hi yamks

thats not the first time is it

about time they dealt with these flood defences properly

still thinking glacial rebound

but you know my thoughts on that

oh check mammouth lakes

you will know what i mean

Hi JP,

Not the first time that part of Purley has had flooding, but this current situation is much worse.

I definitely know what you mean about glacial rebound etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Such heavy showers just now then an almighty flash of lightning and loud thunder! Not sounding good elsewhere...

I hope the thunder part of that shower is gone once it gets here.

Posted

Interesting Brazilian model for the 15th Feb showing a blast of very cold air over the UK Posted Image

post-2721-0-71733500-1391910958_thumb.pn

Posted

my god this weather is getting worse in Eastbourne, my windows sound like they are going to crack with the hail...

Hi Rendaridra,

There's more sporadic ppn on the way from the West and the energy surrounding this system is very violent indeed, hence what you are experiencing right now. Please stay safe.

Yamkin

• Like 1

Posted

Still no more than a bit of a breeze here all night

Hi steveinsussex,

Incoming ppn will be upon you soon and the wind gusts will really increase for a time with possible hail, lightning & thunder.

Yamkin

Posted

The winds have been somewhat unusual here tonight, with the same pattern for the last 4 hours or so.  A few minutes of almost dead calm is followed by a sudden rush of air for a few seconds then all quiet again.

I live right next to a 30ft high railway embankment and on the other side of the embankment is a large park. I can literally hear the individual wind gusts approaching as they cross the park, cross the railway embankment and blast though ( or more accurately over ) my tiny garden. Some of the gusts have been pretty ferocious I must say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

One thing I have noticed is that our river goes down very rapidly. I have always wondered why it would be very high in the morning and then be a small stream again in the afternoon. I think it's because we are on top of a hill and the river starts just North of the town, it's faster flowing here so I can only assume the extra water flows straight through us and then floods areas further downstream. As terrible as it may sound, I love it when our river surges (inevitably flooding towns further south), it rarely happens but it looks so beautiful. The highest level recorded was on 04/06/2008 where we had 12 hours of constant torrential rain, I remember that day well. The highest the river ever went was actually in 1968 when the river peaked at around 3.5 metres, 2 times higher than that scale goes below. It caused extensive flooding across much of the town and was the only recorded river flooding Buntingford ever witnessed, caused by a similar scenario as 2008. 

Data shows it drops nearly a metre in just 12 hours. 

Posted Image

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted

Just been woken by an almighty storm overhead thunder and lightning. Did try to go back to sleep but its driving the dogs loopy brief power cut for a second or so.

Thunder making the house shake!

Pretty strong eh.
  • Like 1

Posted

Just been woken by an almighty storm overhead thunder and lightning. Did try to go back to sleep but its driving the dogs loopy brief power cut for a second or so.Pretty strong eh.

Yes it is, I was just dropping off to sleep again from the first one an hour and a half ago...
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes it is, I was just dropping off to sleep again from the first one an hour and a half ago...

Tell me about it. Currently got two German Shepherds trying to sit on my lap! So until this one goes away no chance of sleep.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Woken up by the dog barking and realised that he was barking at almighty flashes of lightning! The wind is really howling too and It's difficult to hear thunder over the noise of the wind. I guess the storm has made it way up inland to me from Sussex Jules!

No chance of sleep for a while as cats are now in th bed with me too. Needless to say, no movement from my two sons!

• Like 3

Posted

Seems quiet now. Trouble is I'm wide awake now typical. Dogs were totally freaked out by that little lot whilst the cats are strutting around saying "thunder, pfft do your worst".

Looking back through the radar sequence you can see the squall line forming just to the west of here, crazy night for the weather, 3 storms in one night.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

I know Jules. I am thinking about getting up and making a cup of tea as I too am now wide awake!

You are right, the wind does seemed to have calmed down a bit in the last 10 minutes. The house is not rattling as much. Those showers were pretty potent though.

Let's hope this is the last of it for tonight, or we will need matchsticks to keep our eyes open in the morning!

• Like 1

Posted

Good morning all . Posted Image The wind has abated slightly here in the suburbs but the radar is looking a bit lively to our west. I can appreciate not everyone likes a thunderstorm but if you Sussex folk can push it my way I would be very grateful !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

Posted Image endless and rather loud buffeting wind IS diabolical. Posted Image

Posted

Posted Image endless and rather loud buffeting wind IS diabolical. Posted Image

Here inland it's not quite so bad, but it has been gusting here for close on 8 hours now and the winds have intensified during that time.

Posted

a wild night here in  ipswich  they windy

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Morning all, odd gusts and what's sound like passing showers, must have slept soundly last night as I wasn't awoken by anything last night, not even the now traditional, well I better not go their, as I know you youngster have better bladders than us old en's. The trees are swaying a bit outside, the grey clouds are scudding past at a fair old lick.

I reread MK advice about popping over to the learning thread and never being to old to learn, she right (as usual), but I am finding that my brain cannot take anymore information, basically it full up. It's seem to be dumping recent information, but keeping the older stuff, I think it needs a good defrag, I have always had an active brain, and keep it so by continuing to epsork, undertaking complex designs and reading, doing puzzles etc.. I believe that excersising you mind is vital as you get older, and for me its a lot less painful than excersising your body. Not worried about the slight loss in memory, as I always got a notepad and pencil assuming I can find them:-). But what is annoying and to be fair it's been with me all my life is the inability to but faces to names, take the other day when I was at my nice restaurant on the wife's 60th this bloke walked I knew him, could I remember his name, or even where I knew him from, of course not, I go to meetings with 10 to 12 around a table, introductions done and within 5 minutes, I can't remember anyone's names. It was explained to me once, by a doctor, that its because I am not interested in the people, seemed a bit harsh, but I suppose he's right.

I read on here recently that music bring back memories and boy does it, I got a iPod in the car with around a thousand of my kind of music on (be stupid if I didn't like the music wouldn't it) and on long journeys the old memories come flooding back, often it feels like the people are in the car with, and you are reliving those long lose days of the past, what worrying is the conversations I can remember, but annoyingly I now find that smells have a similar result. The smell of leather takes me back to my dad's first car, must be 30 or 40 years ago, strange. I suppose what I am trying to say is what a wonderful bit of kit our brain is, and how important it is to keep it fit. Will I take MK advice and wander into the learning area, I doubt it as I know I won't have the time for the next couple of years, even though deep down I went to as I know the mental exercise will be good for me.

Feel in a very strange reflective mood today, think I must have slept heavy last night.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Very windy here, with cloud scudding past. Therefore there is no great inclination to get out and about here at the moment.

If I was on the South Coast though, I'd be up and looking at the inevitable very large waves there now. :)

• Like 5