Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Woken up to not a bad morning to be honest ,little bit of wind but it's dry ( for now anyway) .I hope the weather doesn't get too bad today for all those poor people that have been affected by the floods .Have a good weekend guys and stay safe x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Good morning everyone. Well, that was a noisy night! The gusts of wind woke me up several times as did the noise of the rain!

At the moment it has actually stopped raining and the sky has started to go from dark grey to lighter grey.

Looking at the shipping forecast that Steve C kindly posted, I don't think I would want to be on a boat anywhere around the south coast today.

Looks like it is a day for staying indoors, watching the Winter Olympics as it is probably the nearest we will get to seeing snow this winter, and having toasted tea cakes and watching the rugby this afternoon.

If you are out and about today, take care.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Morning all! I slept through Ruth's onslaught. A bit breezy here now, but dry atleast for now.

Wales v Ireland today,come on the boys!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder, sunny days

Eerily quiet here this morning. Was expecting to have stronger winds than the seemingly light breeze we currently have. I assume it is still going to pick up a bit though based on what is happening elsewhere. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Well a very windy night, the waves are crashing in, we are about 20metres from the beach, the sky is amazing its constantly changing from a blue sky to black, loving the noise of the sea

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunder ~ both together would be great !

Rain has just stopped in whistable very heavy stuff but didn't last long

Posted

Well a very windy night, the waves are crashing in, we are about 20metres from the beach.......

Crikey, that must have been one wild night if the coast has eroded all the way inland to Wallington /Croydon.Posted Image

All joking aside it was a bit wet and windy for a while overnight here but I don't think conditions are going to be too bad inland later today. Fingers crossed for the already flooded areas and affected coastal regions though.

Have a good weekend folks Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

There she blows, smiling as she goes!post-16115-0-85327700-1391849708_thumb.j

It didnt seem too bad here in the night, certainly windy and rainy but nothing extreme. I hope everyone is alright and has a great weekend :)

• Like 5

Posted

Morning all

Woke to a heavy hailstorm at about 6:30 that left some slushy deposits. Sunshine at the moment, a rising wind and a beautiful just-washed light all around.

Under 11s football team have just had their 5th match of the season called off due to waterlogging, at this rate they will still be playing in August.

Have a good weekend

AS

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Well, our Ruthie wasn't so bad around here at least. It was very windy and it rained heavily but nowt out of the ordinary.

We have sunshine now but it's very cloudy so guess more to come. :) And it's a tad windy.

Have a good day and whatever you plan to do, stay safe. I plan to be extremely lazy. :)

• Like 2

Winds will be increasing from the west today as we progress into this evening... 50-60mph inland up to 75mph on the coast..

post-12648-0-39642900-1391851039_thumb.j

Next we got these intense thundery showers to deal with and they are really stacking up in the channel...

post-12648-0-01390800-1391851074_thumb.j

EDIT: Wind really really gusting here now.... 

Peak winds... 

Posted Image

For me the peak would be between 9pm-12am tonight as the isobars are at their tightest point..

Looking into next week..

This is bad..

Posted Image

This is worse..

Posted Image

Another edit while I type this: The wind is just suddenly constantly blowing a real gale now;...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Mornin each. Well, our Ruthie wasn't so bad around here at least. It was very windy and it rained heavily but nowt out of the ordinary.

We have sunshine now but it's very cloudy so guess more to come. Posted Image And it's a tad windy.

Have a good day and whatever you plan to do, stay safe. I plan to be extremely lazy. Posted Image

I plan to mostly watch the winter Olympics - Morning all - it's a rather lovely one here at the moment blue sky and sun, I'm not sure there is enough sunshine to dry up all the rain though  Posted Image

Have a nice day folks - best wishes to those with ongoing issues weather related or personal ones Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Just had some weather here.  :D

Heavy hailstone shower at around 9:15am.  The most exciting thing to happen today, I'm sure. :)

Have a good day all, whatever you are doing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Morning all, first round of winds peaked at 61mph gusts here according to the MetO. Dropped down to a gusty breeze for now though, awaiting round two later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Crikey, that must have been one wild night if the coast has eroded all the way inland to Wallington /Croydon.Posted Image

All joking aside it was a bit wet and windy for a while overnight here but I don't think conditions are going to be too bad inland later today. Fingers crossed for the already flooded areas and affected coastal regions though.

Have a good weekend folks Posted Image

That add be laughter, just away for wife's 40th birthday!

Have a good weekend

Made me laugh that should say, stupid iPad changing words

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just looked in the mod thread and it looks like shanon is making an appearance as early as just past 48 hours, that normally indicates the models are struggling with something, normally a change, but not always. Fingers crossed that this time it does mean a change to something dryer.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, the showers have arrived here now. Hoping we don't see too much rain and wind today.

Posted

Help, for some reason today whilst doing what all men do it the bathroom (think), a question has sprung into my mind, and for the life of me I can't get rid of it, and very surprisingly it's very much a question about weather (always have to be a first time, even if it has taken me nearly 800 posts :-)).

As some of you aware I design large industrial refrigeration plants for massive food factories, to give you an idea think of something the size of Wembley stadium. The principle of what I do is very simple (otherwise I couldn't do it), basically you convert high pressure liquid by passing it through a orifice (hole for you non technical people) and expand it into a low pressure gas, thus producing cold, a great example is when you put your finger over a bicycle pump, keep pumping and the remove your finger the air is hot when pressurised by keeping your finger over the hole but goes cold directly your remove your finger.

So my question is how does Mother Nature produce cold? Simple question properly an impossible question to answer, I know that we have the same amount of water now as when the world was first created, I also know the cold is "stored" where the sun has least influence and therefore is cold, but is there a constant amount of cold like water the meanders around the world and escapes occasionally or does Mother Nature somehow manufactures its own cold.

Hope this makes sense, I thought I would ask this question at the weekend as you would all appreciate it and have time to answer, I realise that this might not be the correct part of the forum to ask this question, and I don't mind if its get moved into a more suitable thread. Although I would think it was highly ironic that my first totally on subject post would be moved :-) whilst the question is very simple and put in an extremely simplistic manner, I got a feeling the answer will not be, if as I half expect that the answer is far to technical to explain to us mere mortals then, please feel free to say that.

I await your answers with trepidation. Whilst I am in an questioning mode, why is it I always notice my spelling mistake, missing words etc after I have posted the original version?

Regards

Kerry

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice and calm with blue skies here at the moment, was woken up around 6am by the wind and rain though - sounded awful out, but not quite enough for me to get out of bed to take a look with a mild hangover :D