Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sinkholes: A deadly threat from Florida's 'underworld'

Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Sinkholes: A deadly threat from Florida's 'underworld'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25983415

Interesting article and also a program on BBC tonight as well

Horizon: Swallowed By A Sinkhole is on BBC2 at 9pm on Monday 3 February

Posted Image

Posted

Yes sinkholes have been around for quite a few years. There was one very recently in High Wycombe that I suspect was connected to old clay workings in the area and the recent high rainfall. Normally caused by erosion of limestone I think leaving a void. Some can be huge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/car-swallowed-by-30ft-sinkhole-in-high-wycombe-9102783.html

Oops, posting at the same time.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Did I did just hear on the Radio 4,s news ,just caught the last few moments of it, about a women whos  car was swallowed by a sinkhole in this country?Posted Image

Posted

Did I did just hear on the Radio 4,s news ,just caught the last few moments of it, about a women whos  car was swallowed by a sinkhole in this country?Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-26014076

I think the chance of it swallowing her while in it is remote, not many people sit in the car outside their house for more than a couple of minutes!

She was just on The One Show too (BBC1)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Cheshire has a huge area of salt, it is a good example of one of the ways sinkholes can occur. Lots of small lakes called "meres" well known in the county and its immediate neighbors, happen to show where the sink holes were when they started (eeek!). The natural cycle often, but not always ends in a large water filled area unless humans intervene. LOL

Nature caused some meres all by herself, humans caused most, through brine pumping for table salt and industrial salts, since before the Romans came...... Most of this is found geographically, at a large area known as the Cheshire plain.

But.

It is possible for such sink holes to be precursors to slips near the sea and in steep sided valleys, this is different and more similar to mining and cave/void collapse.

Anyway I would always recommend a thorough professional survey before putting your pocket near property anywhere, ever.. And if it is uninsurable for such things as sink holes don't ...

Posted

Cheshire has a huge area of salt, it is a good example of one of the ways sinkholes can occur. Lots of small lakes called "meres" well known in the county and its immediate neighbors, happen to show where the sink holes were when they started (eeek!). The natural cycle often, but not always ends in a large water filled area unless humans intervene. LOL

Nature caused some meres all by herself, humans caused most, through brine pumping for table salt and industrial salts, since before the Romans came...... Most of this is found geographically, at a large area known as the Cheshire plain.

But.

It is possible for such sink holes to be precursors to slips near the sea and in steep sided valleys, this is different and more similar to mining and cave/void collapse.

Anyway I would always recommend a thorough professional survey before putting your pocket near property anywhere, ever.. And if it is uninsurable for such things as sink holes don't ...

Down here a mining survey is compulsory. Mind very often they aren't worth the paper they are written on as old workings wouldn't necessarily show up. In many areas they wouldn't show up potential dangers of sinkholes anyway if dependent on erosion of limestone over many years.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Down here a mining survey is compulsory. Mind very often they aren't worth the paper they are written on as old workings wouldn't necessarily show up. In many areas they wouldn't show up potential dangers of sinkholes anyway if dependent on erosion of limestone over many years.

Yes Knoc, My brother who works a local mine had a lucky escape over Christmas when 60ft of shaft collapsed, if they had been working there would off been many deaths, but work continues.

Posted

Yes Knoc, My brother who works a local mine had a lucky escape over Christmas when 60ft of shaft collapsed, if they had been working there would off been many deaths, but work continues.

Surely not one of the old lead mines PM?

Posted

Glebe Mine at Eyam Knoc, They are on the hunt for Spar, this mine has been shut and re-opened many times in the past and riddled with old Lead workings which as you say go unnoticed until a collapse happens.

Which ls also one of the reasons the River Lathkill is drying up... Apart from the Acidic water eating the Limestone away on the porous river bed, but that's another story..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Interesting video. I think they had a discussion about this on a very fine mining web site I've been a member of for a few years. It's chock-a-block with experts so I keep quiet. In particular there are a few who know a huge amount about the Derbyshire mines. I thought Glebe had been built over so I've got that wrong. I think this link should be okay.

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/mines/Glebe-Lead-Mine-5/

Edited by knocker

Posted

Part of the old mine has been opened back up in the last year, there is a handful of workers down there which goes well under Eyam, and until they hit the Spar there will be very little information available, Yes i can remember the link you posted and there were a few on there i knew, after working on the Estate looking after the Lathkill for some time i was well aware of this problem,and something that has been discussed many times over the years, but it seems the local Potholing guys see things in a different light..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I trust you aren't referring to mine explorers as potholing guys. Might raise the blood pressure a tad. Posted Image Seriously if you are interested in underground photography the site I linked to above contains many truly stunning photos.

Posted

I trust you aren't referring to mine explorers as potholing guys. Might raise the blood pressure a tad. Posted Image Seriously if you are interested in underground photography the site I linked to above contains many truly stunning photos.

They use the Magpie shaft to access natural caverns, if this was flooded to help the Lathkill's top catchment it would make things a little difficult for them, hence the delicacy of the subject..

Posted

They use the Magpie shaft to access natural caverns, if this was flooded to help the Lathkill's top catchment it would make things a little difficult for them, hence the delicacy of the subject..

Ah yes. I remember now as soon as you mentioned Magpie shaft. Delicate indeed.

• Like 1

But.

Some of the meres are salt related but most are depressions and kettle holes left after the last glaciation. Pools from man-made subsidence are more commonly known as flashes in this region.

Anyway, look at this latest sinkhole - US sinkhole swallows Corvettes at car museum

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26159110

Edited by Interitus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Saw a report on BBC breakfast saying how rare that UK sink holes are and that the current deluge is responsible for us seeing so many this year. Odd they don't recall the 'others' that must have appeared over all the other comparable wet periods the deniers would have us believe the UK has suffered????