Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 05/02/14 16z -------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Some pretty heavy showers heading over the island some of which have hail in it.

Max gust last hour  74.2mph

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

The picture below shows how bad the flooding is on the islands roads and land and this is on one very small section of the island shown in the picture

Posted Image

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Look forward to those pics, Mapantz.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I swear around a hour ago there was some lightning in Bristol during a heavy shower. Can't be certain though.

Anyone else in Bristol see anything?

• Like 1

Posted

Also, I had a job down in Eastleigh today meaning a journey from Westbury, across the Salisbury plain.

Some of the flooding I saw was shocking. Nothing on the scale of what the Somerset levels are seeing, but still noteworthy and largely unknown away from the area.

Around Wishford, on the Salisbury plain, houses and gardens were underwater. Football goals submerged and roads flooded.

Romsey has a petrol a station underwater, and I witnessed people in waterproofs removing belongings from flooded properties into white vans. Kids were on makeshift rafts playing in floodwater like you do in the sea.

The river Avon around Freshford is seriously overflowing. A torrent of water flooding fields and farmland.

Sorry, no pics due to the loco we had being unsuitable but take my word for it, some eye opening scenes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This was the high gust I had while I was there, for a good minute or so, it didn't drop below 50mph, I had to breathe under my armpit as it was virtually impossible to do so standing head on.

post-15177-0-52638200-1391883557_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

What is going on on the levels at the moment beggars belief.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/FLAGSomerset/?fref=ts

I've put in a request to join.... I'm miles away but can share and retweet for them if need be. Howling wind and heavy rain here...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I swear around a hour ago there was some lightning in Bristol during a heavy shower. Can't be certain though.Anyone else in Bristol see anything?

quite possible as at 5pm ish we had an intense down pour which only lasteed a minute here on west mendip ,wind just gusty here but looking like some v hvy showers towards midnight which could turn thundery ,hardly got any rain here last night as the polo hole effect kept appearing on the radar .looks like some potential next week for some good downpours with thunder and some wintryness thrown in ,this winter looks like costing billions possibly in repair work ,lets hope something more settled turns up ,cheers all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Tomorrow i am going out with the camera and taking a compilation of pictures of around the WHOLE of the island, however i shall not put myself in any danger and will be staying away from sea fronts, cliffs etc. I have quite a zoom on my camera so i will not need to get close.

GLTW the islands face has changed considerably since this onslaught of LP's and im sure it will change further, but us islanders all pull together and help each other out, come summer time this island will show of its beautiful natural land once again and all this bad weather will be forgotten about..

Love the island no matter how much it has changed or how different it will look

Freshwater bay tomorrow at high tide 06;30ish till about 09:00, should be as good as the last storm regarding sea state. That's the way it looks on magicseaweed ATM

Posted

Pretty spectacular at Portland lighthouse today though couldn't stay too long outside due to excessive head freeze from constant spray and cold gale force winds!

Decent waves at chesil as well but not causing any flooding problems unlike last Tuesday so the locals said anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, any extreme.

I swear around a hour ago there was some lightning in Bristol during a heavy shower. Can't be certain though.Anyone else in Bristol see anything?

I think you may be right AWD as I'm in Frampton Cotterell and our lights flickered off for a second or two, didn't hear any thunder though.
  • Like 1

Posted

Around Wishford, on the Salisbury plain, houses and gardens were underwater. Football goals submerged and roads flooded. 

My wife works in Wishford, until last winter the River Wylye had not flooded over its immediate floodplain field for many years and now it has happened 2 years in a row and is worse this time around!

Posted

This is the current situation at Fordgate, on the Somerset levels;

http://www.britishrailways.tv/train-videos/2014-02/main-line-swamped-during-high-tide-at-bridgwater-8th-february-2014/

Bear in mind this is inland and no where near the sea, there is so much floodwater now there is a mini tide!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I agree with the reports in here from AWD and others about how unprecedented the current floods are.  I heard Richard Benyon mention that the last year we saw a Winter like this one was in 1760 something, now that is amazing. I haven't confirmed this for accuracy and the official weather records don't invariably go back that far, but it does put things in context. The light at the end of the tunnel will arrive, we just need to be awfully patient for now.

Why do lights flicker with no storms around?

Power surges I believe. Also worth noting that high winds cause electricity cables to arc, i.e. they bash into each other in those large overhead cables.

Posted

I think you may be right AWD as I'm in Frampton Cotterell and our lights flickered off for a second or two, didn't hear any thunder though.

I always miss seeing the lightning! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Is it me or has it suddenly got a lot windier here in Bristol?

Yes its getting windier here on mendip last 20 mins or so also another batch of hvy showers brewing up in bristol channel but hard to tell exact direction they will take ,time will tell .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

This is the current situation at Fordgate, on the Somerset levels;http://www.britishrailways.tv/train-videos/2014-02/main-line-swamped-during-high-tide-at-bridgwater-8th-february-2014/Bear in mind this is inland and no where near the sea, there is so much floodwater now there is a mini tide!!

Gawd. But the levels do have rivers which are linked to the sea. So with the floods this can be exacerbated during high tides and the pressure from the storm. What they have is fluvial as well as Pluvial as well as ground water flooding. ...... There is also the alignment of the sun earth and moon at I think in January which also created slightly higher tides. This somehow feels like nature is claiming back her sea...:( bloody awful whatever .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Getting windy again here, not been to bad here to be honest, had 4.1mm of rain, wind is nothing like it was on Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Evening everyone, getting very gusty here too now. The windows pop everytime a big one come in.. We are moving this year to a new build, I can't wait, it sometimes feels like we live in a barn here. Feel so sorry for those on the levels. Looks like no end in sight. Am I right in thinking there is another low coming in on Tuesday?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Reading, watching all the reports of the unprecedented flooding across the Uk, there is I now believe only one culprit to blame. The sodding relentless unforgiving weather we are being battered with. I honestly don't think now any government, or one measure could protect or foresee those that have been hardest hit. And ultimately as sea levels rise as they will do by 1 metre it is all of us humans individually who have contributed through our nimby ism of not doing more. Of continuing to drive and use the cars, of reaping and exhausting the land etc etc. I never really quite took on the climate change story but am starting to believe it. Above all I am so very cross with myself. We all need to learn from this surely and think more sustainably collaboratively. There will be no one panacea solution for the future and we need to be more inventive and inclusive. ..... And as I type my feelings get stronger on this... Just like the flipping wind outside which I now am fed up of and makes me feel I wish I could do more to help those who are suffering..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Some crazy looking clouds passed over earlier

post-16760-0-83533000-1391896246_thumb.jpost-16760-0-44531900-1391896266_thumb.j

• Like 2