Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Ooooh look, a clean bright sparkly new page for me to make a mess of. Morning all.

I was just about to type that the rain seemed to have eased off here in the last 20 minutes or so........but I should have known that wouldn't last. Pah.

As someone who has had major spinal surgery myself I was pleased to hear that  Chilly Millys daughters' operations have now been completed, and I wish them all well on the long road to what I hope for her will be a full recovery.

Have a good poets day folks.Posted Image

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 8

Posted

(I've been up all night after going out in Camden!) In the past half an hour or so, the wind and rain has really picked up in London... Lots of flooding issues will be occurring in and around London.

Posted

Morning all, Just got up, feeling good looked out the window, now feel deeply depressed, guess what raining hard. When will this continuous stream of low pressure systems end. Flooding will become a serious problem shortly. Off to the office today, so will see plenty off flooding, dreading going through Dartford and pass the church, since they put in the new flood defences Dartford centre haven't flooded, but the darenth yesterday was half way up the back of the chairs, I would that upstream then it would have burst its banks.

Got to get a new starter underway today, so will get wet showing him his van etc., this is an unusual new starter, it's the first engineer we the directors haven't interviewed and we left it totally to the recommendations of others, so at least I can blame them. Seriously the lad had been unemployed for a while so its nice to get him back in work. He will become our furthest engineer north (Huddersfield) so we had a chat with our super salesmen and told him to expand our area where we are actively looking for work, could be interesting as there's plenty of food factories up in that neck of the woods. So it look like we are expanding again. Whilst talking about expansion look like we need some more engineers around the Reading, Swindon, Bristol area as we have decide that this area is soon to be targeted.

Hopefully I will get home tonight, going by MK map above it look like high winds are due around 3pm so hopefully the Dartford bridge will remain open until I get over it. Tomorrow I'm hopeful that I will see my first game of football this year at the Valley, although going by the weather forecast this might be in doubt, so please can I order a dry slot from 1pm to 5:30 tomorrow afternoon, with calm winds, and a win, thank you. I hope I haven't asked for to much.

One off yesterday off subject topics was about the lack of good restaurants in the Dartford area, if anybody been to any they could recommend then I would be interested to hear of them, only one condition must have meat on the menu, owing to my allergy of fish. Always annoys me that caveat as it cuts my selection down by so much, I often sits there looking at Marion meal thinking how unfair it is, but that's what life dealt me so I got to live with it.

Have a great POETS day everyone. Really tipping it down now, oh dear, ain't good, also there's been a couple of gusts of winds lately. Rain is now coming down in biblical proportions, it's really chucking it down.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 4

Posted

Yes I know. It's 3:30 am. but can't get to sleep because husband has a smoker's cough. "In sickness and in health…" but this is ridiculous! Every other minute it's cough cough cough, clear throat, cough cough cough... it's driving me insane Posted Image

This short video from Ireland made me angry…

What on earth was this stupid woman thinking of endangering herself and her poor dog in this way?

MKA is right. Stay away from the coast, the authorities have enough problems.

Not me - I'm heading to the coast this Saturday for this incredibly rare occasion of watching the biggest swells this country has seen for a generation - epic !!
  • Like 1

Posted

Not me - I'm heading to the coast this Saturday for this incredibly rare occasion of watching the biggest swells this country has seen for a generation - epic !!

I think you mentioned Chesil Beach/Portland in another forum ?

Be careful what you wish for. Those two running for their lives in the video Iceni posted were at least in a spot where they could see what was coming..........had they been paying attention of course.

However, this wave at 24 seconds looked potentially dangerous and arrived without warning and totally unseen judging by this video.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning, it's raining again, the joys.

According to my housemate parts of Saffron Walden are flooded this morning, must have had a lot of rain last night :(

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. Posted Image

Heavy rain here an hour ago seems to have eased.

Here are a few pictures from Bude on Saturday.

Unfortunately, due to the timing of the tide, it was hard to take good photos, as the pictures were taken after sunset and with a cloudy sky, therefore very low light. There was a also a severe gale / storm force wind blowing, which made photo taking impossible, without some sort of shelter. Standing steady was absolutely impossible, let alone holding a camera, in the open! My camera gear isn't top of the range weatherproofed stuff either, so flying saltwater is something to treat with great caution.

post-11059-0-72622900-1391758628_thumb.jpost-11059-0-11246600-1391758679_thumb.jpost-11059-0-84889000-1391758714_thumb.jpost-11059-0-72114000-1391758744_thumb.jpost-11059-0-03349900-1391758781_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted

Anyone fancy a Bay of Biscay cruise, taking in the west of France, next Tuesday night / Wednesday morning, care of the ECM model? Posted Image

post-11059-0-65357400-1391761827_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Another grey day here in The Swich. Rain seems to have stopped for now but it's still very blustery out there. However, I had my bedroom window open all night and it felt lovely and fresh and not at all cold. And you could smell the river which is not a wholly unpleasant smell, but earthy and, well riparian. :)

Have a good POETS day, folks and stay safe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning Gang,

Rain again.....more to come tonight with heavy wind too.

Lots of major routes are closed or very very delayed due to flooding. A1, M1, M25, A41 and A414 around me are horrific.

Wife cant get from Hatfiled to Borehamwood due to the flooding.....More to come too...not good.

On the bight side, its POETS day, not that i can leave early but still, looking forward to getting home tonight and having a large glass Bottle of Red, White, Jack.,....I honestly dont care what it is....

• Like 4

Posted

I think you mentioned Chesil Beach/Portland in another forum ?

Be careful what you wish for. Those two running for their lives in the video Iceni posted were at least in a spot where they could see what was coming..........had they been paying attention of course.

However, this wave at 24 seconds looked potentially dangerous and arrived without warning and totally unseen judging by this video.

Yep Chesil Beach - but highly likely that will be closed as well as access to Portland so may have to look elsewhere. An event not to be missed though so will scour the map to check other venues. North Cornwall/Devon just out of my range though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

MKA is right. Stay away from the coast, the authorities have enough problems.

I didn't actually say stay away from the Coast......just be sensible and don't put yourselves or anyone else in danger Posted Image

The woman on your video was outside Moe's cafe and T-Bay Surf Club on Tramore beach Co Waterford, she had a lucky escape......

“The sea had gone quiet for over 30 minutes when suddenly a large wave came over the sea wall and caught the lady, nephew and her dog out,†the caption on the swellseakers Facebook page where it was first posted stated.“When you're out looking at storms be very careful as the ocean is a very powerful force and can surge at any time. Keep well back from the coastline. This could happen to anyone at any stage.

“With more storms on the way please stay safe and Always respect the Ocean. 

The woman and her well looked after dog are ok now. They simply got caught out by the power of the ocean and this can happen to anyone at any stage during a storm. Stay safe out there people!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

(I've been up all night after going out in Camden!) In the past half an hour or so, the wind and rain has really picked up in London... Lots of flooding issues will be occurring in and around London.

I've been up all night too.  Unfortunately not out having a good time!  The sound of water trickling onto window cills in bedroom woke me for the second time this week.  Spent the wee hours into dawn mopping up, placing bowls, more mopping...  The stonework above the bay windown in bedroom and drawing room is so saturated that water is leaking through the plaster.  With tonight's expected heavy rain I fear being awake clearing up bits of ceiling plaster as the whole lot gives way. About to try the roads to get to work; there was quite a lot of localised flooding on the way home yesterday, and that was before last night's little lot... 

Posted

I've been up all night too.  Unfortunately not out having a good time!  The sound of water trickling onto window cills in bedroom woke me for the second time this week.  Spent the wee hours into dawn mopping up, placing bowls, more mopping...  The stonework above the bay windown in bedroom and drawing room is so saturated that water is leaking through the plaster.  With tonight's expected heavy rain I fear being awake clearing up bits of ceiling plaster as the whole lot gives way. About to try the roads to get to work; there was quite a lot of localised flooding on the way home yesterday, and that was before last night's little lot... 

Not good.

We need a break from this now, but the weather isn't obliging. :(

Interesting analysis about next week from Tamara on the model thread, although it's nervy reading. :unsure:

• Like 3

Posted

The woman on your video was outside Moe's cafe and T-Bay Surf Club on Tramore beach Co Waterford, she had a lucky escape......

Southern and western Ireland has been the best place for spectacular seas recently and will be again in the next 24 - 36 hours. Phenomenal (the highest level, meaning 14M + waves) sea states expected again in sea areas Sole and Shannon.

'Luckily' the spring tide issue from last weekend and earlier this week won't be a factor this weekend. In fact the tides are in the neap phase from tomorrow until early next week.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2

Posted

Not good.

We need a break from this now, but the weather isn't obliging. Posted Image

Interesting analysis about next week from Tamara on the model thread, although it's nervy reading. Posted Image

Agreed, and Gibby sums things up with this.....

"In Summary I have to say that the current spell of this extremely volatile weather pattern which has been going since December 12th is unprecedented with absolutely no definitive sign of improvements shown within the next two weeks from this morning's output. There is total cross model support for a continuation of often wet and windy weather with copious rainfall and damaging gales in the next week. There may be some moderation in wind strengths through week 2 but rainfall looks set to continue on with further disruption which I fear could cause total devastation over the SW part of my County should this morning's charts verify. None of the above is surprising when on my little patch alone over 450mm of rain has fallen this Winter so far. We need some dry weather soon or parts of the SW of the UK are going to become a disaster area with major infrastructure consequences and life threatening lifestyle changes."

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Not good. We need a break from this now, but the weather isn't obliging. :( Interesting analysis about next week from Tamara on the model thread, although it's nervy reading. :unsure:

It certainly is, Steve. It's getting alarming now that's for sure. We in EA have been fairly lucky as regards floods and tidal surges etc; but those in the S & SW on the coasts and in flooding areas must be stressed beyond belief. Homes, businesses and familiar landmarks are being destroyed and the feeling must be one of utter helplessness because there is nothing anyone can do against such an irresistible force. Very frightening.
  • Like 6

Posted

The weather according to my Dogs.....

"Out of the cloudy sky it roared, 

soaked our fur and dirtied our paws,

heavy and wet it made little rivers,

and with the wind gave us both the shivers"

"we're so lucky our house isn't flooded,

we just got wet and a little bit muddied,

now we are dry and just been fed,

it's time to snooze on Mummy's bed"

.....well it is poets day Posted Image x

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Eventful journey from Braintree to Thaxted this morning, flooding on backroads upto 2ft deep so wasnt going to chance it...had to go the long way in!

Local small streams in Dunmow area are no longer a nice feature to look at... as they appear to be overtopping now (haven't seen that before)...will be eventful on the way home methinks!!

What do we reckon for the 'worse than 87' storm coming our way (I know...another De-press headline), even if the winds are 50mph+ with all the saturated ground we may be loosing a few trees this weekend? - Surley theres no grain of truth in the headline...is there??

Stay safe all :-)