Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 05/02/14 16z -------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

At least the majority of the latest deluge will come overnight rather than completely ruining another day.

• Like 1

Posted

That storm is looking very nasty anyone got the latest pressure reading? What time is it meant to hit the dorset area?

edit... also there are quite a few sources calling this the storm of the century yet again, is this getting over hyped again?

Edited by Rapodo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

That storm is looking very nasty anyone got the latest pressure reading? What time is it meant to hit the dorset area?edit... also there are quite a few sources calling this the storm of the century yet again, is this getting over hyped again?

Yes it is getting over hyped my friend.

This coming storm will likely have inland 50-60mph gusts, some sites show even less then this. Which would be the same as the one on Wednesday. Quite a big difference to the 87 storm which had winds of 80-90mph+.

• Like 1

Posted

The Met Office forecasts for my home location have downgraded the winds rather. Now gusts in the 40's rather than 61mph which was showing a couple days ago, so less strong than Tuesday evening's/Wednesdays storm but that was from SSE and was the strongest since December 2006. We are more sheltered from the SW/WSW there where tomorrows wind is coming from though.

At least it seems to be sunny reasonably often between the rain bands and showers, at least up here at uni.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The Met Office forecasts for my home location have downgraded the winds rather. Now gusts in the 40's rather than 61mph which was showing a couple days ago, so less strong than Tuesday evening's/Wednesdays storm but that was from SSE and was the strongest since December 2006. We are more sheltered from the SW/WSW there where tomorrows wind is coming from though.

At least it seems to be sunny reasonably often between the rain bands and showers, at least up here at uni.

They have been like that for a few days actually as I saw last night that most inland areas only have 40-55mph gusts.

Only the very far southwest of this region seems to have forecast wind gusts above 60mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Re: the couple of posts above, its worth noting the latest Beeb 24 forecasts are suggesting that less emphasis is being put on the rainfall, due presumably to it being rather shower/squally during tomorrow daytime. Not that this is truly of any assistance due to excessive flooding already in place and a tiny fraction more exacerbates the issues. More emphasis has been placed on the wind speeds and gusts according to the Beeb. There will no doubt be some active weather around tomorrow, gusts inland up to 60mph uprooting trees in places for sure and the coastal region can anticipate gusts up to 80mph for a time. All info courtesy of recent media coverage so make of it what you will.

Take Care out there.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The attached charts from the NMM 12z show the anticipated passage of squall like features during the daylight hours as per 1000hrs and 1300hrs respectively.

post-7183-0-17464400-1391801988_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-05571200-1391801996_thumb.pn

The final chart hints at a blustery evening tomorrow evening, if you're pubbing and clubbing as the deep low has made its way to Scotland by 2200hrs and the winds have strengthened once again South of the low centre. By this time the wind has backed around and should eventually lose its impetus into the early hours of Sunday.

post-7183-0-15066600-1391802004_thumb.pn

Hold on to your hats and keep your wellies and raincoat at hand.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

It is to be windy along the current main rain band as well, as I'm sure folk are aware. Then comes a very brief lull of sorts and gradually through tomorrow daytime the windy action picks up again as illustrated above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

It is to be windy along the current main rain band as well, as I'm sure folk are aware. Then comes a very brief lull of sorts and gradually through tomorrow daytime the windy action picks up again as illustrated above.

Can you shed some light on something please! why are people saying this storm on Sat/Sun is going to be one of the worst i.e 87, but on beeb news nothing more worse than the low coming in tonight.  Is it totally over hyped?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Can you shed some light on something please! why are people saying this storm on Sat/Sun is going to be one of the worst i.e 87, but on beeb news nothing more worse than the low coming in tonight.  Is it totally over hyped?

Have you been reading the express?! lol.In all seriousness, it's nowhere near the scale that 1987 was, but it will be a noticeably deep depression, made all the more worse with the current state of affairs around the SW.Just to clarify to, the low tonight is the same low that's going to be with us throughout the weekend.
  • Like 2

Posted

Straight answer to that is no, it will not be anything like the 87 storm.

This storm will have inland gusts of 45-60mph and 60-70mph on coasts or at the very most 80mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Straight answer to that is no, it will not be anything like the 87 storm.

This storm will have inland gusts of 45-60mph and 60-70mph on coasts or at the very most 80mph.

Thanks AWD & W - no not been reading express lol just been reading post on here.  Thank you both for your in put. Can relax a bit now.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yes Sonnia, as others have suggested, it is overhype and does in fact relate to certain media circles which may have picked up on the original reference to 1987. It will be a fairly strong storm in nature and will inevitably cause problems for those already affected by the incessant Atlantic driven train of zonal depressions. You need to learn to trust those in here who won't fall into the trap of believing the irresponsible journalism peddled by certain newspaper publications.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well here in Truro we have heavy rain and the gusts are getting stronger all the time!Here we go people and stay safe.

to you too argyle you ll be getting the worst of it..:( It's a southerly isn't it? After a very long and ardous week am absolutely shattered and will be off to bed soon. In this winter I am loving my northerly normally cold room and hopefully i wont hear the wind battering from the south.. Eyes barely staying open as I type so I am desperate for sleep tonight.....
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Oh ok.. First gust of wind arrived and a distinct whistling from the back of the house.. There's me thinking ill be asleep before it turned up.., damn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Winds really picking up now .....................and battering the house ............and rain sounding like nails being thrown against the window .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

to you too argyle you ll be getting the worst of it..:( It's a southerly isn't it? After a very long and ardous week am absolutely shattered and will be off to bed soon. In this winter I am loving my northerly normally cold room and hopefully i wont hear the wind battering from the south.. Eyes barely staying open as I type so I am desperate for sleep tonight.....

. Yeah been a hard week for me also having to work in it.It's one low every couple of days here and so much damage! ......cycling to work has been awful :-(I love my snow and cold days but right now all I want is some settled weather.Sleep well and take care .