Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 05/02/14 16z -------------->

A.J

Posted

Yes, feeling for you, as well as others around the country having sleepless nights associated with storm damage and flooding. Many are clearly now in desperate straits.

I am in somerset, just minutes from the levels but higher up, surrounded by hills and safe. My heart is breaking for the people affected, ordinary people like me. Anyone with empathy is feeling for them and we are so frustrated that money is going abroad rather than helping our own. It is lovely and sunny just now so we are getting jobs done and errands fetched, while we can, before run off from fields blocks every lane out of my village again but we know here that it is just for a short while, not months as on the levels. I hope to god that we all get some respite soon but it just does not look like it is going to happen

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Had a trip to and from Bristol Airport last night. On way there was bad enough but on way back was horrendous.

Yes the rain was bad, but even worse was the UNEXPECTED FOG!! Yes fog in pooring rain i never seen that before and this fog was so thick i couldn`t see 2 car lengths ahead(no exaggeration there either) . This was horrendous and had to slow to 10/20mph at times in a 60limit. No point full beams just made it much worse like a white wall. Not seen anything like that before and the countless floods i had to drive through on the way back, rivers on roads!!  

Time was 11.30 . Bristol wasn`t as bad by far but as soon as i reached Chew Valley onwards to Farrington Guerney then Radstock back to Frome was chaos!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Had a trip to and from Bristol Airport last night. On way there was bad enough but on way back was horrendous.

Yes the rain was bad, but even worse was the UNEXPECTED FOG!! Yes fog in pooring rain i never seen that before and this fog was so thick i couldn`t see 2 car lengths ahead(no exaggeration there either) . This was horrendous and had to slow to 10/20mph at times in a 60limit. No point full beams just made it much worse like a white wall. Not seen anything like that before and the countless floods i had to drive through on the way back, rivers on roads!!  

Time was 11.30 . Bristol wasn`t as bad by far but as soon as i reached Chew Valley onwards to Farrington Guerney then Radstock back to Frome was chaos!!!

Fog and rain come hand in hand when you live on mendip  Posted Image

Still looks like a chance of wintriness over the coming few days I just hope this endless rain stops before I develop gills. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Personally can't see much snow for South-west England on Tuesday. Just more of what we just don't need.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=120&carte=2000

As the wise man Gandalf once said "There was never much hope, just a fools hope" Posted Image  Frodo made it to mount doom too so I shall remain positive.  Posted Image

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday

Strong winds and showers continue on Sunday, occasionally heavy with hail and perhaps locally wintry. These then ease on Monday, with brighter spells developing. Becoming wet and windy again Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Across this storm-hardened nation, i was out this morning.

It actually felt quite 'spring' like in the sunshine

Then i thought of the movie 'The Perfect Storm'

For George Clooney & Friends, the Sun made a brief appearance.... before it closed in on them again

'she's not going to let us out'

• Like 1

Posted

Can someone answer this question for me please:

Was to Chris Fawkes on twitter: (I don`t have twitter so can`t asnwer).

"Can someone answer this as i don`t understand?

Question from @julesm2211: If the stream stays in its current state, what effect will it have on the spring/summer weather?

Chris answers: When the sun starts heating the northern hemisphere the Jetstream is bound to change position.

Why is it bound to change position?  Wasn`t it the same with the jet in 2010 that stayed flat over us to then, so why is summer heating bound to change its position if it didn`t in 2010?

Thanks"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

7.3c in the sunshine. . Where's  the sun cream.........

Posted

Can anyone post a link to a chart showing the huge block to the west of canada that the bbc website was mentioing? Just be interested to see it.

Thanks

Posted

Can someone answer this question for me please:

Was to Chris Fawkes on twitter: (I don`t have twitter so can`t asnwer).

"Can someone answer this as i don`t understand?

Question from @julesm2211: If the stream stays in its current state, what effect will it have on the spring/summer weather?

Chris answers: When the sun starts heating the northern hemisphere the Jetstream is bound to change position.

Why is it bound to change position?  Wasn`t it the same with the jet in 2010 that stayed flat over us to then, so why is summer heating bound to change its position if it didn`t in 2010?

Thanks"

When the sun starts to heat the northern hemisphere the polar vortex should weaken as it always does in late winter/early spring and then the Jetstream should start to move around more generally. As the cold lessens into spring even if the pattern stays the same the depressions should have less power as they are fuelled by strong temperature contrasts.

Think that's the general gist of it.

Posted

Wow a mostly sunny day with scattered Cumulus! Still started off wet though and the rain kept falling right until the frontal cloud cleared which is quite rare.

Road closed at Midford south of Bath apparently due to a mudslide - will not reopen for several weeks

That happened last Thursday (30th Jan).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Moorland (on the levels) still has rising waters around it, and local flood defences have been breached. The residents have been strongky advised to evacuate (once again)... You can't help but wonder what's actually going to happen down there with more and more rainfall coming in from low after low... I really do feel for them down there, it must be horrible!

And to think some in the mod thread still think this current weather pattern we're in is fascinating, that's not a word I would use anymore, I think devastating would be a more accurate description. Edited by Smartie
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Afternoon People,

Oh my lord!  Just watching BBC news and the floods are absolutely unbelievable.  Showed pictures of water bubbling up through the tarmac and even though some houses are up off of the road level under their  floors have now filled up with water and its coming out under the carpets.  Showed a map of all the places affected and it is much further wide spread than the SW.  TOTALLY GOB SMACKED.  SPEACHLESS Posted Image my heart goes out to the people.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The railway network in the SW is basically crippled.

This is the reason why I've been working 12+ hour days, 6 days a week lately;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26084245

• Like 1

Posted

And here's what's coming later today and tomorrow;

post-12721-0-16566700-1391780963_thumb.j

Not looking forward to my trips across the Salisbury plain to Eastleigh tomorrow. :(

Posted

Wow a mostly sunny day with scattered Cumulus! Still started off wet though and the rain kept falling right until the frontal cloud cleared which is quite rare.That happened last Thursday (30th Jan).

News takes time to reach us up here !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

The railway network in the SW is basically crippled.This is the reason why I've been working 12+ hour days, 6 days a week lately;http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26084245

Yeah I saw the fgw website mentioning flooding around Bridgwater now too so no services running between Taunton and Bristol, road transport being provided, the situation just gets worse and worse with no end in sight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

What a gorgeous day, I've forgotten that the weather can actually be anything other than thoroughly unpleasant!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Here she comes guys  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.96,40.70,1115

Posted Image

this is not far from my house

Islands trains are now suspended due to landslide  (again)

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 3

Posted

And here's what's coming later today and tomorrow;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Not looking forward to my trips across the Salisbury plain to Eastleigh tomorrow. Posted Image

You've obviously been to Eastleigh before AWD. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Here she comes guys  Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.96,40.70,1115

Posted Image

this is not far from my house

Islands trains are now suspended due to landslide  (again)

how often does that update doesn't tell you the time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

how often does that update doesn't tell you the time?

Every three hours as far as im aware

• Like 2

Posted

After a beautiful morning it is now torrential rain in swanage hopefully only a shower!

Yep, just one of a cluster of showers along the Jurrasic coastline.Main rainband is still out west around about Ireland area.