Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

having been a civil servant for 25 + years i have often considered going to Canada. got a degree in engineering and other qualifications too. plus i have a distant relative there too..... might start considering it again Posted Image but not for weather, more for quality of life Posted Image

Snap. That's what my husband did - except he started up and ran 3 companies which he sold 10 years ago. Even if he couldn't find a regular job, he could teach.... there's a technical university in Nelson.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I'm probably on my own here, but I have been enjoying this mad weather with met office warnings popping out every few days for weeks now.

I would prefer it if most of this had been while under a big strong cold spell though lol, would of beaten 1947 with all these lows that keep on coming.

I still think we will see some snow yet to, once winter starts Posted Image

Not sure I've been really enjoying it as such - but I do agree that it's been an uniquely interesting winter (for those of us lucky enough to watch from the sidelines) - it has had a horrible fascination to it, bit like driving past a car crash on the opposite carriageway.... in terms of understanding how the weather works it's certainly been an education.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Good news.....I have had word from Mr C .....he's alive and wet well and will be posting his report from the west country later this evening when he's washed his hair Posted Image

Yes, home after driving 450 miles today, so a little bit tired.

I'll post more tomorrow. Posted Image

I will say the scariest thing I faced though, was driving at least half a mile down one of those single track roads, with high banks and no passing spaces. The road was a bit windy and steep too. After this drive, which wasn't pleasant anyway, with the thought of a driver coming from the opposite direction to the fore, I was faced with this...

post-11059-0-60419300-1391638705_thumb.p  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I thought f.f.s.! If it was a drought situation in summer, I'd have not been too concerned, but in this weather... Needless to say, I was lucky and after getting out of the car and prodding a stick through the water, which was quite cloudy, so depth was hard to ascertain from sight alone, I established that it was nowhere more than 1 foot deep and I drove through with no issues. I was cursing as to why the ford sign wasn't at the road entrance though. If the ford had been deep, I'd have been stuffed. I'd never have been able to reverse the 1/2 mile, back uphill, without the clutch burning out.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What happens when Canada is full like we are here in the UK?

will you all move back?

Canada is 38 x times the size of the UK. Population 28 million, i.e a third of ours.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but stopping a country 'filling up' is what Canada has a proper points-based immigration policy for… like most of the other developed nations (including South Africa) have in place.

If they need bricklayers or heart surgeons or plumbers, you get in. If they don't need your skill set you don't.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

What happens when Canada is full like we are here in the UK?

will you all move back?

good question. but thats the crux of it. every country has immigartion and emmigration, so (unlike the current UK policy) theres a good chance Canada wont get full up, because the regulations over who is allowed in their country is stricter than ours. OK they have immigration problems too, but nowhere as bad as the EU has now. plus; they have a decent winter Posted Image

Edited by MAF
  • Like 2

Posted

Snap. That's what my husband did - except he started up and ran 3 companies which he sold 10 years ago. Even if he couldn't find a regular job, he could teach.... there's a technical university in Nelson.

not got time right now and perhaps the regional weather thread is not the right place... perhaps you could start a thread in the non serious place... "woud you emmigrate? and why? and where?" :) would love to see the responses :D

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all, got to get away early in the morning, so doubt if I have time to post. Funny talking about emigrating to Canada, one of my old cricketing mates went out about 40 years ago, he was an expert in refrigeration and was snapped up by the government, never really made sense needing refrigeration experts out there, but they do and boy he had a good life. Thought about it myself, but like most never took the plunge.

Meal was surperb tonight, think I might have gained a few browny points, makes a change, properly only a few million to get back to evens.

MK warning, makes me wonder why people takes such risk, never understand why, perhaps I just not a risk taker, but when you see and feel the power of the winds and wave, then why, what is the thrill I'm missing. Mother Nature has tremendous powers stored within its systems, which are released with such a fury, they can destroy the defences and constructions of men. I been at sea in force 11 and 12 gales, the power is ore inspiring, I was on a large cruise ship, being driven by goodness knows how many horsepower, when it hit a freak wave, captain estimated it at well in excess 40' despite all the momentum and power of the engines, the cruise ship was stopped dead by the force of that single wave, that is power. I suppose because I seen the force of the sea at first hand, I can't see the fascination. As MK everyone please stay safe, it silly to risk yours and others life for a great photo, taking your dog for a walk etc..

Funny old night out there, crescent moon, scudding clouds, fairly windy and warm, mostly dry, but a few quick passing showers.

• Like 4

Posted

very mild here CK. moon keeps getting obscured by those scudding clouds so it shows the winds still strong. but best of all..... its dry here :) dog walk was good for a change. although he still made me work for a while... chasing him away from the foxes :rolleyes:

Posted

gfs 18z at 144

Posted Image

no low there either Posted ImagePosted Image

I wouldn't get to happy, check the BBC Weather forecast (long range video) and they're warning about it already.

Posted

gfs 18z at 144

Posted Image

no low there either Posted ImagePosted Image

JP is the navgem showing the storm? I can't view as on phone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Evening all, got to get away early in the morning, so doubt if I have time to post. Funny talking about emigrating to Canada, one of my old cricketing mates went out about 40 years ago, he was an expert in refrigeration and was snapped up by the government, never really made sense needing refrigeration experts out there, but they do and boy he had a good life. Thought about it myself, but like most never took the plunge.Meal was surperb tonight, think I might have gained a few browny points, makes a change, properly only a few million to get back to evens.MK warning, makes me wonder why people takes such risk, never understand why, perhaps I just not a risk taker, but when you see and feel the power of the winds and wave, then why, what is the thrill I'm missing. Mother Nature has tremendous powers stored within its systems, which are released with such a fury, they can destroy the defences and constructions of men. I been at sea in force 11 and 12 gales, the power is ore inspiring, I was on a large cruise ship, being driven by goodness knows how many horsepower, when it hit a freak wave, captain estimated it at well in excess 40' despite all the momentum and power of the engines, the cruise ship was stopped dead by the force of that single wave, that is power. I suppose because I seen the force of the sea at first hand, I can't see the fascination. As MK everyone please stay safe, it silly to risk yours and others life for a great photo, taking your dog for a walk etc..Funny old night out there, crescent moon, scudding clouds, fairly windy and warm, mostly dry, but a few quick passing showers.

You make me love being single :lol: with your stories (keep them coming I plan to be a monk soon :lol: )

• Like 2

Posted

hi rich

when the fax charts get in line i will worry

but people saying 1987 comparisons which i saw earlier were silly

also bear in mind i post for the south east not elsewhere

the long range will hint not warn

that low is not concrete yet

and i reckon the track will change

even if it exists

check ukmo its not on there either

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yes, home after driving 450 miles today, so a little bit tired.

I'll post more tomorrow. Posted Image

I will say the scariest thing I faced though, was driving at least half a mile down one of those single track roads, with high banks and no passing spaces. The road was a bit windy and steep too. After this drive, which wasn't pleasant anyway, with the thought of a driver coming from the opposite direction to the fore, I was faced with this...

Posted Image14-Ford-warning-sign.png  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I though f.f.s.! If it was a drought situation in summer, I'd have not been too concerned, but in this weather... Needless to say, I was lucky and after getting out of the car and prodding a stick through the water, which was quite cloudy, so depth was hard to ascertain from sight alone, I established that it was nowhere more than 1 foot deep and I drove through with no issues. I was cursing as to why the ford sign wasn't at the road entrance though. If the ford had been deep, I'd have been stuffed. I'd never have been able to reverse the 1/2 mile, back uphill, without the clutch burning out.

I'm just relieved you were driving, goodness knows how long it would have taken you to get back by train.

• Like 1

Posted

hi rich

when the fax charts get in line i will worry

but people saying 1987 comparisons which i saw earlier were silly

also bear in mind i post for the south east not elsewhere

the long range will hint not warn

that low is not concrete yet

and i reckon the track will change

even if it exists

check ukmo its not on there either

True, it always changes, upgrades/downgrades and to be honest I try not to read to many scary thoughts on here as to what might happen, as for the BBC Weather well I tend to go with them even if they get it wrong.

Posted

True, it always changes, upgrades/downgrades and to be honest I try not to read to many scary thoughts on here as to what might happen, as for the BBC Weather well I tend to go with them even if they get it wrong.

Guess we now know they follow the ECM model cause I would doubt the met mentioning anything about the storm on Monday at the min. It doesn't exist in most of the models.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Guess we now know they follow the ECM model cause I would doubt the met mentioning anything about the storm on Monday at the min. It doesn't exist in most of the models.

It's on the  BBC weather web site now, there's a video talking about the jet stream and it's on there.

Posted

navgem tonight

Posted Image

earlier

Posted Image

absolutely no point going that far ahead

look how different these are

Thanks JP was interested to see difference if shows Friday then maybe something to watch
  • Like 2

Posted

It's on the  BBC weather web site now, there's a video talking about the jet stream and it's on there.

Yep just watched it, but what I meant was, I think that the BBC are sometimes using the ECM in their graphics for forecast, not necessarily anything to do with the met. They have there own forecaster and weather office. I watched a vid about it not long ago.

Found it.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=5

if we can see the jet do this

Posted Image

this will help shift the lows further south

Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=0

we would start to see an end to this muck

all fi

but a lot better seeing this at present and maybe a chance of something cooler as well

Posted Image

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=1

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

You make me love being single :lol: with your stories (keep them coming I plan to be a monk soon :lol: )

LOL I've been married 20 years, but I'd still fancy myself a Female detective Cadfael...minus the monk moniker ;-) - It'ts been blustery and icy at times down here today. Afew trees down, lost a portion of the historic West Pier ( so glad I was able to take some unique shots of the elegant lady from the sea end via a boat a couple of years back for prosperity ) Everytime I hear 'the monk mentioned' I think of this...
. :-) Edited by Alixzandra
  • Like 2

Posted

Jax, in all fairness, I do take the Micky out of my wife, but I am more in love with her now, than those first few years of marriage, I couldn't think what it would be like coming home to an empty house, without the warm feeling of wondering what the hell I have done this time and how do I get out the latest cock up I made. I think its the knowledge that she is there to support me through the difficult times, the bad days at work, when all you want to do is kick the cat (we haven't got one, but I still want to kick it), the fun times, the birth of the grand kids, the death of a family friend. I know that she will always be there criticising, trying to turn me into her perfect husband, she knowing deep down, that the best she can hope for is the slob that I am. Its a partnership, you give and take, you bend to suit each, and Jax when you meet the right one, something deep down inside tells you, it will be hard, it will be infuriating, you will put your fist through a door in shear rage, but, always there will be that warm glow that I suppose is that terrible thing called love. Man, its fun, I am pleased I done it, and I sincerely hope you will get that bloody annoying bug.

But my friend, enjoy your freedom, because you never know when you will get struck down, enjoy everything that is thrown at you. I did and somehow I got a wonderful wife whose 60 today, I been married for more years than I can remember, (but I did get 5 50's and took 5 wickets on 40 occasions) but tomorrow I can absolutely guarantee that I will do something wrong and the battle will re commence.

Sorry about this pile of old gobbly gook, but I have had a great night, fine food, no drink and fine company, of her indoors. Can't think of anything to do with weather to finish off with. So goodnight, and everybody have a great evening and day tomorrow.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I think the models will come on board with the intense low on Monday, I don't believe it will as intense as the models say it will be but I reckon there will be some consistency with this next system at least. 

Edited by PerfectStorm