Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 05/02/14 16z -------------->

A.J

Posted

A very disturbed night due to frequent gusting winds, not so much rain as I was expecting here but a real Bristol Channel rain maker for a large swathe of this region!

• Like 1

Posted

And here in Gloucester constant showers and another 7.6mm since midnight. 66mm this month. 230mm this year. Thats 9" in old money folks.

Looks like a dryish day ahead though but what will the rest of the month bring ???

John

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

My thoughts on the upcoming week and the run up to the final third of February, courtesy of the MAD thread.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79215-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-onwards/?p=2922101

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Git heavy snow in Princetown!

You've had your fair share of snow this winter now! ;):)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Git heavy snow in Princetown!

Radar looking good for you this morning! rain/sleet mix.....heavy on the rain down here, but now sunshine (whats that?) Walking up to Peak Hill / Leather Tor might catch a flake.

current temps 2.8 

dew point 0.7

If to get some snow I need the ppn to get a bit more intense.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

You've had your fair share of snow this winter now! ;):)

I cant disagree AWD! Shame it barely settles.... Next time it does, in going to do as the Russians do and stock pile it!

Radar looking good for you this morning! rain/sleet mix.....heavy on the rain down here, but now sunshine (whats that?) Walking up to Peak Hill / Leather Tor might catch a flake. current temps 2.8 dew point 0.7 If to get some snow I need the ppn to get a bit more intense.

Thanks mate, I reckon if you go up about 100 metres you would catch a flake mate....
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

It's amazing how local topography and wind direction can change situations in any one place. Yesterday was nowhere near as bad in my locality than was expected. Yes it was very windy and gusty but my Max gust was 47mph in the evening. With regard to rainfall as I predicted here yesterday morning we faired very well with just passing scuds of rain from decaying showers as they whizzed through. Yet 12 hours later and a wind shift to the West has led to a thoroughly wet night here with incessant showers and a cold raw West wind has given me 12mm since midnight and probably more to come through the day. I also witnessed some sleety bits hitting the windows a while back. If only we were 1000ft higher asl.

Just one look at the cloud movements around the UK and the North Atlantic indicate what turmoil the atmosphere is in with swirling fronts and depressions all over the place some in cold air.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 3

Posted

wind gusts got me out of bed, very loud and also hard rain

sluice gates not in action

This is most interesting and fits in with one of my suspicions - that the problem is a mix of the sheer volume of water and the capacity of the final outfalls to discharge it. If those sluice gates have been left permanently lowered it is probable that the channel behind them has become heavily silted so even if the gates are  raised the flow might still be restricted.

I suspect insurers might be interested in that bit of video as it could lead to a mighty negligence claim!

Mods - could this post be copied to Somerset Flooding thread where it really ought to be seen. (I don't know how top do that)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Posted

This may be of interest to some in this area. I posted it in the climate area where it belongs but I know many don't visit there. This is not an attempt to introduce climate change as a subject but merely of general interest. Maybe the sea level rise at Newlyn

The Southwest Observatory.

http://www.swenvo.org.uk/state-of-the-environment-2010/one-planet-living/climate-change/#.Uvdlg86cSpC

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Good morning all, hope your all have a fine Sunday and enjoying the calmness, sunshine ,less windy and chilly day (well im cold anyway) even though it is reading 7.8c

Stats

Temp 7.8c

Dew point 3.5c

Windchill 4.3c

987.1mb (rising 3.1mb/hr)

Humidity 87%

Max gust last hour 34.0mph (questionable)

Rainfall today 0.4mm

Rainfall monthly 57.6mm

Cloud base 536m

Soil moisture 19.0cb

Leaf wetness 0.0

I am at some point today maybe going out with camera to get some pictures of around the island, however i did not sleep very well due to having Asthma, so if i feel up to it then i shall get some more pictures, but in the meantime coffee is good, so is the bacon bap

Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Really rough night last night, heard a loud bang around 10pm, wondered what the hell it was, after going outside and looking around, found one of my bat boxes on the floor. thankfully it just missed the car, and also there were no bats in at the time.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392076800&regionName=uk

i  know you guys are having a  bad  time down there the  latest warning  for the  week is  not  good and  they  haven't even got to Fridays  storm yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

Its snowing here this morning although very wet and only in heavy bursts. Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image

Its snowing here this morning although very wet and only in heavy bursts. Posted Image

Nice one!
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice one!

I still can't help but be slightly excited by Tuesday evening into Wednesday which still says heavy snow from 9pm until 6am on my met office app. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Another wintry shower of sleet/hail and wet snow mixed in.

Nothing to write home about but also at the same time it's about as good as it gets this winter thus far.

Temperature and dew point has been lowering slowly this afternoon too which is encouraging if we can see some big showers this evening.

3.3c dewpoint of -1

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 2