Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 08/08/14 16z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Been raining with a wintry mix here, need the DP and temp to drop overnight or else it'l be a wet mix that doesn't even try to stick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

uppers must be warmer now, that latest shower was just sleet,

friday looking like a washout writeoff, GFS 12Z massive downgrade, 00Z and 06Z had a dry friday

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

plenty of snow action today in Peak District. mainly around Tideswell, Great Longstone. couple of photos with phone and small clip as I drove over Longstone.Posted ImageIMAG1385.jpgPosted ImageIMAG1387.jpg

edit won,t let me upload vid from phone. ??

Yes Mark that's just a mile or so from me ! Snow became very heavy on one point catching lot's of people out... some had meted in the sun this afternoon but still have a covering of around 3cm here, and light snow showers started around an hour ago.

Temp 0.8c

Dp -0.3c

Wind Chill -2.7c, S/W 7mph.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Heavy snow now Posted Image

Plenty of showers building to our West on the Radar..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I see the "heavy snow" forecast for overnight has been downgraded to sleet and rain. Was I surprised? No.

• Like 2

Posted

Trust the FLASH webcam to be broken today ( up the road from buxton)

S

Enjoy Buxton on Friday Posted Image

Posted

Surprised how bullish Midlands today was. Shefali noted '2-5CM widely, that could be conservative over high ground'./ 

Posted

Also tommorrow evening - Shefali said it was likely showers would be wintry again overnight.

Posted Image

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

It's Shefali though, she's always wrong, still haven't forgiven her for her overnight promise of a 20cm fall during the Feb09 cold spell, we ended up with 1cm as it all went east of my locale.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing heavily again here now. Have a good dusting right now. Can see 2cm if the showers keep coming...but going to be tricky to achieve I reckon.

More realistically I reckon quick dustings throughout the night will be the best to hope for.

Then it'll all be washed away tomorrow.

In the context of this winter, it's been a very positive day here for snow.

In the context of this decade so far....meh!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

It's Shefali though, she's always wrong, still haven't forgiven her for her overnight promise of a 20cm fall during the Feb09 cold spell, we ended up with 1cm as it all went east of my locale.

hopeless woman
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like that's it for snow showers for now acording to the radar. Next shot will be the early hours then this little spell of wintryness will be at an end.

Posted

Looks like that's it for snow showers for now acording to the radar. Next shot will be the early hours then this little spell of wintryness will be at an end.

Not sure why your posts seem downbeat, any snow wasn't forecast until at least 1-2am onwards according to all forecasts that I've seen.

Posted

Not sure why your posts seem downbeat, any snow wasn't forecast until at least 1-2am onwards according to all forecasts that I've seen.

i'm not downbeat at all...where'd you get that idea? Very pleased with developments today.

Guess you can't get a tone of voice across on the internet!

Posted

i'm not downbeat at all...where'd you get that idea? Very pleased with developments today.

Guess you can't get a tone of voice across on the internet!

Apologies if tone wasn't quite bang on, your post made it sound like you expected a rash of showers to be over us currently and because there wasn't...that was that.