Sign in to follow this  
Keraunic

What Fish?

A couple of days ago, my neice bought two Molly fish and a small tank with pump. Two days later and both the fish have gone to the great fish tank in the sky. :(

She followed instructions to the letter but, apparently Mollies are quite difficult to keep. I really think the pet shop assistant should have realised that and recommended another breed of fish for a novice. However, that's beside the point.

Are there any tropical fish enthusiasts here who can recommend some hardy, fairly easy to keep fish that won't die within hours/days. :) Or, should she just buy a couple of Goldfish and be happy with that.

Posted Image

Sorry, I don't know much about them although my father had tropical fish tank, forgotten much about the fish though. It was a big fancy one with hermit crabs, corals and even some sea slugs I think. It was fascinating to look at, could watch it for hours, so much going on.

• Like 1

Was the tank set up with water, heater and filter running for a week before adding fish? This allows friendly bacteria to build up in the filter to break down the waste. This should have been mentioned by the assistant. I used to work in an aquatics shop about 10 years ago although my memory of it all is a bit rusty, maybe someone currently running a tank will chime in.

• Like 1

I've had Guppies, Angel fish, Catfish, Tin foil barbs, Neon tetras, a Siamese fighting fish (don't get two!) and a few others who's names I can't remember. All were peaceful and lasted a fairly long time, especially the Tin foils (about 7 years).

I remember getting two small black and white striped fish (Tiger barbs?) that were lunatics and attacked everything in the tank that moved. They were quickly evicted...

• Like 1

Was the tank set up with water, heater and filter running for a week before adding fish? This allows friendly bacteria to build up in the filter to break down the waste. This should have been mentioned by the assistant. I used to work in an aquatics shop about 10 years ago although my memory of it all is a bit rusty, maybe someone currently running a tank will chime in.

No, it wasn't. The assistant just told my niece to float the bag containing the fish in the water for half an hour before letting them free. I don't think the assistant was very knowledgable about fish IMO. I shall certainly point this out to her though. Cheers MS. :)

No, it wasn't. The assistant just told my niece to float the bag containing the fish in the water for half an hour before letting them free. I don't think the assistant was very knowledgable about fish IMO. I shall certainly point this out to her though. Cheers MS. Posted Image

Yes we always did this to slowly equalise the temperature. Dropping them straight into the tank from the bag could cause a temperature shock and harm or kill the fish.

• Like 1

Did you get any water treatment chemicals?

Exactly.
  • Like 1

Many a time i have seen these shop assistance

sell a new tank and the water treatments, and trying to keep my mouth shut when the assistant then sells 50pounds of fish to the proud owner, then person then gives up a new hobby because in a few days the fish are all dead.

• Like 1