Sign in to follow this  
knocker

The longest commute?

I really can't imagine doing this.

Gary Egan of Porthcawl has Britain's longest commute - the equivalent of four times around the Earth every year

A DEDICATED worker drives the equivalent of four times around the Earth every year as he has the longest commute in Britain.

Gary Egan travels a whopping 160,000km between his home in Porthcawl and his workplace in Watford, Hertfordshire, so he can still live the country life with his partner Sarah.

The father-of-two — who works as the head of production for Rocket Graphics Ltd — sets his alarm for 3.30am every day before setting off on the six-hour round trip in his eco-friendly Renault Clio.

Apparently he thinks the compensation of living in Porthcawl makes it all worthwhile.

160,000km..........what is that in miles? Why must we have kilometres now. What's wrong with English MILES? Grrrrrrrrr!

Anyway, rant over. :) He must have more money than sense IMO. Move closer to work or change jobs. Simples. :)

MIne is an hour and forty minutes each way across London from East Ham to Kingston on public transport

As with everything else, it's fine when it's all working and if I get problems at either end of the journey I'm in much worse trouble than if there's a problem in London (plenty of redundancy in the transport network so if one line is out of action I have alternatives).

The other advantage is I'm going with the flow only at the start of the morning and the end of the evening journeys. In the mornings, the train out from Waterloo is quiet as is the train back into London in the evening.

It's not been fun with the wet mornings - give me a dry walk up to the station anytime.

One of the advantages of working on Weather Ships. Roll out of your bunk and into work.

I've done a few stupid commutes, Lived in Gloucester and then commuted by Car to Reading for 6 months, then Worked in Luton and Commuted from Thurrock. (Many moons ago)

Now I do Thurrock to Chancery Lane, which involves 20 mins in the car, 20 mins on a train, two tubes and a five minute walk. - it's about an hour 20 in total, but I always leave another 20 min on top of that in case of the inevitable train/tube fail which happens at least once a week.

To get home, providing it's not raining a monsoon, I like to walk to either Liverpool or Fenchurch Street, which is takes about half an hour, and then jump on the train.

That guy must REALLY like Porthcawl. or Maybe he REALLY likes his car?

That guy must REALLY like Porthcawl. or Maybe he REALLY likes his car?

Or maybe he REALLY dislikes his Mrs Posted Image

When i was a trainee i used to commute from Chelmsford to Tottenham..my daily commute would be a 30 minute walk to the train station then a 45 minute train journey(on a good day) to Liverpool street then change trains..get the train to Tottenham Hale 20 minutes then it was a 20 minute walk to site..i used to allow 20 minutes waiting for trains at Chelmsford and Liverpool street..then do the same trip back in the evening..that would take me 2hrs 10 mins to get to work..i used to get up at 5.00am to be on site for 7.30am..i did that for 6 months.As i used to work for 6 months and go to college for 6 months (my degree was a sandwich course).

The journey to work was standing room only..but on the way back i always got a seat and used to sleep on the train and always woke up at Ingatestone which is the stop before Chelmsford. After this i vowed never to commute more than an hour from home...and never did..now my commute is 20-25 mins from home to work.

My sister lives in Leeds but works in Middlesbrough - though she doesn't go every day of the week. She works at a children's home so usually stays the night and then has 'rest days'. She was actually going to move up there, but I think she decided against it (good decision).

Edited by cheese

Commute? what's for tea duck!  Posted Image

Posted Image

beat me to it