Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

E.N.S.O. Discussion

Gray-Wolf

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

More recent model runs weakening the proposed (current not onset) El Nino. Awaiting BOM next update. I was thinking the last 3 months it would be ENSO neutral or weakish Modoki. I was favouring neutral, but looks like I guessed wrong according to models. All shall be come clear soon, though.

ECMWF and MetO appear to be on the top end of the estimate still. Can change.

Solar fairly weak. Not yet clear if minimum. But low, none the less.

This, of course, leads to unknowns for the second half of Autumn and early winter. I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that the Atlantic should have a weak influence into early winter, but how the ENSO develops the next weeks to influence Autumn is up for grabs. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

"A weak El Nino is likely"  (UK Met Office)

The UK Met Office have today (Sept 26th) published a blog with their latest thoughts on ENSO conditions this coming winter:

"Consensus is growing among scientists from a range of climate centres across the world that a weak El Niño is likely to occur during the coming northern hemisphere winter. Professor Adam Scaife is the head of long-term to decadal climate prediction at the Met Office Hadley Centre. Commenting on the expectations of an El Niño this winter, Professor Scaife said: “There is a range of forecasts, but the most likely scenario is for the development of a weak to moderate strength El Niño event."

2036441427_ElNinoMetOforecast26Sept2018.thumb.png.4cf83ab1656cc50c65b815c1423ffc44.png

The above diagram shows the temperature observations for the central region of the Pacific (in black) and the evolution predicted by the Met Office dynamical long-range ensemble forecast system (in red).

Link to blog: https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2018/09/26/a-weak-el-nino-is-likely/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A weak El Niño is likely

Consensus is growing among scientists from a range of climate centres across the world that a weak El Niño is likely to occur during the coming northern hemisphere winter.

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2018/09/26/a-weak-el-nino-is-likely/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Which imo will ‘coincide’ with a cold early winter Dec and prob Jan....this could get very interesting 

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

For us in Europe  moderate EL Nino is much better then a weak affair if we want cold winter,for example 1963/64,2009/10 against 2004/05 or 2006/07.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
8 hours ago, jules216 said:

For us in Europe  moderate EL Nino is much better then a weak affair if we want cold winter,for example 1963/64,2009/10 against 2004/05 or 2006/07.

There is very little correlation with the CET however winters that saw at least two months with weak and positive ONI values are (i have included the year as the January one)..

Weak..

Moderate..

Strong..

In terms of the CET..

A weak Nino in December favours 5.6C+.

A moderate Nino in December favours a high amplitude CET (either 3.6C< or 5.6C> - equal likelyhood).

A strong Nino in December favours a close to average CET (3.7-5.5C).

A weak Nino in January favours 3.4C< CET (i.e. colder than average).

A moderate Nino in January favours 3.4C< CET (i.e. colder than average).

A strong Nino in January favours a close to average CET (3.5-5.3C).

A weak Nino in February favours a close to average CET (3.7-5.5C).

A moderate Nino in February favours a CET of 3.5C or above (equal chance of close to average or above average).

A strong Nino in February favours a close to average CET (3.5-5.3C).

Worth saying that the winter of 2010 is a strong anomaly for any Nino winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Can I ask a question? As far as I understand weak or moderate el nino is good to promote MJO convection signature, why is super nino or strong el nino not even better then? ocean temperatures are even warmer so should the MJO not be even more pronounced and easier to enter phases 7,8 or 1 which are conductive to blocking at high lats. I did understand the mechanisms behind strong la nina that it kills the convection because of stronger easterlies in tropics, but I wonder what mechanisms work in super ninos that are causing these zonal winters like 1982/83,1997/87,2015/16

Edited by jules216

Posted
27 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

There is very little correlation with the CET however winters that saw at least two months with weak and positive ONI values are (i have included the year as the January one)..

Weak..

Moderate..

Strong..

In terms of the CET..

A weak Nino in December favours 5.6C+.

A moderate Nino in December favours a high amplitude CET (either 3.6C< or 5.6C> - equal likelyhood).

A strong Nino in December favours a close to average CET (3.7-5.5C).

A weak Nino in January favours 3.4C< CET (i.e. colder than average).

A moderate Nino in January favours 3.4C< CET (i.e. colder than average).

A strong Nino in January favours a close to average CET (3.5-5.3C).

A weak Nino in February favours a close to average CET (3.7-5.5C).

A moderate Nino in February favours a CET of 3.5C or above (equal chance of close to average or above average).

A strong Nino in February favours a close to average CET (3.5-5.3C).

Worth saying that the winter of 2010 is a strong anomaly for any Nino winter.

Really? I did some re-analysis myself, but had 2009/10 as a moderate el nino,which probably contributed to much more pronounced colder anomalies,  I have tried to use years which had low solar activity,although I didn't differentiate between beginning or the end of solar minimum  years, it clearly shows that as a winter the anomalies were much colder in those moderate ones with low solar,then weak ones, mind you 4 winters are quite a poor statistically significant evidence.

week el nino composites temperature.png

moderate el nino composites temperature.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Really? I did some re-analysis myself, but had 2009/10 as a moderate el nino,which probably contributed to much more pronounced colder anomalies,  I have tried to use years which had low solar activity,although I didn't differentiate between beginning or the end of solar minimum  years, it clearly shows that as a winter the anomalies were much colder in those moderate ones with low solar,then weak ones, mind you 4 winters are quite a poor statistically significant evidence.

week el nino composites temperature.png

moderate el nino composites temperature.png

ONI has it strong. 

I went only for likelyhood rather than average. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

ONI has it strong. 

I went only for likelyhood rather than average. 

I used this table that I found here last season

i7zoobdizc9l3.jpg.d0301ccfe26a123ecad275e517850f78.jpg

Posted

Where is this nonsense coming from that El Niño is going to cause months of blizzards from?  

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Where is this nonsense coming from that El Niño is going to cause months of blizzards from?  

BFTP

The tabloids I think.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The tabloids I think.

It’s as if El Niño is a new phenomena that gets me.....

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

Yes, yet when we had the Dec 10 that they blamed it on La nina, so make up their minds please, which is it? of course that's a rhetorical question, its neither, we have had brutal winters and mild winters in El nino, La nina and ENSO neutral, not saying it has no effect but for our part of the world its very unclear and depends on solar activity, QBO, PDO as well etc.

• Like 1

Posted

looking into fantasy world surly we haven't all ready  to look east to see what is coming  our  way there  interesting  things happening   with what  i saw  the met office  was saying  this week  at 384 hr our weather looking  like:cold: its coming from  the east

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&amp;ech=204

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

IMO Fred, that's the fault of the media, who routinely distil/oversimplify complex phenomena into easily-misunderstood soundbites and/or lies.

Then again, they do a similar thing with the so-called 'forecasts' provided by the likes of Madden & Corbyn, each spring and autumn; every year (as though they were saying something profound) they repeat the same old garbage under the same old hackneyed headline. I guess they think their readership has the attention-span of a goldfish...?

They might well be right!:help:

in a weak state there is pretty much ZERO point in reanalising these years in isolation as just one teleconnection.

Plus as highlighted with the exception of a super strong Elnino pretty much all analogues are out of the window due to climate induced pattern change...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
8 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

Plus as highlighted with the exception of a super strong Elnino pretty much all analogues are out of the window due to climate induced pattern change...

I suspect this is true. For me the changes in arctic sea ice, and energy that is now stored at high latitudes for much longer than used to be the case with knock on effects on polar pressure patterns, makes the past truly a thing of the past. We can still read the spikes in pacific driven AAM and predict when we will see a more buckled jet and consequent height rises, but how this interacts with polar air masses to the far north is now a new game altogether. Anything much before 2005 is working from a different background state, and analogues are going to be off.

Curiously I wonder if the strat vortex is likely to be perturbed more often in the new state of the world. We are seeing some very persistent blocks these days, and it might be that, while the world warms, our extremes of winter weather increase. Since 2009 we have had a series of quite extreme weather phases through winter, and some stratospheric events that have created significant impacts. March 2018 was extraordinary...but my gut is telling me that we might well have seen a fair few "extraordinary" events in our winter timeline by the time we reach 2030.

• Like 7

Posted
23 hours ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

I think you have to differentiate CP and EP El Nino's. Please read this blog: http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2018/

Yes I know,not possible to take only 1 teleconnection in isolation,there might not be many matching analogues if we get in to details 

• 3 weeks later...