Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 05/02/14 16z -------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It's been a very beautiful day so far in Exeter, with bright sunshine and showers, but a strong blustery wind as well. I had the misfortune to go for a run during which time there was a hail storm... Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

This is most interesting and fits in with one of my suspicions - that the problem is a mix of the sheer volume of water and the capacity of the final outfalls to discharge it. If those sluice gates have been left permanently lowered it is probable that the channel behind them has become heavily silted so even if the gates are  raised the flow might still be restricted.

I suspect insurers might be interested in that bit of video as it could lead to a mighty negligence claim!

Mods - could this post be copied to Somerset Flooding thread where it really ought to be seen. (I don't know how top do that)

You might have been correct as they are now saying these sluice gates are to be opened fully

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Had a cracking hail shower not long ago, the wind got up out of nowhere and the hail was circulating in curtains, it wouldn't surprise me if a funnel cloud was seen from a distance, it had a few characteristics of it. There was a significant temp drop too, several degrees in 10 minutes or so..

post-15177-0-49269600-1391960378_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Foolishly went off from a nice dry village over to Cerne Abbas for a walk, big mistake....five minutes of squally wet snow, followed by half an hour dry and then more wet snow.  I came home to find the sun had been out the whole time I was away....Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Sunshine and cloud here with 20-30mph gusts. Had a max of 43mph on the house yesterday and 66mph up on Castle Hill.

I don't think we have to worry about these storms showing on the models for next week as it would be very unusual for something like that to actually verify. I would imagine rain and more flooding will be the main concern as has been for much of this Winter.

There are some signs of a change to something more settled in a few weeks time and, although I am not bothered and like the windy weather, it always means you have to also have rain and for areas around here like Somerset it needs to ease down now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Had 2 hailstorms here in 2 hrs with a notable temp drop as well

Least it was a white covering albeit not snow lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't think we have to worry about these storms showing on the models for next week as it would be very unusual for something like that to actually verify. I would imagine rain and more flooding will be the main concern as has been for much of this Winter.

I disagree strongly with that, Wednesday's feature needs watching intently, severe gales are definitely a possibility, it's not that far out either..post-15177-0-18989800-1391963003_thumb.ppost-15177-0-61700500-1391963013_thumb.pFriday needs watching too, some of the situations being thrown out could have serious implications! A lot to keep an eye on this week, I'm sure the MO are keeping a close eye on what the models are churning out too. Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 9

Posted

Foolishly went off from a nice dry village over to Cerne Abbas for a walk, big mistake....five minutes of squally wet snow, followed by half an hour dry and then more wet snow.  I came home to find the sun had been out the whole time I was away....Posted Image

'Twernt snow, 'twas just the old man brush'n 'is 'air in the rain. LoL

Lovely here while the sun has been out.

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Hobbs corner taken an hour ago with Henley Bridge gleaming in the sunshine ...nice to see and feel the rays, but think we'll have a traffic flow problem in the morning!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151970992318753&set=a.10151117093033753.442456.670948752&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I don't think we have to worry about these storms showing on the models for next week as it would be very unusual for something like that to actually verify.

What has verified this winter has been very unusual, unusual this winter is. Therefore I wouldn't worry about how unusual something looks on the NWP, as with the way this winter is panning out, that means nothing right now.Agree with you re settling down beyond week 2. Long way to go but definitive signs of something much less wet on the distant horizon now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I still can't help but be slightly excited by Tuesday evening into Wednesday which still says heavy snow from 9pm until 6am on my met office app. Posted Image

I know.... Me too!! Its looking good for a night of snow down here as well....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Cracking walk. "Caught" in a heavy hail and wet snow shower. Wife was wandering why I was so chirpy. Then a couple of pints in front the fire at the pub, with the barman playing some pink Floyd on the stereo then a walk back in heavy sleet. Proper job.

Temp at 2.6 dew point around zero need some heavy ppn now!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Had a cracking hail shower not long ago, the wind got up out of nowhere and the hail was circulating in curtains, it wouldn't surprise me if a funnel cloud was seen from a distance, it had a few characteristics of it. There was a significant temp drop too, several degrees in 10 minutes or so..

Posted ImageIMG_20140209_153659.JPG

That would be the same shower i was caught in whilst in Ferndown at about 3:50pm then, temperature drop was extreme, went from 8.5C to 3.5C, granted it was the car thermometer, but 5 degrees is 5 degrees, looked like sleet was mixed in as well.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Just seen the latest BBC Points West forecast and there isn't any mention of a storm next week so far.

I saw a number of mean winds averaging from 13-17mph for most of the days, however flooding and rain was shown to be the main issue.

Posted

That would be the same shower i was caught in whilst in Ferndown at about 3:50pm then, temperature drop was extreme, went from 8.5C to 3.5C, granted it was the car thermometer, but 5 degrees is 5 degrees, looked like sleet was mixed in as well.

Passed through here with hail and about a 4C drop in temp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Countryfile looking poor for snow on the moors and hills this week. Would think the MO app would be changing soon enoughPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Just seen the latest BBC Points West forecast and there isn't any mention of a storm next week so far.

I saw a number of mean winds averaging from 13-17mph for most of the days, however flooding and rain was shown to be the main issue.

.....................................because of the continued storms?! ;)

Warnings already out for heavy rain and gusty winds from the met. By definition a storm doesn't necessary have to have hurricane force winds! Definitely more weather events this week that will unfortunately have a negative impact on some peoples lives :( ...............so need keeping an eye on.

Posted

Poor forecast for southern cold lovers. As things stand no SNOW this week apart from hills in the north. 60mm of rain from now until weekend, Roll on spring now.

Baggies baggies boing boing? ;)

Posted

.....................................because of the continued storms?! Posted Image

Warnings already out for heavy rain and gusty winds from the met. By definition a storm doesn't necessary have to have hurricane force winds! Definitely more weather events this week that will unfortunately have a negative impact on some peoples lives Posted Image ...............so need keeping an eye on.

No but thats not the point!

There are people on here who are getting worried to death over the models that are throwing out storms in the same calibur as the 1990 burns day storm. And I am saying and pointing out that the main forecasting orginisations are not showing anything like this for next week.

Check out the latest country file forecast, no mention of a burns day type storm, just very windy with a focuss more on the rain and flooding issues.

Posted

Lol Boing Boinging back to the Championship on current form. Dreading Chelsea match Tues night. 150 mile round trip in this weather.

..............am a Canaries supporter......I know your feelings! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Countryfile looking poor for snow on the moors and hills this week. Would think the MO app would be changing soon enoughPosted Image

Weather for week ahead didn't seem too bad with wintry stuff around uk on various shots although understandably vague at that range.

My app now says snow and sleet on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Have I trespassed onto the wrong forum here? Posted Image Just wondered. What a week of weather ahead of us, I wouldn't be surprised to see the following.

Posted Image

Have fun and equally try to stay safe. Posted Image See you in the morning. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1