Sign in to follow this  
bluearmy

horse racing

i think there should be a dedicated thread for all things horse racing.  cheltenham approaches and then we have the new flat season. on that subject, sad news that the 1000 guinneas favourite, Chrisellium, was put down last week after failing to recover from a foot infection.  Only a few months after connections had stood with Bo Derek after winning the Breeders Cup for juvenile fillies, their year is ripped apart. i guess thats sport but must be so difficult to take.

lets hope for some better news in this thread ......................

Frankel’s first foal

Happenstance dictated that Frankel’s first foal was born on Henry Cecil’s birthday. It’s a circle of life thing.

It was at 8.30pm last Saturday, 11th January, at Coolmore Stud, that the first progeny of the racehorse that many consider to be the greatest of all time poked his little white-blazed head into the world. The late Sir Henry would have been 71.

It was Sir Henry who managed Frankel’s career like a father would manage a son’s, always keeping the equine athlete’s best interests to the fore when discussing plans and targets. He would defer to ‘The Prince’ (Khalid Abdullah, Frankel’s owner) in post-race interviews, but all the while you felt that it was the trainer who was charting the path and the owner who was nodding agreement.

http://donnmcclean.com/2014/01/19/frankel%E2%80%99s-first-foal/

Edited by knocker

Frankel’s first foal Happenstance dictated that Frankel’s first foal was born on Henry Cecil’s birthday. It’s a circle of life thing. It was at 8.30pm last Saturday, 11th January, at Coolmore Stud, that the first progeny of the racehorse that many consider to be the greatest of all time poked his little white-blazed head into the world. The late Sir Henry would have been 71. It was Sir Henry who managed Frankel’s career like a father would manage a son’s, always keeping the equine athlete’s best interests to the fore when discussing plans and targets. He would defer to ‘The Prince’ (Khalid Abdullah, Frankel’s owner) in post-race interviews, but all the while you felt that it was the trainer who was charting the path and the owner who was nodding agreement. http://donnmcclean.com/2014/01/19/frankel’s-first-foal/

95% success rate in covering mares. Thats astonishing!

Have not followed it for a while so wouldn't bet too bigger stakes as i am out of practice, however i went to the Cheltenham Gold Cup in both 2005 and 2006, i went to the Friday at Royal Ascot in 2010 and although the women were stunning and i drank about 4 bottles of champagne, i prefer Cheltenham as i think jump racing is more of an art form, also chased my losses at ascot by then putting 600 quid (my whole savings !!!) on England against Algeria and ended up in a pub in Staines watching it unfold, a very expensive day, a grand in all, and i am not the sort of person who can afford that, ended up borrowing money off people for a month after it, it really beggard me up, still, you live and learn!

It's been many years since I took an active part in racing but still take an interest. Had some great times with a number of trips to Deauville, Paris, etc. On the other end of the scale I still remember a very muddy trip to Plumpton. I'd had a pretty good win in a hurdle race when this character sidled up to me and said put the lot on so and so in the last and then walked off. Naturally the red flags were flying but in the end I did just that and it romped home by twenty lengths.

No happy endings though as I hate to think of the money I lost over the years but still have the memory of Nijinski winning the Triple Crown at Doncaster,

The Festival is nearly upon us, and unusually for me, i've not had one ante-post bet. Normally i've already laid down a number of markers, but the awful winter weather has played a large part in my current indecision.

Cheltenham is normally a quick drying course but with the amount of rain we've had i wonder whether it can reach its normal good going for the Festival; somehow i doubt it.

If i had to place a bet tonite i'd probably have a win bet on Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle. I'd love to double him up with Big Bucks in the World, but i've also got a sneaky feeling for At Fishers in the World.

Actually in Fuerteventura this year in Festival week, same as last, but a number of places i can watch the action, incl my tablet via wi-fi connection to one of my betting accounts.

Used to go on two of the days but it's got far too expensive, and i can normally bet with more thought and restraint, away from the course.

Edited by Bristle boy

No big surprise this but a shame.

Cheltenham suffered a widely feared setback last night with the announcement that its headline attraction will miss the Festival. Sprinter Sacre was ruled out of defending his two-mile chasing crown and will miss the rest of the season.

Nicky Henderson, who has trained the eight-year-old to 14 victories since his arrival from France, admitted defeat in his efforts to nurse the horse back to peak fitness after the heart scare at Kempton Park over Christmas that resulted in the loss of his unbeaten record over fences.

“He’s not showing the same brilliance as last season, he’s just ten per cent short of that,†Henderson said. “A week ago, I’d have said he was 60-40 to get there. I really thought we were going the right way.

The Festival is nearly upon us, and unusually for me, i've not had one ante-post bet. Normally i've already laid down a number of markers, but the awful winter weather has played a large part in my current indecision.

Cheltenham is normally a quick drying course but with the amount of rain we've had i wonder whether it can reach its normal good going for the Festival; somehow i doubt it.

If i had to place a bet tonite i'd probably have a win bet on Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle. I'd love to double him up with Big Bucks in the World, but i've also got a sneaky feeling for At Fishers in the World.

Actually in Fuerteventura this year in Festival week, same as last, but a number of places i can watch the action, incl my tablet via wi-fi connection to one of my betting accounts.

Used to go on two of the days but it's got far too expensive, and i can normally bet with more thought and restraint, away from the course.

G2SGIP imo....Posted Image

Drying conditions may make the latter part of Festival week a different kettle of fish to what most horses have been running on this winter - take care punting.

Now that the festival is done, the next on the agenda is aintree and the start of the flat (although all weather racing means we are never really without that).

Whos whos having what in the national today?

I have never been much of a horse racing fan, I was even less after the BBC made the idiotic decision to go to an irrelevant horse race when Gooch was about to make a triple Test century, the first by an Englishman in years.

Unforgivable.

derby day today and the favourite, Austraila, duly obliged for the coolmore 'massif' !  

his daddy is the prodigious stallion (and former derby winner), Galileo and his mum is the sensational  Ouija Board. (oaks winner). if breeding means anything, this fella had to be the derby winner 2014 as soon as his mum was confirmed to be in foal.

third successive derby triumph for trainer Aiden O'Brien which is a record. given the length of time the race has been run for, i doubt this will be equalled.

derby day today and the favourite, Austraila, duly obliged for the coolmore 'massif' !  

his daddy is the prodigious stallion (and former derby winner), Galileo and his mum is the sensational  Ouija Board. (oaks winner). if breeding means anything, this fella had to be the derby winner 2014 as soon as his mum was confirmed to be in foal.

third successive derby triumph for trainer Aiden O'Brien which is a record. given the length of time the race has been run for, i doubt this will be equalled.

As you know it doesn't always work out like that. I remember many years ago it was whispered that Bernard Van Cutsem had a wonder horse. Impeccable bred (can't remember  the line) but at the time was unraced. Gallops gossip. This was during my racing days and money and my wallet were easily separated. I thought I'll have some of this and duly went ahead. It had two races as a two year old when a donkey from Margate beach could have probably given it a couple of lengths before being hastily retired to stud.

But he did train Park Top who cost peanuts.

I agree three successive wins will probably never be beaten. Even the great Vincent never managed that.

Edited by knocker

For me Vincent was the greatest of all time because he won more classics with one horse is son floods the classics with at least 3 horses per race and Joseph is a very lucky ordinary jockey.Funny how they havent grab Ryan Moore with both hands.

Not forgetting he also won the National.

True and had a very ordinary jockey Lester LOL

Yes for sure the greatest jockey in my time and the bugger still owes me for a taxi fair from his hotel to Longchamp. He was always a tight so and so.

Btw keith, aiden and vincent are not related. (maybe very distant generations back)! Its just co incidence.

Yes for sure the greatest jockey in my time and the bugger still owes me for a taxi fair from his hotel to Longchamp. He was always a tight so and so.

Yes Willy Carson said he get out and do a runner on a number of times ,but that was his downfall lol.Did you really share a with the great man?Knocker

Edited by keithlucky