Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sum your January up.

Eskimo

Posted

Rain, rain and more bloody rain.

Out of interest, I have recorded 93.8mm here this month compared to an average of 59mm.

And another 'remarkable' thing is we have just 3 DRY days.

Edited by Rob Heselwood

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Crap

The only consolation was a few thunderstorms.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Dire, absolutely dire for cold, less so for thunder!! Hey ho, things can only look up, spring is coming. I'd happily take a more 90's phase and have some MCS's bully their way up like the old days :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

crap weather.

I started a new job, good

mrs got home today, said she lost hers. double crap

Posted

I have to say rather than the pattern being zonal all month "west to east movement of low pressures" it has been basically a low pressure block slow moving close to the west or SW of the UK with a fair amount of high pressure to the east of the UK, but with no trough disruption to undercut the block to the east and therefore the UK has been left in a stalemate situation all month, hence the exceptional rainfall experienced.  It has been a very similar January to that of 1948, which was similarly very wet but produced little snow for most of the UK.  A similar pattern happened in the second half of December of last winter (Dec 2012), but thankfully the pattern changed in the early part of January.

I have to say that it has been an absolutely vile month for the whole country south of the Scottish border at least.  There haven't been that many really mild days (10*C and above), so the month hasn't felt as mild as the likes of Jan 2007 and 2008.  What the striking feature of this month has been is the very static nature of the temperature with little deviation from the 7-8*C highs and 2-3*C lows all month.  Very wet winter months like this are usually caused by these stalemate situations of slow moving low pressure blocks to the west and south-west of the UK and HP blocks to the east not able to influence the UK.  Zonal setups are rarely very wet, they are often wetter in the NW of the UK but average to drier in the south.

I have to say now that this month is over I am glad to see the back of it.  It has been very much the opposite "uneventful" extreme of winter 1991-92.  That winter high pressure sat over the UK all winter; at no point was there ever a northerly or easterly setup, and it was a snowless winter for most of the UK.  This month instead of HP sat over the UK it has been a slow moving low pressure block sat over or just to the west of the UK never able to disrupt or orientate favourably for a colder flow, hence it has been snowless for much of the country.

This sort of zonality / Atlantic driven weather is the only type that is any good:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840116.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840117.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840123.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840124.gif

Scotland have done OK with this sort of zonality this month, but will we ever see this sort of polar maritime zonality across the UK EVER AGAIN?  It is just that so often the UK just seems to be a little too far south for this sort of zonality, but why can't the orientation be favourable for it?

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, any extreme.

Rain, rain and more bloody rain. Out of interest, I have recorded 93.8mm here this month compared to an average of 59mm. And another 'remarkable' thing is we have just 3 DRY days.

Hi rob I've just had my 51st straight day of recorded rainfall. Jan came in so far at 177mm with a few hours to go. Quite remarkable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I have to say rather than the pattern being zonal all month "west to east movement of low pressures" it has been basically a low pressure block slow moving close to the west or SW of the UK with a fair amount of high pressure to the east of the UK, but with no trough disruption to undercut the block to the east and therefore the UK has been left in a stalemate situation all month, hence the exceptional rainfall experienced.  It has been a very similar January to that of 1948, which was similarly very wet but produced little snow for most of the UK.  A similar pattern happened in the second half of December of last winter (Dec 2012), but thankfully the pattern changed in the early part of January.

I have to say that it has been an absolutely vile month for the whole country south of the Scottish border at least.  There haven't been that many really mild days (10*C and above), so the month hasn't felt as mild as the likes of Jan 2007 and 2008.  What the striking feature of this month has been is the very static nature of the temperature with little deviation from the 7-8*C highs and 2-3*C lows all month.  Very wet winter months like this are usually caused by these stalemate situations of slow moving low pressure blocks to the west and south-west of the UK and HP blocks to the east not able to influence the UK.  Zonal setups are rarely very wet, they are often wetter in the NW of the UK but average to drier in the south.

I have to say now that this month is over I am glad to see the back of it.  It has been very much the opposite "uneventful" extreme of winter 1991-92.  That winter high pressure sat over the UK all winter; at no point was there ever a northerly or easterly setup, and it was a snowless winter for most of the UK.  This month instead of HP sat over the UK it has been a slow moving low pressure block sat over or just to the west of the UK never able to disrupt or orientate favourably for a colder flow, hence it has been snowless for much of the country.

This sort of zonality / Atlantic driven weather is the only type that is any good:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840116.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840117.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840123.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1984/Rrea00119840124.gif

Scotland have done OK with this sort of zonality this month, but will we ever see this sort of polar maritime zonality across the UK EVER AGAIN?  It is just that so often the UK just seems to be a little too far south for this sort of zonality, but why can't the orientation be favourable for it?

ummm 10 words or less not 10 paragraphs or less?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Cor, you are obsessed with January 1984!!!!!!!!!!

my January been average, westerly dominated, bit of everything really, even snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Cor, you are obsessed with January 1984!!!!!!!!!!

my January been average, westerly dominated, bit of everything really, even snow!

I mean to say that although zonality often means mild for the UK, I am highlighting how it is possible to get widespread snow and much colder weather from a zonal setup without any blocking close to the UK to the north or north-east, all the zonal flow needs to do, is orientate favourably in a NW-SE track, bringing cold polar maritime air across the UK sourced near Iceland or south Greenland.  The chart examples I have used are the best examples I can find in the archives of a zonal setup bringing widespread snowfall to the UK.  There are a few other good examples of cold zonality in the archives, but nothing on the scale of the charts I have posted.

This winter, although it probably won't be as mild as the likes of 1988-89, it still looks to be as equally devoid of anything remotely wintry as that winter was. 

A number of the milder winters in the 1990s and 2000s brought a few short spells of cold synoptics that did bring some colder weather at times and some snowfall to parts of the UK, notably winter 1993-94, which was actually snowier than some winters that were colder overall than that one.  Winter 2004-05 brought an easterly spell in the second half of February, and even some short cold snaps earlier on than that.  Winter 03-04 also brought a few short spells of colder weather and some snowfall for some.  There was also a bit of cold weather in late Dec 2001.  Even the notoriously mild 2006-07 winter wasn't without a couple of sniffs of cold, there was actually a short cold snap in the fourth week of January and the best part of a week's cold snap in early February.

All this goes to show, that even in winters that are milder than average overall, if you look back in records, you would struggle to find very many that didn't see a short cold snap or a taste of winter at some point, and even many milder winters have brought a few short lived snow events - this winter has just been absolutely devoid of anything remotely cold.  A milder than average winter overall basically means that it will not contain an extended spell of cold weather, but it certainly doesen't rule out some cold snaps and winter making an appearance.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I mean to say that although zonality often means mild for the UK, I am highlighting how it is possible to get widespread snow and much colder weather from a zonal setup without any blocking close to the UK to the north or north-east, all the zonal flow needs to do, is orientate favourably in a NW-SE track, bringing cold polar maritime air across the UK sourced near Iceland or south Greenland.  The chart examples I have used are the best examples I can find in the archives of a zonal setup bringing widespread snowfall to the UK.  There are a few other good examples of cold zonality in the archives, but nothing on the scale of the charts I have posted.

Yeah, more effective for northern areas, never too good for low levels south, well not here anyway, but looking at archives for Jan '84, must rate as one of snowiest ever months for high levels oop norf, but not much south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

It spits

Then rainsThen poursThen stops

Then Repeat

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

One snow shower, nothing settled. A few frosts.

By far the worst January since at least 1998, probably further. 

If this were the middle ages this January would have been executed for blasphemy.

Posted

Yeah, more effective for northern areas, never too good for low levels south, well not here anyway, but looking at archives for Jan '84, must rate as one of snowiest ever months for high levels oop norf, but not much south

It was one of the snowiest Januarys on record for most of the country north of Yorkshire.  Further south there was some snowfalls at times, though largely short lived events for anywhere south of the Midlands.  To me the worst aspect of the British Weather is that zonality just doesen't deliver like it did back then, and zonality can deliver as the charts I have posted show.

Posted

One snow shower, nothing settled. A few frosts.

By far the worst January since at least 1998, probably further. 

If this were the middle ages this January would have been executed for blasphemy.

I believe that January 2008 was on a par for most of the country for a lack of cold weather than this one has been.  Jan 2007 is nearly there but at least it brought some colder weather around the 21st to 24th.  Jan 2005 was poor also, but at least something a bit colder appeared on roughly similar dates to 2007.  Jan 2002 was poor too but it at least started off cold in the opening days.

Posted

I believe that January 2008 was on a par for most of the country for a lack of cold weather than this one has been.  Jan 2007 is nearly there but at least it brought some colder weather around the 21st to 24th.  Jan 2005 was poor also, but at least something a bit colder appeared on roughly similar dates to 2007.  Jan 2002 was poor too but it at least started off cold in the opening days.

Since at least January 1998 (i can't recall further back) there has never been a snowless January in Leeds. Infact to emphasise my point i'll point out that before December 2013 only the December's of 2006 and 2002 were snowless winter months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Since at least January 1998 (i can't recall further back) there has never been a snowless January in Leeds. Infact to emphasise my point i'll point out that before December 2013 only the December's of 2006 and 2002 were snowless winter months.

There was definitely settling snow in Leeds in January 2008. There are photos to prove it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

post-18296-0-57636900-1391205624_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hail, sleet, snow, gales, sun, mild, Interesting!

Posted

Volatile is a good word, its hardly been a quiet month. Wet, windy and grey probably best sums of the state of conditions for much of the month with barely a 24 hour window of dry weather.

Temperature wise- mild, but firmly not in the very mild category, we have seen only a handful of days above 9 degrees, many have maxed out just slightly above the average 6 degrees.

2005 is probably the last comparable month to this one - which was mild and wet and windy throughout with little snow and frost or dry weather. 2008, 2007, 1995, 1993 and 1990 are also quite good fits. All these years were unfortunately followed by rather wet mild February's.. but a number of them saw wintry shots in March and April.....(not so 2007 which was a mild fest through until June).