Gay marriage bill passed in Scotland

I know we've got the Scottish politics thread, but this is a reasonably big thing that might warrant its own thread. Plus, the other thread about same-sex marriage got closed, but that was back in June and maybe it's time to try again?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25960225

A vote of 105 in favour and 18 against. Pretty decisive!

• Like 4
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Posted Image Shame on those 18 who voted against it though.

They're entitled to their opinion, free speech, democracy and all that.

There is more serious issues than gay marriage.

About time energy bills were forced down for the vulnerable like the elderly than issues like this. Scotland's run down housing estates and peoples health up there (worst in UK) need a revamp too. This won't help matters.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 4

They're entitled to their opinion, free speech, democracy and all that.There is more serious issues than gay marriage.About time energy bills were forced down for the vulnerable like the elderly than issues like this. Scotland's run down housing estates and peoples health up there (worst in UK) need a revamp too. This won't help matters.

it will if you're gay and want to get married.
  • Like 3

it will if you're gay and want to get married.

True but how would it help elderly people and people who want lower bills? people who want better housing and health? surely some of the most pressing needs right now in our country.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 3

True but how would it help elderly people and people who want lower bills? people who want better housing and health? surely some of the most pressing needs right now in our country.

Why not tackle all issues that need addressing?

And yes, those 18 are entitled to their opinions. But it's a shame their opinions are archaic and don't really make a great deal of sense.

Why not tackle all issues that need addressing?

And yes, those 18 are entitled to their opinions. But it's a shame their opinions are archaic and don't really make a great deal of sense.

Some issues are far more important than gay issues and need to be sorted out FIRST before pc issues. Also those not in favour perhaps thought there are more important needs in Scotland, and rightly so like I have pointed out. gays are not going to die from not getting married but people do from not being able to heat their poorly insulated homes and not getting seen to properly at the docs/hospitals.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 2

In what way would passing a vote either way on gay marriage - a process that can't have taken up that much time - impinge on the greater priorities? I agree that poverty, the state of the NHS, etc. need sorting out VERY SOON, but can't see how this vote affects them. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately these big social issues need money and plenty of it. The gay marriage issue simply needed a sensible change in attitude, which is much cheaper.
  • Like 1

Some issues are far more important than gay issues and need to be sorted out FIRST before pc issues. Also those not in favour perhaps thought there are more important needs in Scotland, and rightly so like I have pointed out. gays are not going to die from not getting married but people do from not being able to heat their poorly insulated homes and not getting seen to properly at the docs/hospitals.

That explanation as to why they would vote no makes no sense at all! It's a simple yes-no vote that took very little time or effort. It wasn't a vote whether to have a vote or not. I don't think you understand how the political system works, it can cope with more than one issue to deal with in one go.

What about a new law protecting Christians from being persecuted for following God's word?

What's that got to do with the topic?

Suffice to say there's, well, a few more things going on politically in Scotland than the same sex marriage bill.

In fact it's way down the list in terms of parliamentary time devoted to it.

I'm happy it's been fitted in though; needed to be addressed.

Edited by scottish skier

That explanation as to why they would vote no makes no sense at all! It's a simple yes-no vote that took very little time or effort. It wasn't a vote whether to have a vote or not. I don't think you understand how the political system works, it can cope with more than one issue to deal with in one go.

What's that got to do with the topic?

I don't think you know what common sense is and where priorities lie.

• Like 2

What about a new law protecting Christians from being persecuted for following God's word?

I wouldn't say that's needed in Scotland as laws already exist for such things. Scotland's parliament is also of course secular, unlike the UK one.

The same sex marriage bill vote was a free one of course (well actually all votes in the Scottish parliament are technically free as there's no whip system, but you catch my drift). 

Good few SNP government MSPs voted against as they so wished. List of for and against:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26041921

Edited by scottish skier

I don't think you know what common sense is and where priorities lie.

But how was this simple vote getting in the way of the more important issues? There will probably always be more important issues than gay marriage, so does that mean it can never happen? Going by this logic, some issues would NEVER get addressed.

Edited by Nick L

But how was this simple vote getting in the way of the more important issues? There will probably always be more important issues than gay marriage, so does that mean it can never happen? Going by this logic, some issues would NEVER get addressed.

Well when more important issues like I raised in my original post have tried to be addressed to politicians they seem to have every excuse not to do anything or say "we will get a vote on such and such but in 2018". But with pc issues they seem to have inexhaustible resources to push things through. 

Edited by Gaz1985

Well when more important issues like I raised in my original post have tried to be addressed to politicians they seem to have every excuse not to do anything or say "we will get a vote on such and such but in 2018". But with pc issues they seem to have inexhaustible resources to push things through. 

Got some figures or evidence for that?

Got some figures or evidence for that?

We don't need any, all you hear is racist this or homophobic that or islamaphobic this, it's making people into little knee knocking softies. I don't like carrots so does that make me carrotophobic? Posted Image

Edited by Gaz1985

Consultation on same sex marriage in preparation for a bill as appropriate was in SNP and Labour manifestos (Lib dem too I imagine I never had a look). They could not commit to an actual bill as it could possibly be blocked by Westminster. In the end, it was not blocked.

So, manifesto commitment implemented. Consultation showed majority support and so it went on to committee then bill.

Really rather a formality to ensure equality. But I imagine, very nice all the same for a section of the population previously 'second class' citizens technically as they didn't have the same basic rights as others. Corrected laws which essentially were a bit like saying 'blacks can't get married' or something.

Edited by scottish skier

Consultation on same sex marriage in preparation for a bill as appropriate was in SNP and Labour manifestos (Lib dem too I imagine I never had a look). They could not commit to an actual bill as it could possibly be blocked by Westminster. In the end, it was not blocked.

So, manifesto commitment implemented. Consultation showed majority support and so it went on to committee then bill.

Really rather a formality to ensure equality. But I imagine, very nice all the same for a section of the population previously 'second class' citizens technically as they didn't have the same basic rights as others. Bit like saying 'blacks can't get married' or something.

A recent survey found that only 1.5% of the UK is gay (of course this only counts people who have said they are but the true figure can't be massively higher) and 93.5% said straight. What does that tell you? gay issues are not an issue that needs to be taken seriously tbh. I live in Manchester but I don't know any gay people at all yet I have quite a few friends and big extended family. 

Edited by Gaz1985

A recent survey found that only 1.5% of the UK is gay (of course this only counts people who have said they are but the true figure can't be massively higher) and 93.5% said straight. What does that tell you? gay issues are not an issue that needs to be taken seriously tbh. I live in Manchester but I don't know any gay people at all yet I have quite a few friends and big extended family. 

You must have missed the gay pride parade in Manchester last year. I still feel homophobia is an issue in Britain.

Homophobia still rife in UK, survey claims

Many expect to face discrimination and feel that social attitudes lag behind parliament

Edited by knocker