Gay marriage bill passed in Scotland

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Act of the Scottish Parliament also paves the way for opening Civil Partnerships to straight couples, though sadly no timescale is given. It should happen and it should happen asap imo.

• Like 1

You have to remember something fundamental. We are Human.

Racism will always exist, persicution will always exist, "gay bashing" will always exist. We ain't a perfect race.

Time to move on, shut up about it, and get on with your lives.

Why should people put up with it though? Yeah there are always going to be awful people out there, but that doesn't mean we should just let it slide. We are a supposedly intelligent race and should try to right at least some of the wrongs in the world if we are able to do so. You mean to say if you were persecuted against or attacked you would just say "oh well that's life, not going to do anything about it, just carry on" and let the same things happen time and again?

• Like 4

You have to remember something fundamental. We are Human.

Racism will always exist, persicution will always exist, "gay bashing" will always exist. We ain't a perfect race.

Time to move on, shut up about it, and get on with your lives.

Nazis will always exist. That doesn't mean we should have stood by and let Hitler take over Europe.

This argument has been addressed. We may never completely eradicate the bad things in the world but we can minimise their influence. Gay-bashing wouldn't be a problem if it was just one or two people on the internet, but it's much more serious than that.

• Like 7

in terms of equal rights...gays do get away with saying and doing things that straight people esp straight men would never be allowed get away with..i dont know if its because they are gay or they do it in a camp non threatening way..but i do notice they are very free with some very hurtful and sexist put downs.

in terms of equal rights...gays do get away with saying and doing things that straight people esp straight men would never be allowed get away with..i dont know if its because they are gay or they do it in a camp non threatening way..but i do notice they are very free with some very hurtful and sexist put downs.

That's one hell of a generalisation to be making. Will you be following that up with a moan that all english people talk like cockneys or all french people smell of garlic?! In amongst a sea of quite ridiculous posts by some in this thread, this just about tops it off. 

• Like 2

Nazis will always exist. That doesn't mean we should have stood by and let Hitler take over Europe.

Eh ? Nobody did stand by and let Hitler take over the whole of Europe, thats why we are not speaking German now.

Hitler wasn't as bad as Stalin, but he never gets a mention either ! But thats for another argument.

• Like 1

Is anyone else utterly fed up of gay this, gay that saturating the media - barely a day goes by without some mention of it. Gay marriage, russian anti-gay laws, gay rights protests at the Winter Olympics, anti-homophobia messages in football, appeals for gay footballers and sportsmen to come out, Tom Daley, Clare Balding etc etc etc. What on Earth is the obsession with such a tiny minority of the population and their bedroom practices?

I suspect other, greater agendas are at work. The cultural Marxists, leftists and progressive liberals have jumped on it as a means to attack traditional, conservative Christian European society and culture which they despise and have such contempt for.

The 'traditional, conservative, Christian European society' is long gone - such views probably place you in the minority nowadays. Unfortunate for you, but that's the reality. You can either get used to it, or locate to a more conservative place where gay people are legally oppressed - such as the Middle East or sub-Saharan Africa. Good luck! Posted Image

If they believe that then they are obviously not comfortable with being Gay. I don't understand why Gay's have to go on about it so much.

Where is my straight parade ? Straight pride ? Straight weekend ? "Get over it i'm straight" T-Shirt ? ..... They are no where, because its my life & I am insterested in me, not anybody else's business, or wondering what everyone else is thinking... The sooner they realise to stop blabbing about it all the better, and just get on with who you are.

My cousin is Gay, and she's married - I don't hear from her much, they both get on with their lives without having to shout from the rooftops that they are gay, just a normal couple.

P.S - Many people commit suicide, not just because they are Gay.

Ah, Glenn, I remember having this discussion with you previously on a status comment - straight prides don't exist because straight people compromise the majority of the population. Generally speaking, majorities do not face discrimination or prejudice - generally. It is the same reason why White History Month doesn't exist - because white people make up the majority, and were usually the ones discriminating against minorities. Even today, where people are generally very tolerant and open-minded, you  won't see many gay couples showing affection in public, because they fear what will happen to them.

It's easy to say that gay people should 'get over it', but you're part of the 'lucky' segment of society that is the majority in all aspects. However, if you want to start a straight parade, or wear a T-shirt proclaiming "I'm straight, get over it", go ahead. I won't care - nobody else will care. Do whatever you want.

Just get over it and laugh it off.

It's easy to laugh it off if, for example, you are part of a group of friends who enjoy mocking one another, as male friends typically do, and it be in jest, and light-hearted. No problems there whatsoever. It's a problem, though, if someone is genuinely spouting vitriol. If I was with a group of friends, and they were joking with me, making fun of me, I wouldn't care, because I know that it's just banter between friends, and I would return the favour! If someone came up to me, however, and said that I am an abomination or that I am going to hell, I would be offended and wouldn't react too kindly.

There is a line, often fine and hard to gauge, between banter, and genuine nastiness and hatred.

Edited by cheese

That's one hell of a generalisation to be making. Will you be following that up with a moan that all english people talk like cockneys or all french people smell of garlic?! In amongst a sea of quite ridiculous posts by some in this thread, this just about tops it off. 

Not really in this politically correct world there are many gay men who are allowed to make comments about how other people look or behave whether in a social setting or work place that would be classed as derogatory or sexist that i would never be allowed to get away with saying.

• Like 2

Eh ? Nobody did stand by and let Hitler take over the whole of Europe, thats why we are not speaking German now.

Hitler wasn't as bad as Stalin, but he never gets a mention either ! But thats for another argument.

Isn't that the point. We shouldn't standby and let a homophobic minority ( a quite large minority ) dictate the rights of others such as gay people, otherwise we'll be back to the fifties and at the same time we might as well pop back and address women's suffrage as well. As as species we are supposed to evolve not go backwards. The Athenians of the 5th century BC were more enlightened than we are, and yes I know they had slavery, but we seem to be introducing it again.

And surely this is not going to degenerate into who was the worst psychopath, Hitler or Stalin?

Edited by knocker

Not really in this politically correct world there are many gay men who are allowed to make comments about how other people look or behave whether in a social setting or work place that would be classed as derogatory or sexist that i would never be allowed to get away with saying.

You're kind of missing the point - there are many people - gay/straight/male/female/black/white who say things that they shouldn't. Just because someone who is apparently gay has annoyed you for that reason, it doesn't mean every gay person is the same.

For instance, I could make a judgement about you based on your posts, does that mean that I should consider that every bloke who has lived in Calgary or supported west ham is the same?

The Athenians of the 5th century BC were more enlightened than we are, and yes I know they had slavery, but we seem to be introducing it again.

And surely this is not going to degenerate into who was the worst psychopath, Hitler or Stalin?

Eh ? Unless I have missed something recently, I don't see any form of slavery in the UK ? What do you mean?

Just on a side note, Hitler or Stalin were also not psychopaths.

• Like 3

Posted this in the past on the Scottish Politics thread, but why not again here.

Now two grown men kissing doesn’t wet my whistle* – well to be honest the same applies for watching any couple snog as it’s not, after all, a spectator sport - but if you look beyond that I fail to see anything other than this presenting something very nice.

Love between people; something the world could do with more of. Life can be very hard sometimes and the world a cruel place.

Everyone deserves the same right to fall in love and have that bond recognised equally by society.

(*The lassie singing does though – Amy MacDonald, flower of Scotland that she is).

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Eh ? Unless I have missed something recently, I don't see any form of slavery in the UK ? What do you mean?

Just on a side note, Hitler or Stalin were also not psychopaths.

Women 'held as slaves for 30 years'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25040741

Psychopathy is usually analyzed as an individual psychological phenomenon. As we’ve seen, the term describes individuals without conscience, with shallow emotions, who are able to impersonate fully developed human beings and mimic feelings of love, caring and other-regarding impulses to fulfill their deviant goals: be that stealing your money,  stealing your heart or both. This phenomenon becomes all the more toxic, and dangerous, when such individuals rise to national power and manage to create totalitarian regimes ruled by mind-control, deception, lack of individual and collective rights and freedoms, and  arbitrary displays of power.

Psychopathic, or at least seriously disordered rulers, such as Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Ceausescu show what happens when (their) pathology spreads to a whole country.

But neither of the above were the main point of my post anyway.

Women 'held as slaves for 30 years'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25040741

But neither of the above were the main point of my post anyway.

Ahh I see, your valid point regarding slavery being re-introduced into the UK was 3 women in London by some strange people ?

• Like 1

To be honest I don't think "homophobia" truly exists. How can it be that bad when only 1.5% of the UK population is gay that we know of? The odds of meeting someone who is gay or encountering "homophobia" are quite low going by that statistic alone. So the programs on "homophobia" should be thrown in the bin as a waste of money.

Also all this gay sex education to little kiddies is sick and thoroughly unpleasant. Most would probably have nightmares at the thought of two grown men at it.

• Like 2

Ahh I see, your valid point regarding slavery being re-introduced into the UK was 3 women in London by some strange people ?

No my valid point was;

Isn't that the point. We shouldn't standby and let a homophobic minority ( a quite large minority ) dictate the rights of others such as gay people, otherwise we'll be back to the fifties and at the same time we might as well pop back and address women's suffrage as well. As as species we are supposed to evolve not go backwards. The Athenians of the 5th century BC were more enlightened than we are,

that you conveniently chose to ignore.

To be honest I don't think "homophobia" truly exists. How can it be that bad when only 1.5% of the UK population is gay that we know of? The odds of meeting someone who is gay or encountering "homophobia" are quite low going by that statistic alone. So the programs on "homophobia" should be thrown in the bin as a waste of money.

Also all this gay sex education to little kiddies is sick and thoroughly unpleasant. Most would probably have nightmares at the thought of two grown men at it.

Make that you know of. The rest of us aren't privy to your sources and in any case the figure is irrelevant. The tone of the rest of your post I think says it all. Any particular reason for saying, "the thought of two grown men at it" and not two people of the same sex.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

As knocker says, there are plenty of closeted homosexuals who won't come out of the closest because they might bump into someone such as yourself.

The size of the gay population isn't relevant anyway. If people actively dislike gay people, then they are homophobes, and they are targeting people based on their own pathological dislikes. Doesn't matter if homosexuals represent 1% or 50% of the population - people shouldn't feel discriminated against over something as silly as sexual orientation.

As for 'gay' sex  education - most little kids would be mortified to learn what grownups do in the bedroom regardless of who is doing it.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

As knocker says, there are plenty of closeted homosexuals who won't come out of the closest because they might bump into someone such as yourself.

Errrrrrrrrr How do you or any of us know they are gay if they are "closeted?" Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Errrrrrrrrr How do you or any of us know they are gay if they are "closeted?" Posted Image

Read the rest of my post before jumping in to respond immediately - you don't want to make an even bigger fool of yourself!

No my valid point was;

that you conveniently chose to ignore.

I didnt ignore it, it wasn't a valid point. It's just an exaggerated post.

Most would probably have nightmares at the thought of two grown men at it.

Posted Image

Edited by Glenn W
  • Like 1

You just did LOL!

Try responding to my post in an appropriate manner please, instead of avoiding it because you know what I'm saying is completely true.

Here it is again, in case you (conveniently) overlooked it:

The size of the gay population isn't relevant anyway. If people actively dislike gay people, then they are homophobes, and they are targeting people based on their own pathological dislikes. Doesn't matter if homosexuals represent 1% or 50% of the population - people shouldn't feel discriminated against over something as silly as sexual orientation.

As for 'gay' sex  education - most little kids would be mortified to learn what grownups do in the bedroom regardless of who is doing it.

Edited by cheese

Try responding to my post in an appropriate manner please, instead of avoiding it because you know what I'm saying is completely true.

Into mind reading now are we? you're just not good at it Posted Image

• Like 1