Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Good afternoon AS.Posted Image

I'm about 5 miles north of your current location in Harefield and the nearest Met Office weather station at RAF Northolt is recording a noticeable  increase in wind gusts in the last couple of hours. The most recent recording there ( 11am ) was over 40mph. I find the Met Office station there is notoriously slow to update it's reports. Suffice to say it's a bit breezy in these here parts !

Raining here on the Hillingdon/Uxbridge borders. Grey. Trees waving a fair bit, although not quite at last night's levels yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Rain arrived in Southwark about half an hour ago and wind has picked up a lot.

Im leaving work at 2 as really cant deal with the northern line jam packed rush hour due to the tube strike...Wont get paid for the afternoon but at least i should get home without having a row with someone....one can hope....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Cloudy now in Ippy and the wind is really picking up again. Some very strong gusts.

Strange how I thought I heard an explosion early this morning then there was that gas explosion in Clacton three hours later. Cue X Files music. :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I've seen some very distressed hairstyles this morning.

The poor drowned rats out there with total umbrella failure are also suffering some of the worst 'bad hair days' ever. Has anyone seen a flying toupe yet ?

But the postman is wearing shorts, even today.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Aaaaand we have the rain...

Whistling noise 4/10

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Cloudy now in Ippy and the wind is really picking up again. Some very strong gusts. Strange how I thought I heard an explosion early this morning then there was that gas explosion in Clacton three hours later. Cue X Files music. :D

post-10773-0-56662400-1391605379_thumb.jYes bit of a shocker that - as is the footage on the news showing the storm damage in the south west ! Nice to see some of the long time lurkers on here coming out of the woodwork and posting suddenly - maybe we're not so scary after all !
  • Like 5

Posted

Good afternoon AS.Posted Image

I'm about 5 miles north of your current location in Harefield and the nearest Met Office weather station at RAF Northolt is recording a noticeable  increase in wind gusts in the last couple of hours. The most recent recording there ( 11am ) was over 40mph. I find the Met Office station there is notoriously slow to update it's reports. Suffice to say it's a bit breezy in these here parts !

Thanks BB, it could be a lively drive home then. Just had the only meeting of the day, and the main reason I came in to the office, postponed so maybe I will head off and work in one of my alternative office locations, perhaps in the car parked up somewhere on the North Downs where there is a wifi signal and, more importantly, a decent view of the weather as it steams in!

AS

• Like 2

Posted

Raining here on the Hillingdon/Uxbridge borders. Grey. Trees waving a fair bit, although not quite at last night's levels yet.

Hi Reef......according to the Northolt site winds are currently higher than last nights and increasing. It seems never ending doesn't it ?Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Well, the storm has arrived here in our part of East Sussex. It was quite nice first thing, but has deteriorated rapidly in the last 2 hours. It is lashing down and the gusts are making the house rattle! Not good if you are out and about. Just heard on our local news that the old Brighton pier has split in two. These continuing storms are causing such havoc across the whole of the southern part of Britain.

I feel so sorry for people who gave had their homes damaged by the floods and winds.

If you are out and about this afternoon, take care.

• Like 6

Posted

Afternoon all. It was lovely and sunny here in Kingston this morning but very windy. It has now started raining. I am off to Paris this weekend so not sure what kind of weather I am letting myself in for! 

I'm afraid it is going to be the same as here, I live in France, at least at the weekends, and the whole of North West Europe is getting this battering.

I hope you have a good weekend inspite of the weather, Paris is a great place...

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

A bit worrying that we have four consecutive days (including today) of MO Amber Warnings. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but I can't remember seeing that before.

Any updates on Saturdays storm? I got the impression that could be the worst of the lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Heavy rain and very strong winds here now. Vile!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

afternoon all. 

Total change here in the weather now. Grey, raining and really gusty. Wind tried knocking me off my feet just now when I popped out for some shopping. Glad to be back indoors thats for sure. My hair is way past distressed....

• Like 3

Posted

It looks a bit rough down in Bognor Regis and high tide is still almost 2 hours away. Thankfully the peak is lower than recent days. ( 5.4m ).

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all , started nice and sunny and not to much in the way of extreme windy conditions. We have been luckier then those further south with regards to the amount of rainfall and gales. usual flooding of rivers but nothing of extreme or to write home about so can be thankful for that. Has gone very grey now and wind has picked up quite a bit but should once again avoid the worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Well, apparently all this weather is because of the jet stream staying in 'a locked position' So according to the met men, if it (jet stream) continues to stay put.....we will have storm after storm. Not nice for the poor blighters down in the SW.

Posted

I've seen some very distressed hairstyles this morning.

The poor drowned rats out there with total umbrella failure are also suffering some of the worst 'bad hair days' ever. Has anyone seen a flying toupe yet ?

But the postman is wearing shorts, even today.

When I lived in Chislehurst last year my postman wore shorts every day without fail :)

• Like 2

Posted

Some big old waves down there!

It's certainly a bit choppy there Luke !!  This is one of the best quality live webcams I have found for our region, I often have it playing in the background just to get my fix of the waves crashing onto the beach. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

surely those waves when high tide comes @ 3:11 willl go onto the road?

Probably not Luke. I have been watching this webcam quite often and even when the peak tide was over 7m a few days ago the waves stopped short of the road. Its a very steep pebble beach there I believe. Hopefully someone with local knowledge can comment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Afternoon all - woken up at 6am this morning by Flood Alert for Upper Medway. River and stream levels however currently looking OK which suggests that again the local shield has protected us from the rain that fell in the wider area overnight..

Winds gusty now but not seriously so- although I need to go out and weigh down the bin lids as forgot to do that last night and keep getting an occasional thunk from outside. The Eucalyptus in the front garden on the stream bank is bending like crazy but roots still holding firm with the bank. Dreading saturday - if it comes down it's going to be a hell of a mess to clear up as it will rip out a large section of the stream bank. possibly take out my front windows and give the piggies a real fright - might move them to the other end of the lounge later today.

Am seriously thinking of investing in a weather station as currently I can only judge the winds by whether the double glazing creaks during gusts (as it is now) or whistles (like it did night of 23rd Dec).Have no intention of travelling anywhere until sunday - time to tackle the ironing and paper mountains whilst watching a few choice DVD's - I think it might be a back to back Pirates of the Caribbean or Lethal Weapon kind of dayxxx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Saturday looks worrying. 80-90mph for the southwest easily. post-15503-0-23803800-1391611172_thumb.p

• Like 2