Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Miserable here.Temp 4.7 degrees and rain getting heavier and looks like next 6 hours or so it will get heavier.Can you imagine if this rain belt was a snowbelt.We would end up with about 6 inchs of snow!!If only.....

Yeah, but you know if it was colder the precip would decide not to show up. Tis sods law afterall.

Posted

That is a huge am

This is showing sorry should have explained a bit.. The low in the channel and straddling over France is moving due North East.. as it moves in this direction is will drag up even more PPN (Rain) and dump it over us, now we watch the radar for lightning strikes ETC and the rapid increase in PPN rates.. 

Also, we need to watch this bit..

(yes I do love my arrows)

Posted Imagelow.jpg

That is a huge amount of rain coming up the channel straight for us...

Posted

That is a huge am

That is a huge amount of rain coming up the channel straight for us...

Certainly getting some near Cherbourg

http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/surf/vue/5313-france-basse-normandie-beaumont-hague-la-hague-vauville

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

With mum now. Drive here challenging due to the challenging drivers slashing through all the puddles at full pelt.

Rain stopped for now.

Wish me luck for the drive home.

Posted

Been raining for a few hours here at work (London Southbank) - it's come over very dark now though, so possibly in for some heavier bursts soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well the warm front is more or less through here, next comes the cold front which is acting very Spanish plume like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Here it comes with more behind it..

Posted Imagerain 6.png

I will be driving towards that soon. Currently in Banstead and it's getting dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

In the last ten minutes it has become very dark - the rain has slowed to a steady drizzle but there is clearly something on its way...

Wind getting up a bit too. I know I shouldn't admit to finding pre-storm moments such as these exciting, in view of what some are going through - but it really is a very atmospheric scene out there. Bet I won't be saying that in half an hour when I go to collect the kids though...

Edited by kate1
  • Like 2

Posted

Here it comes with more behind it..

Posted Imagerain 6.png

Can I have an arrow on that one please? Posted Image 

Seriously, though can I have an arrow, wondering if that horrible blob over the North West of France is heading our way.

• Like 1

That looks ominous for the drive back from Southampton

I will be driving towards that soon. Currently in Banstead and it's getting dark.

Stay safe lots of surface water about now..

Can I have an arrow on that one please? Posted Image

Seriously, though can I have an arrow, wondering if that horrible blob over the North West of France is heading our way.

Ta da!

post-12648-0-31071300-1391703530_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all,

And the verdict here is 'Wet', very wet infact, bit of a breeze and feeling cool in the 5.2oC 'heat' we have at present.

Trying to summon up the enthusiasm to quickly nip out to the post box (it is not far but still cack out there all the same).

• Like 1

Posted

There are a couple of lovely bright "squally" lines forming pointing North East... as it's all moving North East if you're under one of them it'll be over you for quite some time! They'll hit somewhere in KEnt, but might just miss Essex

I've based these black direction arrows on the last hour's movement of the rain.

post-10957-0-18986100-1391705134_thumb.j

Edited by SteveCoops
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Here’s some facts and figures from the met office for the weather we’ve seen through December and January:

For the UK

For the UK, December was provisionally the equal-fifth wettest December in the national series dating back to 1910 and January was the third wettest January in the same record. When the two months are combined, it is provisionally the wettest December and January in the series.

There were more days of rain (any day with more than 1mm of rainfall) for the UK in January than for any other month in a series dating back to 1961, with 23 days.

It was the windiest December for the UK in records back to 1969, based on the occurrence of winds in excess 60 kts (69mph).

England and Wales

Looking at the England and Wales Precipitation series, which dates back to 1766, it has been the wettest December to January since 1876/1877 and the 2nd wettest overall in the series.

Southern England

There have been very few dry days in this area since 12 December and regional statistics suggest that this is one of, if not the most, exceptional periods of winter rainfall in at least 248 years.

Despite the rainfall being concentrated in the second half of the month it was the wettest December for south east England since 1959.

January was the wettest January for the south England region in the national series dating back to 1910, and the wettest calendar month for the south east region in the same series by a huge margin.

The two-month total of 372.2mm for the southeast and central southern England region is the wettest any 2-month period in the series from 1910 .

From 12th December to 31st January parts of south England recorded over five months worth of rainfall (based on average January rainfall for the region).

You can see more statistics on recent weather and through the historical records on the UK climate pages.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/uks-exceptional-weather-in-context/

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

As I thought, being out in that was considerably less 'atmospheric' than watching it develop from the comfort of the living room... it's going to be quite an evening, I think.