Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your ideal climate/location?

Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

my ideal climate would be where we get nice sunny summerrs with t-storms now and then and temps no mor than 30c and cold snowy winters with temps reaching just above freezing during the day. U.k climate doesn't come no ware near the type of climate i would like and it never will with a warm bath next to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Makes me wonder why half our members live in this country,the other half must be house hunting in flash!  A bit surprised how some of you coldies missed upper teesdale or nenthead!

Well, I like the UK, in spite of its climate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

My ideal climate would be Reykjavik in Iceland.  There it is cold all year round with heatwaves virtually absent and only occasional spells of Fohn winds, displaced Azores Highs and Blowtorch Mild Zonality.  Even the summer cold spells would feel pleasant in the near around the clock summer sun and the near around the clock winter darkness ensues frost and snow fail to melt for weeks and even months.

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Most UK climates are terrible. The only ones that are just about acceptable are in the south East and along the south coast from Dorset to Hampshire. At least in these places there is something that actually resembles summer with occasional 30C highs and average July max temperatures of 21-24C.

Even then, it is still far too cloudy. My ideal climate would probably be somewhere in the Mediterranean, possibly Valencia which has nice winters and warm summers.

Posted

My ideal climate would be Reykjavik in Iceland.  There it is cold all year round with heatwaves virtually absent and only occasional spells of Fohn winds, displaced Azores Highs and Blowtorch Mild Zonality.  Even the summer cold spells would feel pleasant in the near around the clock summer sun and the near around the clock winter darkness ensues frost and snow fail to melt for weeks and even months.

Oh I certainly wouldn't want a climate like Reykjavik which is a cloudier colder version of Shetland. Those who suffer from SAD would go crazy.

Temps rarely get above 20 degrees even in a warm spell, it is notoriously windy and winter can be thoroughly miserable. No thank you...

• Like 1

Posted

Most UK climates are terrible. The only ones that are just about acceptable are in the south East and along the south coast from Dorset to Hampshire. At least in these places there is something that actually resembles summer with occasional 30C highs and average July max temperatures of 21-24C.

Even then, it is still far too cloudy. My ideal climate would probably be somewhere in the Mediterranean, possibly Valencia which has nice winters and warm summers.

Average max temps above 21C extend a little north of York - roughly. Considering you live in the UK's very own verifiable Mecca, I thought 21C would be too cold for you.

Posted

Average max temps above 21C extend a little north of York - roughly. Considering you live in the UK's very own verifiable Mecca, I thought 21C would be too cold for you.

True, but it's more common on the eastern side of the Pennines than on this side; even Manchester only scrapes 20C as an average high in July and August, let alone further north.

Posted

Snow doesn't stay in Reykjavik for months: winter temps average almost exactly 0C. It seems to get a lot of snow that is soon washed away, and probably gets countless days of sleet, or cold rain at 2C.

Qaanaaq in Greenland- now there's somewhere it doesn't melt for months, no sunlight from Nov to Feb, yet it still gets more annual sunshine than here!!!!!https://en.wikipedia/org/wiki/Qaanaaq

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

California. 

Almost always over 20c all year round and often reaches 35c for a long period in Summer. Very dry also.

The good thing with California is, if I ever got bored of the sunshine and warmth (which I doubt) then you go to the mountains and ski or bask in the snow and cold.

In my mind it's the perfect climate.  

Posted

I like Mountains and beaches, summer temps up to aroung 25c, not above 30c frequently

Winter cool with snow on mountains. Probably somehwere like British Columbia not too far from coast. Or Seattle area, but not in the city.

That or the Maritime Alps of France / Italy. Not far too coast or too Skiing in the mountains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Iceland is deffo not that cold - for its latitude it is very mild in winter but cool in summer. There's even less temperature variation from season to season than in the UK although the change in daylight is much more extreme.

For me I like a somewhat more continental feel to things than we get in the UK. I do enjoy the proper cold in winter (although not for months on end) and of course a reliably warm summer is much better than the lottery we get in the UK.

I've just completed my first winter in Berlin and it was exactly how I like it - we had a couple of weeks of very cold conditions dipping to -13c with snow all around for the whole cold period. It then warmed up rapidly and we've just had dry, sunny & mild weather ever since. Not quite sure if my ideal climate exists but I'd want a long very warm summer (25-30c most days) then a brief but very cold winter broken up with mild sunny bits. Certainly not months of 2c under lead skies (which is more normal for this location.. but not this year gladly).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Iceland is deffo not that cold - for its latitude it is very mild in winter but cool in summer. There's even less temperature variation from season to season than in the UK although the change in daylight is much more extreme.

For me I like a somewhat more continental feel to things than we get in the UK. I do enjoy the proper cold in winter (although not for months on end) and of course a reliably warm summer is much better than the lottery we get in the UK.

I've just completed my first winter in Berlin and it was exactly how I like it - we had a couple of weeks of very cold conditions dipping to -13c with snow all around for the whole cold period. It then warmed up rapidly and we've just had dry, sunny & mild weather ever since. Not quite sure if my ideal climate exists but I'd want a long very warm summer (25-30c most days) then a brief but very cold winter broken up with mild sunny bits. Certainly not months of 2c under lead skies (which is more normal for this location.. but not this year gladly).

And while we painfully miss out on a close MCS monster. The day after, we will be watching you under the influence of an Estofex level 3 !! 

Germany has an excellent climate IMO.

Posted

California. 

Almost always over 20c all year round and often reaches 35c for a long period in Summer. Very dry also.

The good thing with California is, if I ever got bored of the sunshine and warmth (which I doubt) then you go to the mountains and ski or bask in the snow and cold.

In my mind it's the perfect climate.  

California is a big place - you need to be more specific. San Francisco doesn't even scrape 20C in July for an average maximum.

• Like 1

Posted

California is a big place - you need to be more specific. San Francisco doesn't even scrape 20C in July for an average maximum.

It's an odd climate, September is the warmest month and October is warmer than July. Massive seasonal lag, although December is still the second coldest month.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco
  • Like 1

Posted

It's an odd climate, September is the warmest month and October is warmer than July. Massive seasonal lag, although December is still the second coldest month.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

I think it's more to do with the fog during summer. I'm guessing they get most of their fog during June, July and August when the sun is strongest. It's a weird climate that's for sure

• Like 2

Posted

True, but then hot spells are less likely and the number of 30C days is lower than here. London's climate is very far from perfect for me, but I like the fact that 99% of July days are above 20C. Places in Cornwall, Newcastle etc get days upon days of 15-17C days when we are trapped with atlantic fronts steamrolling over the UK, in the same situation it is at least normally above 20C with sunny interludes down here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Bordeaux has my ideal sort of climate. Mild in winter and consistently very warm in summer with frequent hot spells.

• Like 2

Posted

I would take anywhere in the Pacific North West of the USA. Basically the same mild climate as here but with guaranteed summers in July/August. 

I'm unusual in that I like wet mild winters and was quite happy with the one we just had here as long as there is a decent summer every year to look forward. The trouble with the UK is that our interludes of high pressure from a warm direction are so totally random. We have them every year but they are just as likely to turn up in January as July (or March as it was in 2012 and now seemingly this year). Meanwhile the Atlantic train bringing in a succession of lows is also just as likely in July as January and all months in between with the result that many Summers go down the pan (e.g. 2012).

Interesting to see many NW members opting for rather extreme climates where Winter is glacial and Summer is blistering. I suspect this might be because the majority are weather junkies and just want to experience the extremes. Extremes we by and large miss in this country. Whether or not people would actually see a more extreme climate as desirable if they lived in one all their lives is a moot point. Such is human nature perhaps always seeing a greener grass next door.