Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Honest opinions please (weather related and need to decide within the next 2 hours) would you risk a trip to Devon this weekend. Go around 4pm and returning Sunday lunch time.Have had a really bad time personally this week and desperately need a break. As I have hit breaking point.Katie

Hi Katie,

sorry to hear youve had a rough time. TBH looking at the way things are panning out, I personally think if you leave at 4pm in Friday traffic with the water so high, you will be lucky to get there by sunday lunch time.

If its a break you need, i think you will be spending a lot of time in the car getting there and then probably stuck inside once there.....Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

Honest opinions please (weather related and need to decide within the next 2 hours) would you risk a trip to Devon this weekend. Go around 4pm and returning Sunday lunch time.Have had a really bad time personally this week and desperately need a break. As I have hit breaking point.Katie

no.. depending when you are travelling (day time today might be okay) but you will really feel the full force of the storm down there.. would be interesting...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Aye.....the sun is out here now as well. Make the most of it, folks because....I'm no expert, far from it but, I've just been taking a peep at the satellite and that system in the Atlantic seems to be making pretty sharp headway. :O

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Going through a similar thing myself at the moment. Best wishes to all and yours. Keep strong.

Best wishes Jules. I'd imagine Hellingly's looking interesting at the moment?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

afternoon everyone,

beautiful blue skies and sunshine here at the moment. I might grab a chair and sit in the sun for a bit while its out. Soak up some Vit D! 

Sending lots of postive, happy and get well soon vibes to all those who could use them and some virtual hugs too xx

• Like 5

Posted

Best wishes Jules. I'd imagine Hellingly's looking interesting at the moment?

Thanks for that. Yea I dread to think what it is like today it was pretty bad last Saturday.

Looks like we may have to bail out Yamkin and John P. South Croydon flooding has been declared a major incident by Croydon Council

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26081139

Posted

Katie. Sorry but I don't think  it would be wise making this journey, especially given the fact you would be travelling in Friday rush hour conditions and to an area already beset with weather/travel related problems. I can fully understand your need for a break, but I fear this journey is more likely to add to your stress, not alleviate it.

Is there nowhere closer to home you can have a break ?

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Thanks for that. Yea I dread to think what it is like today it was pretty bad last Saturday.

Looks like we may have to bail out Yamkin and John P. South Croydon flooding has been declared a major incident by Croydon Council

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26081139

Wouldn't surprise me, seen it flood before, but that was after a really big heavy thunder storm. There's a river called the bourne which only runs about every 7 years, tends to pool at the Tesco in purley then go down the Brighton road towards croydon. Then also the wandle used to start in croydon but has been built right over, may be it's trying to take it's territory back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Thanks for all your nice messages, will get round to liking them all but unfortunately I have reached the maximum like quota for Netweather today as I have just been looking back through the previous 40 pages that I've missed, you've all been very busy while I've been away!,Posted Image

Lots of love and best wishes to you and yours from many of us here. I am sure that everyone here is with you in mind. i have no hesitation in stating that.

Tough times, many of us have been through similar situations i' m sure.

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 1

Posted

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England : Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock valid from 1900 Fri 07 Feb to 2345 Sat 08 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Hi Katie,sorry to hear youve had a rough time. TBH looking at the way things are panning out, I personally think if you leave at 4pm in Friday traffic with the water so high, you will be lucky to get there by sunday lunch time. If its a break you need, i think you will be spending a lot of time in the car getting there and then probably stuck inside once there.....Good luck whatever you decide to do.

My heads in such a mess I have totaly lost track of the upcoming weather. hence asking to you guys and gals for honest opinions. I have been trying to weigh up the pros and cons. If it was just me and Hubbie. I would go without a 2nd thought, being a severe weather lover. But we have 4 kids to consider too. I know my views are clouded right now, but imagine the thrill of watching the waves in Dawlish. Katie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Reporting in from staggeringly bright warm sunshine in Coldwaltham.

The flood plains of the River Arun are being well utilised- acres of water with the elevated train line passing through. Those newish elevated houses on the South side of Pulborough were designed with good foresight.

Posted

Stunning sunshine! My family  (without me) will be en-route Euston to Glasgow 530pm tonight via Virgin trains - was confident that should be fine but looks like that weather is speeding up? Our last journey was an epic 16.5 hours during the post-Christmas storm and we decamped to a taxi in Milton Keynes…anyway, I have PROMISED my 9 year old it will be fine but fearing I might eat my words??? Looks like the met office is also shifting its warnings forward? To me, I feel they are just right in front of the weather but am I wrong?

And, btw, thanks to all for all the expertise lately - it's been great reading...

Edited by AmericanSusie
  • Like 2

Stunning sunshine! My family  (without me) will be en-route Euston to Glasgow 530pm tonight via Virgin trains - was confident that should be fine but looks like that weather is speeding up? Our last journey was an epic 16.5 hours during the post-Christmas storm and we decamped to a taxi in Milton Keynes…anyway, I have PROMISED my 9 year old it will be fine but fearing I might eat my words??? Looks like the met office is also shifting its warnings forward? To me, I feel they are just right in front of the weather but am I wrong?

And, btw, thanks to all for all the expertise lately - it's been great reading...

Get on a plane, get yourself over to the sunny beaches of spain (well maybe not) and take a proper break. 

I know how it feels to be proper stressed out, but the last thing you want is to start going down to Devon and things go pear shape and you have to come home

or go North, as the storm wont effect them AS much but will still be very wild as it swings northwards

• Like 2

Posted

Ahhhh. Sunny Spain. I wish. I'm stuck in London working in the middle of a flooded football pitch for the weekend whilst kids head north. Thx Surrey…I am going to cross fingers that they are just ahead of the storm curve…but - yeah - (gloat) off to sunny Florida next week.  It's been a weatherful month of extremes here for me with a recent nyc trip into -12 and snow, then back to this deluge, soon to sunshine...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Anyone know when the storm is likely to hit EA Ipswich area, please? I have family travelling and I'd like to know if possible. Thanks guys. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

no.. depending when you are travelling (day time today might be okay) but you will really feel the full force of the storm down there.. would be interesting...

I think I have to be realistic and grin and bear it here. Not worth the risk. Currently out in very rural Bucks and the roads are bad enough here. Good knows what Devon/ Dawlish is like. Katie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Afternoon all.

Firstly love and best wishes to BJaykent and family. Very trying and upsetting times. Love and peace to you all.

I was so shocked at the strange yellow disk in the blue sky, I had to Wiki it to find out what it was!

Roofers just arrived again. Just as it's clouding over!

Shopping this evening. Bet it'll be raining :-(

• Like 1

Posted

My heads in such a mess I have totaly lost track of the upcoming weather. hence asking to you guys and gals for honest opinions. I have been trying to weigh up the pros and cons. If it was just me and Hubbie. I would go without a 2nd thought, being a severe weather lover. But we have 4 kids to consider too.

I know my views are clouded right now, but imagine the thrill of watching the waves in Dawlish.

Katie

It's good that you asked Katie and I hope you don't mind the advice you have been given here by several of us.

Re Dawlish, to be quite honest I think the best that can happen for the good folk down there is that the tv crews and sightseers stay away from the town and allow the emergency services, repair crews and locals to carry on with their essential work unhindered. Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Just like to add my thoughts and best wishes to BJkent and SussexJules. Having been through something similar with my Mum a good few years ago, I hope you can keep things positive, it does help, and I wish you both the best.

Katie, I hope things are not so bad as they first seem, and that you have a good weekend with your family.

We have had a rare bit of sunshine here this morning - quite a shock!. It had clouded over now and the wind is beginning to pick up. Awaiting the next rain to see what happens to the river near here. The fields are under water again, so it will not take too much to flood again.

• Like 2

Posted

I love this forum to bits but I have to say sometimes we get ourselves a bit too worked up in here. Talk of putting off travel plans etc tomorrow just feels a bit extreme to me. Yes it will be windy, yes it will be rainy but I have to say I think the world will keep on turning. Pals of mine that arent weather geeks wouldn't even notice any real change tomorrow to the usual clag we've been experiencing lately. Stick to your plans, take caution, keep smiling Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Aye.....the sun is out here now as well. Make the most of it, folks because....I'm no expert, far from it but, I've just been taking a peep at the satellite and that system in the Atlantic seems to be making pretty sharp headway. Posted Image

Satellite image from Eumetsat shows the UK in a calmer lull, but the next storm looms in the Atlantic..

post-10773-0-52950900-1391783673_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Yeah - just goes on and on doesn't it! I think I can't be bothered moaning about it anymore!

Last nights rain really upped the ante in the River Ousel in LB, it was absolutely raging this morning and sadly the Enviro agency has placed a flood warning on it now.