Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

now i see on sky news  Thames valley  is in danger of  flooding this  week  Thames  is   in  full flood

now i see on sky news  Thames valley  is in danger of  flooding this  week  Thames  is   in  full flood

Yes that is another reason COBRA meet yesterday as there is growing concern about the amount of water that will be passing down the Thames over the week. They are making sure that they protect water treatment and electricity sub station facilities which reminds me of a few years ago when they came very close to losing that power station somewhere which apart from the flooding would have a serious impact for many thousands of people.

Here in Bedford we have now had two dry days and it looks as though that could continue today and tomorrow or if it does rain it won't be on the scale of Thursday or Friday of last week. it makes you wonder what we would be doing if all that had fell as snowPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The shorter term shenanigans. Posted Image

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79215-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-onwards/?p=2922193

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Good morning all,

Very breezy morning here but thankfully dry.

Went to the O2 last night to see Strictly Come Dancing on tour with my daughter. I wish I could dance like that!

and yes, the lovely Artem bared his chest Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Rather windy this morning, fairly dry just a few spots of rain from the thickest cloud as it races by.

Posted

Last night in Eastbourne was the worst night I have ever experienced in this country.  Hail, wind, thunder, lighting...it was terrifying and I hope that whatever comes next isn't anywhere near this level. Even though sunny now the wind is still gusting strongly

Edited by Rendaridra
  • Like 6

Posted

Last night in Eastbourne was the worst night I have ever experienced in this country.  Hail, wind, thunder, lighting...it was terrifying and I hope that whatever comes next isn't anywhere near this level.

Was pretty lively wasn't it. We actually got off lightly! There were more storms drifting along in the channel. I have never seen torrential hail like we had.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just took a walk from Surbiton to Kingston along with riverside. Anyone familiar with it will know the upper footpath is quite above the river normally.

Well today the lower path is not there at all, the water is lapping against the upper path, and as you get towards Kingston you need to walk on the pavement.

John Lewis have installed some metal flood defences and the river is over the road there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Still very blustery here and dull and cloudy. No thunder and lightning for us last night unfortunately. Seems like there was some good uns (storms) down South early this morning. Ah, well.....never mind.

Have a good day, everyone....and sports fans, enjoy your Winter Olympics. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Well further to my earlier post, maybe the wind won't be a problem but I see there are a number of warnings re-issued about rain through to Thursday for some parts of our region.

Here's the link, however I am sure that MKSA will post the full warnings once she returns from the slopesPosted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=se&fcTime=1391904000

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something different!

Just back from Normans Bay and the wind was so strong it was blowing the sand like a sand storm and it was very difficult to walk against the wind as it was so powerful. The beach has had a facelift over the past few months and the landscape has changed as a result of the weather we have had on the coast.

Posted

Tuesday seemed to be a day to watch previously with wind, rain and snow being suggested but from what I am reading doesn't seem to be such an issue anymore - or am I not reading correctly?

Today's inspired poem -

Weather

Will there be snow?

No

But they don't rescind

That there will be wind

And rain

Again

Thank you, thank you, please throw money in the cap on your way out.Posted Image

• Like 7

Saldy I see no rest bite in terms of wind and rain this week..

Monday..

Showers from the word go really..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some looking pretty heavy too.. Wind not an issue..

Monday night and Tuesday

Monday night looks dry at the moment but Tuesday is far from dry..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Front bringing heavy rain..

Wednesday..

Day time fine but check this bad boy out..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Damaging winds over land and coast..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rain too..

Loads of it... :(

Posted Image

Thursday see a showery day I think won't go into too much detail as confidence begins to slip..

But Friday..

Says it all really..

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well was a blowy walk to the next village again today, some short sharp bursts of rain too, back and finally had a long enough dry spell to put out the car charger.

Feeling a tad cooler too.

In other news the geese have finally started laying eggs again :)

Posted Image

Just need to decide what I will do with them?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Quite appropriate as I'm watching people launch themselves down a slippery icy slope on a tea tray ......

Yellow Warning of Ice for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes & Oxfordshire

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Norfolk & Peterborough

Icy stretches may form on untreated surfaces on Sunday night. The public should be aware of the potential for some locally difficult driving conditions.

Issued at:

1206 on Sun 9 Feb 2014

Valid from:

2200 on Sun 9 Feb 2014

Valid to:

1000 on Mon 10 Feb 2014

Clear skies will allow temperatures to fall below freezing in many areas on Sunday night. This leads to a risk of icy patches on untreated surfaces, especially where the ground remains wet or damp from recent rainfall, and also where showers continue to occur overnight. In addition, wintry showers may lead to small accumulations of snow across the high ground of Wales and Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

not convinced peeps are posting up weather charts rather than dart boards for the last few months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Somewhere under that lot is half of the UK. Paints a very sombre picture.

Posted Image

Some newspaper ought to print that on its front page. Like the Snow Britain one a few years ago...

Just seen my friend who was sacked from his job of 25 years with the National Rivers Authority (has a degree from Cirencester) when the Environment Agency took over river and watercourse management back in 2000. He had some 'interesting' things to say upon the matter. He's staying with my sister while his wife's having chemo in Cambridge.

He ought to be on TV and explain to people what's been going on (or more accurately NOT been going on) for the last 14 years. There is no one better qualified to do so as he used to travel the length and breadth of the country all week inspecting rivers and other watercourses and deciding whether they needed attention.

post-8078-0-40687800-1391958801_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Further spells of rain, heavy at times, and accompanied by strong winds are expected during Monday night and Tuesday.

The public should be aware of the risk of further disruption due to flooding.

This is an update to the Alert to include some rainfall amounts. A further update is likely on Monday.

Issued at:

1053 on Sun 9 Feb 2014

Valid from:

0015 on Tue 11 Feb 2014

Valid to:

2345 on Tue 11 Feb 2014

Another area of low pressure and its associated fronts are likely to affect the UK during Monday night and Tuesday, bringing a further spell of heavy rain and strong winds, particularly to southern areas.

There remains considerably uncertainty in the track and timing of this low pressure system, but 10 to 20 mm rainfall is likely quite widely, with over 30mm possible across parts of South Wales and southwest England. With ongoing flooding in some places, any further rain will only add to the problems. Very gusty winds may be an added hazard in places.

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Alert of Rain for East of England :

Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Southend-on-Sea, Thurrock & Bedford

Following a brighter, showery interlude on Wednesday, perhaps with some gusty winds and wintry showers, a further spell of widespread rain, heavy in places, is likely to spread northeastwards across England and Wales during the afternoon, evening and overnight, perhaps lasting into Thursday. Following earlier heavy rainfall, the public should be aware of the potential for further flooding in places.

Gale force winds are likely to be an added hazard in places.

This is an update to the Alert first issued on Sunday.

Issued at:

1135 on Sun 9 Feb 2014

Valid from:

1500 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to:

1200 on Thu 13 Feb 2014

Another Atlantic depression is expected to bring a spell of heavy rainfall and strong winds to parts of the UK later on Wednesday, perhaps lasting into Thursday. The track and intensity of the depression is currently very uncertain, meaning that confidence in rainfall amounts and distribution across the UK is low. However, southern and western parts of England and Wales look most likely to see further heavy rainfall. Falling soon after earlier widespread rainfall, the cumulative effects of these weather systems are likely to exacerbate the current flooding situation. This Alert will be updated over the coming days.

• Like 1

Posted

Severe flood warnings coming in for the river thames

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Thursday looks terrible if the mods verify (see Atlantic storm thread). Hope this changes!!

Edited by scotteboi