Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your ideal climate/location?

Gaz1985

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Apologies if this is a subject that has been posted before.

My ideal place to live would be the Atacama desert in Chile - the world's driest hot desert. Where it rains maybe 2 days in the year that's it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arica#Climate

Minus the threat from hurricanes and thunderstorms my 2nd/3rd ideal place to live and climate would be somewhere like Miami or Key West in Florida where it's very warm/hot year round with strong sunshine.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Top of Ben Nevis.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Midwest - take away the threat of your life being lost by a tornado, awesome snowfalls, awesome storms, endless MCS's, hot in summer, cold in winter. You will not be bored of the weather there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Flash, Staffordshire 425m asl

New York (although a bit hot in summer) not a fan of very hot weather, 20-26 range ideal for me, and surely most on here and off here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Midwest - take away the threat of your life being lost by a tornado, awesome snowfalls, awesome storms, endless MCS's, hot in summer, cold in winter. You will not be bored of the weather there!

Sounds much the same as Alberta..cold snowy winters sunny dry warm summers with plenty of storms from May to August.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

My ideal climate would be Turku, Finland or Tallinn, Estonia. Moderately cold winters and pleasantly warm summers. Winters are rather gloomy, but summers are much sunnier than the UK, with more thunderstorms and a summer precipitation peak, with very little rain in the winter.

Nowhere in the UK is even close to my ideal climate. Nowhere has cold enough winters, except Ben Nevis and Cairn Gorm, and they're obviously uninhabitable. Generally too dull as well. Places like Braemar are far too cool and cloudy in the summer.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

Flash, Staffordshire 425m asl

New York (although a bit hot in summer) not a fan of very hot weather, 20-26 range ideal for me, and surely most on here and off here

Flash is actually 462m asl or  1518ft,

Unless you want to live at  Flash Bar stores which is 425m asl Posted Image 

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Sion, Switzerland - Warm summers average max 27.0c in July, 2100 hours sun a year

Cold frosty winters January average low -3.8c

rainfall is steady throughout the year totaling 600mm and i imagine it is one of the calmest places possible

Posted

I've always thought I'd want to live somewhere cold and sunny in winter, but I was in Kaunas, Lithuania the other week for a few days and the whole time it was between -10 and -15, which in the grand scheme of things is not too dramatic. My feet and legs were always cold, regardless of what I wrapped them in. So I've sacked that off. Then I thought Nice/South of France, or Northern Italy, but they have had nearly as much rain as us this winter, and southern Europe in general is pretty wet in winter. So now I'm considering Southern California, around the border with Nevada, where its perpetually sunny and you can drive to Lake Tahoe for a bit of snow if it takes your fancy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

getting old, so warm, anywhere that is warm and dry now (creaks to the bed rather than the bed creaking)

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Apologies if this is a subject that has been posted before. My ideal place to live would be the Atacama desert in Chile - the world's driest hot desert. Where it rains maybe 2 days in the year that's it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arica#Climate Minus the threat from hurricanes and thunderstorms my 2nd/3rd ideal place to live and climate would be somewhere like Miami or Key West in Florida where it's very warm/hot year round with strong sunshine.

Well most of the time but they can get frost very occasionally damaging the orange crop - like a lot of other places when the wind is in the,right direction.As for me I would settle for Southern France - normally ok from April through to October :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Realistically Flash the best in UK (habitable), a really difficult question though this for me, Siberia would be my choice in winter but they have higher temps than us in summer so on balance probably Northern Greenland would be ideal for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Well most of the time but they can get frost very occasionally damaging the orange crop - like a lot of other places when the wind is in the,right direction.

As for me I would settle for Southern France - normally ok from April through to October Posted Image

No, damaging frosts do not occur that far south in Florida. It only occurs from Orlando northwards. In fact Key West has never recorded an air frost.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian%C3%A7on#Climat

~800-1800m in the Alps is pretty much ideal. 2,500 hours of sun per year, average humidity in the daytime of less than 40%. The far south of the French Alps has the vast majority of its precipitation falling in the winter, mostly as snow. Nights reliably cool - into single figures. Never above 35c.

• Like 1

Posted

No, damaging frosts do not occur that far south in Florida. It only occurs from Orlando northwards. In fact Key West has never recorded an air frost.

Miami has though. Damaging frosts can occur in southern Florida during very potent cold snaps. Plus, Key West has the distinction of being the only city in the Lower 48 states to have never recorded an air frost, or even a ground frost by the looks of it.

Realistically Flash the best in UK (habitable), a really difficult question though this for me, Siberia would be my choice in winter but they have higher temps than us in summer so on balance probably Northern Greenland would be ideal for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert,_Nunavut#Climate

Edited by cheese

Posted
Posted · Hidden by cheese, February 3, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by cheese, February 3, 2014 - No reason given

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert,_Nunavut#Climate

Posted

Miami has though. Damaging frosts can occur in southern Florida during very potent cold snaps. Plus, Key West has the distinction of being the only city in the Lower 48 states to have never recorded an air frost, or even a ground frost by the looks of it.

Hence why I missed it out, but since the 1800's the coldest temp in Miami has only been -2c on Feb 3rd 1917 and even then it was just for 30 mins I believe then quickly rose above 0c - not really damaging. So a damaging frost in south Florida does not occur from the Everglades south. Orlando's lowest ever temp was -8c and this is mid Florida not south, the Orlando area is where most of Florida's Orange's are grown.

Also to note is Orlando is in a county called "Orange county"

From what I have read Miami has only seen a handful of temps around 0c since 1800's, so if you lived in Miami all your life the chances of seeing a frost are very slim or maybe only once.

Edited by Gaz1985

Posted

We had this a couple of months ago, then most people went for inland west North America. To that I'll add this absolute beauty of a climate, the best of any capital city I've found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerevan

I like the cold, snowy but short winters- January is freezing but March is around 10C warmer so no cold dragging into spring. Lovely hot, dry sunny summers with low humidity, and pleasantly warm springs and autumns with no month averaging more than 50mm. An absolute gem.

• Like 2

Posted

Mammoth Lakes, California:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammoth_Lakes,_California

Gotta love those diurnal ranges.

Just a few miles down the road - Bodie, California has a very interesting climate:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California

-11C in July...in California? Go on then!

This would be a very nice, less severe climate to live in:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifrane

Edited by March Blizzard