------------------

tomorrow looks like

cold start

strong winds and heavy rain

when it gets to evening overnight

getting a lot colder again with poss wintry showers developing

thats what you call a forecasters nightmare 24 hours

Not looking good for up here tmoz...70-90mph winds..... And at rush hour.... But we have had two 2-4cm falls of snow in one day.... Thinking of peeps with flooding though..... My mums village on somerset levels has been ok thus far, minor flooding but 40-80mm through saturday may change that..... Plus my 8 month pregnant sister in plymouth cant get to my mums.... Not good...

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

Good evening all ! So another storm coming at us all again ! How many rounds is this now ? So sorry to read about some members flooding problems . This situation is so worrying for everyone now , every day some where else is up to knee deep in water ? I've had a couple of people say to me today this is the environments way of telling us ,enough is enough & it's pay back time ?! I just wondered what you guys views are on this ? If we think about all the weather extrematies all over the world especially in the last few months it really is very worrying . Question is ? What the b****y hell do we do about it ? I really did fancy a bit of snow but under the circumstances ( water ! ) that really isn't what so many people need ! Best wishes to all xx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Oh dear Lord....look at this article from The Daily Excess..http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458233/Shock-weather-warning-WORST-Atlantic-storm-of-the-winter-is-now-ROARING-towards-BritainTalk about OTT. Tsunami warning........ha ha ha!!!!

ugh talk about twisting things, there is talk of installing a tsunami warning system but it's not for storms lol. It's because of mid Atlantic ridge earthquakes.

Posted

The wind has got up here...in fact it is gusting quite a lot

Yep getting some gust here too, only just started though.

Posted

hi lolly

it would take me too long to reply

but very shortly

nature is causing problems at the moment and i personally do not think theres much we can do to stop it

but building proper defences is one

seems the powers that be have ignored this for a long time now

question is will they actually do anything about it now?

• Like 1

Posted

I hope your house does not get flooded surrey, you expect it from rivers, but lakes, I never really thought they could cause a problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi JP, I really think that this flood water could sit around for a long time, we had flooding on the marsh December 2012/January 2013 which didn't even start to disappear until the end of April 2013 due to the cold spring, this year we have so much more that it makes me wonder just how long it could take to clear, particularly if it turns cold again? 

Thanks for the charts as always, let's hope Saturday's rain amounts do downgrade.

P.S. good result football wise this eveningPosted Image

Basically spring. When vegetation starts growing again and trees, grass start using the water that's in the ground. For that you need above 6 degrees at night.

Posted

Basically spring. When vegetation starts growing again and trees, grass start using the water that's in the ground. For that you need above 6 degrees at night.

According to my garden and local trees it's spring, according to me it's still autumn.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Heavy rain will be upon us during Wednesday afternoon which will last into the night with gale force winds gusting 50 - 60 mph and 70 mph in the more exposed areas. Flooding & structural damage is likely.

The storm to watch is late Friday into Saturday. If the projected path of the deep low pressure carries on it's present course, then we are in for a very bad period. The heavy rain will be upon us during Friday afternoon which will last right into Saturday with storm force winds gusting 60 - 70/80 mph and 80/90 mph in the more exposed areas. Flooding & structural damage is likely.

By the end of the week there will be a further 50+ mm of rain. A State Of Emergency should be called for Greater London Area which will be at risk by Monday of next week.

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

According to my garden and local trees it's spring, according to me it's still autumn.

What? Trees are in leaf? I doubt it. It's not just temperature it's daylight hours too. Snowdrops, hellebores, aconites and crocuses are flowering in my garden but they were flowering last year when it was still cold and I've seen them in full bloom in snow. They take advantage of higher light levels as they aren't shaded by trees at this time of year and don't rely on insects to pollinate them.

post-8078-0-75705900-1392175816_thumb.jp

post-8078-0-37320900-1392176263_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted

The latest rain band has just arrived here in north west London. Fingers crossed for those folk just a few miles to my south down by the Thames.

I am full of admiration for all the work being done by the frontline staff, be they the Emergency Services, Troops, EA employees etc but the real unsung heroes/heroines are the local communities and volunteers who have all pulled together. Sue Burrows in particular, a volunteer Flood Warden in Wraysbury, was inspirational on the news report I watched yesterday.Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

A few hours without too much rain before that next one hits, already over Western Ireland, Cork getting battered again, Seems the low pressure centre slap bang over Ireland, all depends now on the track of that low.

Doesn't look good for the Thames area, another 20mm forecast

• Like 2

Posted

Is it my imagination or gave the amber warnings for wind widened overnight for the southeast. Yesterday we were not under the amber warning for today erm we are now ok looks coastal

• Like 1

Posted

Is it my imagination or gave the amber warnings for wind widened overnight for the southeast. Yesterday we were not under the amber warning for today erm we are now ok looks coastal

They have. There was an update after 4:00 this morning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=wl&fcTime=1392163200

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone.

It ts already raining heavily here and is a chilly 5.3. Having just seen the latest forecast on BBC breakfast , it really is not looking good for our area today. It looks like the heaviest rain and strongest winds will be during the middle part of today, so if you are out and about, take care. Fridays rain looks horrendous too, so I can only assume that the situation is going of get worse over the next couple of days.

Stay safe!