Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

According to the radar parts of south west wales have seen an inch of rain just in the last hour!Latest update shows around 32mm of rain in an hour. That's more than we have had all day. Cant imagine all that in an hour here right now.

Edited by <<Ryan>>

Posted

Darent flood warning is now red. Not surprised, given the torrential rain. I think it could be a rough night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Channel 5 next Snow trapped...might make a change from the rain lol

"Every year snow brings Britain to a grinding hault" lol not this winter I don't think !
  • Like 2

Posted

Yup, still raining and getting a bit windier again too, just for giggles.

I dunno, the weather always seems to have to be the most this or the least that. We've had a vicious set of Atlantic storms hitting the country since mid-December, causing considerable damage to those in low-lying areas and by the sea, the latter not helped by some of the bigger depressions coinciding with high tide. Meanwhile, North America is freezing and Oz is a bit on the warm side, and very dry. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the weather averages out over the world, and we're getting the bum steer of the wet and windy stuff at the moment. As well as saying that the last two months have been the wettest for X years, the four previous ones, taken as a whole, would have been the snowiest for 50 years or more. Just goes to show that statistics do whatever you want them to say. The last thing I want to see is an excuse to use the lack of expertise at the EA for an increase in the price of heating people's homes. Because you know they'll do it.

Ah, I feel better for that. Sorry.

• Like 2

Posted

full up now Posted Image

tonight

take a guess

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

winds may get gusty later

but rainfall is concern

please check the environment website if concerned re flooding

temps not important

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

in the morning strong and gusty westerly winds will be replaced by less strong but cooler north westerlies

expect the rain to clear just before lunch to the west of the region

the rest around 2-3 pm

Posted Image

Posted Image

temps

Posted Image

around 8 degrees when raining

dropping a tad to around 6 degrees during daylight hours

dropping down fairly when night falls

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

winds veering back to a south westerly

gaining strength to 50mph most areas

60 mph possible south coastal regions

rainfall

Posted Image

will be dry and cold up to around midnight

then rain on the way and some heavy and persistant

Posted Image

very heavy and will be worse due to the wind strength

ukmo for 7am shows this

Posted Image

so winds am still gusty but still 50-60 mph

temps not important

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

still a strong and gusty south west wind

50-60 mph most areas

potential 70 mph south coastal

winds to the far north of the region may be a shade lower but only a little

rainfall

Posted Image

looks likely heavy rain clears by lunch

to return again a few hours later

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

somewhere around 6-8 degrees

but with the wind and rain will feel horrid

jet

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday night

Posted Image

still a very strong but now westerly wind

50-60 mph

rainfall

Posted Image

the night starts dry

but again more heavy and blustery rain moves in

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

temps will be cold around 3-4 degrees

in the heavier bursts keep your eye out for some wintry precipitation

although the rain will be the main concern again

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday

Posted Image

winds still gusty

around 40 maybe the odd 50mph gust from a cold westerly

rainfall

Posted Image

looks dry first thing

but expect some heavy blustery showers through the afternoon

also  will be likely to see hail sleet and even something wintery during the heavier bursts

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

cold wind and temps around 5-6 degrees which will drop quick in any heavy showers

so overall

interesting conditions but not good re the flooding and wind risks

be back later with the rest

Edited by john pike
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

And according to the Daily Excess...

HERE IT COMES: Huge Atlantic storm heading STRAIGHT for Britain will hit in just 23 hours

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458321/Weather-warning-Atlantic-storm-will-smash-into-Britain-and-devastate-southern-coasts

Monster 75 FOOT wave smashes into BRITISH coast: Atlantic superstorm to hit UK TOMORROW

post-10773-0-93313300-1391718999_thumb.j

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458233/Shock-weather-warning-WORST-Atlantic-storm-of-the-winter-is-now-ROARING-towards-Britain

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder, sunny days

Hi everyone. I'm in Stanmore, Middx and have been since 27 January.  My daughter has had 2 spinal operations at the RNOH here and both were successful, I'm pleased to report, but the recovery is a long and dusty road.

Hope she is on the road to recovery now, easy enough to lose track of the world outside when you are looking after someone in hospital. My youngest is under the RNOH as well, due at Bolsover Street clinic next week when the next tube strike is due. Am hoping it isn't too rainy on Wednesday as anticipating a fair bit of walking to be done perhaps - either that or a long queue for a taxi I guess.I am thankful that we bought this house and not another I had my eye on a few years ago - that one had the River Darenth running through the front garden and looking at the EA flood warnings map tonight it would seem likely they are somewhat waterlogged at best. 

• Like 6

Posted

The rain is so heavy here, looking out the window you could almost think its sleet! (If you didn't know better that is)!

Posted

Hi everyone. I'm in Stanmore, Middx and have been since 27 January.  My daughter has had 2 spinal operations at the RNOH here and both were successful, I'm pleased to report, but the recovery is a long and dusty road.

I went out today for the first time in over a week and realised it's been raining.  I haven't even had the news on, (full on Doctor who for 10 days so far) and I didn't realise how bad it is/was/will be.  I hope everyone is safe and well.

Funny how the first view of the weather, reminded me of this place. Posted Image

Hi Chilly

Well done to all of you and the hospital team, very glad to hear your news. That road you mention - keep travelling, pull over when you can or when you need to, there'll be twists, blind corners, tunnels, wide open stretches and, ultimately, beautiful views.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

So glad to hear the good news about your daughter Chilly Milly. I wish you and your daughter all good wishes on the road to recovery for her.

It is still raining heavily here. River Uck is on flood alert, but would not be surprised if it's raised to a flood warning at some time if this continues for another few hours. Looking at JPs charts it's not looking good for the weekend is it?

I was looking at pictures from Swanage n Dorset where we go on holiday every year and could not believe how high the sea level had got to come up over the harbour wall. We have had it pretty bad here, but the West Country has been really battered. I feel so sorry fir those who have had their houses and businesses flooded.

• Like 5

Posted

Chilly Milly that brilliant news, being a full time nurse for a while will mean you will get closer to your daughter, AS words are a lot better than I can put on paper. It will be a long and hopefully fully successful recovery at the end of that dusty long and winding road. I never had children or grandchildren who needed long term caring, to be honest I would be useless, I know however it takes a very special person with special talents to care for anyone, but for someone close to you then it takes an angel. You must enjoy the little victories that are won in her struggle, forget the defeats, set realistic targets, but also aim high. You both will get there, and let's be honest the worse is behind you both as both operation where successful.

Let's hope the darenth will not flood I know its bad as it goes through Dartford town centre, even the ducks where struggling.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 6

Posted

Looking on the radar there seems to be worse to come quite soon... Oh, and just wanted to say (I've mentioned radar, so think I'll get away with it), what a lovely forum this is. People sharing all sorts of things - I must confess over the last few days I've been quite emotional (in a good way!) over some posts - there are clearly some wonderful people out there. I think Abruzzi Spur should write a novel about all of you - he certainly has a way with words!

I agree with you Kate about this forum and those that post here. You're kind about me, but I couldn't remotely do justice to this eclectic, witty, thoughtful and considerate bunch and all of their life experiences. In fact this is the only place I have had the confidence to ever post any attempt at writing outside of the day job (which is not very creative) and that is a tribute to the members here.AS

Chilly Milly that brilliant news, being a full time nurse for a while will mean you will get closer to your daughter, AS words are a lot better than I can put on paper. It will be a long and hopefully fully successful recovery at the end of that dusty long and winding road. I never had children or grandchildren who needed long term caring, to be honest I would be useless, I know however it takes a very special person with special talents to care for anyone, but for someone close to you then it takes an angel. You must enjoy the little victories that are won in her struggle, forget the defeats, set realistic targets, but also aim high. You both will get there, and let's be honest the worse is behind you both as both operation where successful.Let's hope the darenth will not flood I know its bad as it goes through Dartford town centre, even the ducks where struggling.

Now that is what I mean.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!
And according to the Daily Excess...

HERE IT COMES: Huge Atlantic storm heading STRAIGHT for Britain will hit in just 23 hourshttp://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458321/Weather-warning-Atlantic-storm-will-smash-into-Britain-and-devastate-southern-coasts

Monster 75 FOOT wave smashes into BRITISH coast: Atlantic superstorm to hit UK TOMORROW

Posted Imageimage.jpghttps://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458233/Shock-weather-warning-WORST-Atlantic-storm-of-the-winter-is-now-ROARING-towards-Britain[/quote

The Express are scandalous implying that it's going to be worse than the 87 storm..pure scaremongering!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting drive home from Peterborough tonight, mostly extremely heavy rain with only an occasional lighter period of rain. On the way up I noted that the flooding was less than my previous visit, on the way home it was getting worse again. Such a tragedy for those who are affected by the bad weather. The M11 and M25 was just awash with water, the lights where blinding and the idiots who drove up my tail are total ..... Please fill in the dots. That's a first the swear filter kicked in there.

did the M11 and M25 journey for 5 years daily. knew every pothole there was :D

it was a labour of love getting to work at Henlow every day. Woolwich ferry at  5 am. and then motorway driving all the way to work. i remember the winters where the A1M was down to one lane blocked with snow. but my biggest memory was that of seeing a wooden pallet flying off the back of a lorry towards me. saw it pass over my sunroof and land on lane 2 and explode into splinters. fortunately there was no one hurt or any damage as the drivers behind me managed to stop in time. i used to get told off by my work mates in winter. there was me driving 80 odd miles to work in fog/snow/ice and the guys who lived a few miles from work would phone in saying they couldnt get in to work.... my boss would reply; "well Mick's made it in" they soon sussed and would phone me up and say "dont come in today, call in and say its adverse weather" :lol:

its actually not raining here now. hardly any wind and temp is around 10C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Just signing in. Home safe though much flooding and puddles. Not looking forward to the weekend.

Stay safe.

• Like 3

Posted

Ooh just noticed xcweather is forecasting 3.2cm of snow (in 53mph winds) next Tuesday Posted Image

thats like a year wawy in weather terms :D but i live in hope :)

Just signing in. Home safe though much flooding and puddles. Not looking forward to the weekend.

Stay safe.

glad youre home ok. hopefully the weekend will be less severe then the hype thats bigging it up :)

Posted

Evening all,

I've just driven down from Harrogate to Southend, (A1, A14, M11,) I was quite suprised how little rain there was, plenty of spray from all the lorries (where do they all come from/go), but not much in the way of heavy rain, have we escaped the worst of it again on the Eastern strip....

Cheers

FC