Sign in to follow this  
knocker

The joy of living in an old mining area

Just popped out to Tescos and noticed that a house couple of hundred yards from me is now half a house.

Apparently the other half collapsed on Wednesday due to subsistence over a mine shaft. Not surprising as the whole area is riddled with shafts and adits and it's not that long ago a huge hole appeared in the road that passes this particular house. The house next door is empty as it has shafts in the back and front gardens.

Not that many years ago a couple in Redruth went out shopping and on return the house was no longer there. Well it was but relocated underground.

In an old mining area here too (coal and iron mines). Some of the underground mineshafts have collapsed here as well, one collapsed beneath a minor road causing a ~30m diamater hole exposing the underground tunnels and shafts. The mountains are littered with small craters from collapses, the council are trying to stop people going there in case they get sucked down to their doom. No houses in the affected areas though just heathlands, moors and woods now.

Unfortunately much of the intense mining area around Camborne and Redruth has since been built on. Not all but a great deal. The last survey the BGS carried out 30 years ago identified 2000 shafts in a very small area. A tip of the iceberg. This is what looked like 100 years ago over the whole area.

post-12275-0-08768700-1391172721_thumb.j

In an old mining area here too (coal and iron mines). Some of the underground mineshafts have collapsed here as well, one collapsed beneath a minor road causing a ~30m diamater hole exposing the underground tunnels and shafts. The mountains are littered with small craters from collapses, the council are trying to stop people going there in case they get sucked down to their doom. No houses in the affected areas though just heathlands, moors and woods now.

But you have had other disasters. I remember well that awful day at Aberfan in 1966.

• Like 1

Plenty of mining sites  Around here. Tesco Nr Paulton has old pit site either side of road. Did have   tunnel underneath...

Lots of houses in the immediate vicinity had to be demolished because of subsidence a coupla decades ago - but then I am in the heart of what was the South Yorks coalfield. Why, this very drum only narrowly escaped the same fate, but has undergone major remedial work. Seems alright now...

But you have had other disasters. I remember well that awful day at Aberfan in 1966.

Just a few miles from me that was. My granddad went down to Aberfan with a shovel in order to help dig people out. My mother describes hearing sirens throughout the day and men rushing down with shovels to help as the news spread. My mother was scheduled to go to that school inititally but ended up at another. I might not be here if that change hadn't happened!

Very tragic, especially as those responsible escaped with a just a few quid fine as punishment.

Edited by Bobby

Wow a sight for sore eyes knocker...wonder if all the rainfall of late was the final straw?

I know heavy rainfall was responsible for the Aberfan disaster, streams coming off the mountain that had been buried by the mining tip swelled up under the rainfall causing the tip to slip and fall down the mountain into the town.

Wow a sight for sore eyes knocker...wonder if all the rainfall of late was the final straw?

Well it wouldn't help. We are 173% against the average.

Rainfall like this Winters long rainfall  period event will have its effects felt on mines and landslip areas countrywide. The extra weight on the land is substantial.

Earth tremors of course will rise in numbers as a result. In my opinion.

There also appears to be an extension onto the original building? Foundations obviously altered as a direct result, quite possibly adding to a risk of subsidence.

You have to remember the building next door is empty as it's a bit dodgy with two uncapped shafts. Why they haven't been capped I've no idea,

Edited by knocker