Posted Image

these look cold to me

certainly the coldest set i have seen for a while

obviously more runs needed etc etc

from the 10th on a lot of cold ensembles showing there

Edited by john pike
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi all when will this grim weather stop. Had a nice couple of days on the slopes in morzine but the forcast is for rain here on Saturday. I swear the rain is following us like the plague for us Brits. Bet it would rain on us even if we moved to the Sahara desert

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

It's ironic the Tube Drivers go on strike during the storms. Don't think they will be missed that much to be honest Posted Image  Anyway, what are they going on strike this time for? Shoe laces too short or/& not the right type of cows on the line Posted Image

I think the uniform pockets are too small for their pay packets....

With over 2 million unemployed, some people would give their right arm for a career with training, to provide for their families.

Disgrace sack the lot of em.

Its getting very windy here, hope the tiles hold out!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I couldn't agree more with your post Nick.

Also, a few weeks ago, the environment agency told residents in Somerset there were no more pumps available. Some of the residents thought that was very odd, so they phoned around and actually found companies ready to deploy industrial pumps to their village. The residents marched to the environment agency's office and told them they were liars and there were pumps available. Environment agency had no choice and ordered the pumps there and then. Something is not quite right here.

This EA is a QUANGO headed by people with no experience of drainage or river management, so what do we expect?

About 7 years ago the EU issued an environmental directive that in order to preserve fish spawning grounds no natural watercourses were allowed to be dredged at any time and that special permission to dredge man-made ones such as canals or reservoirs etc had to be sought from the EA.

I know this for a fact as a personal friend of mine used to work for the Rivers and Waterways Authority until it was disbanded and brought under the jurisdiction of the EA. They vigorously protested that this would spell disaster at the time but were overruled and sacked. The people in the Somerset Levels and elsewhere are experiencing exactly the same problem with exactly the same cause as the people of Cockermouth several years ago.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

As the other half works for TFL and getting to hear of what the actual proposals are for job cuts and job downgrades and having actually suffered a substantial paycut maybe some would be wise to check what the details of the proposals are before casting judgement on strike action.

To keep on the topic of weather gusts getting up now and knocked out freeview signal from the aerial.

• Like 5

Posted

The reduction in station staff numbers proposed worries me. At one point Bozza claimed it would be about having a staff member on the platforms with an iPad so they could give passengers information. Sounds like a mugger's paradise to me.

Posted

The reduction in station staff numbers proposed worries me. At one point Bozza claimed it would be about having a staff member on the platforms with an iPad so they could give passengers information. Sounds like a mugger's paradise to me.

OT but watch these two videos... people are taking their lives in their hands travelling on public transport in London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10616714/Man-kicked-through-top-floor-window-of-double-decker-bus.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10489152/Police-release-CCTV-of-London-bus-attack.html

Tube 'drivers' get £50k for pushing a button to start the trains, the rest on most of the Underground lines is done by computer nowadays with only a couple of lines left to be automated. Nice work if you can get it.

PS Use the River Thames, it's what I started doing during the Tube strikes when I had to get from Waterloo to the City - Tower Pier - instead of walking... it was brilliant and I wished I'd done it before. Only cost £1.60 e/w in 2003.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Indeed at the moment every station has a station supervisor the current proposals are to have mobile station supervisors covering multiple stations. Trouble with that is if there is a problem at a station and the supervisor can't get to the station ......There is also talk of using the space currently occupied by the ticket offices to be used as drop off points for Amazon or even Sainsbury's I dread to think of the security risk posed by that little one but they are just thinking of the revenue they could earn from it.

Posted

It's ironic the Tube Drivers go on strike during the storms. Don't think they will be missed that much to be honest Posted Image  Anyway, what are they going on strike this time for? Shoe laces too short or/& not the right type of cows on the line Posted Image

I think nowadays strikes are to protest at reductions in benefits or jobs and not for pay rises etc.Most people would want to keep what they get and would protest if it was being taken away. Just my view having been made redundant 2 years ago.

Anyway back to the weather...... wind seems to be at a constant drone outside.

It must be very strange this winter not getting a chance for more of your super dooper ramps..... I hope you get a chance soon.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

This is about station staffing levels, not driver pay, Iceni. It's interesting that tomorrow, the chief reason for shutting large parts of the network are because it's not safe if there aren't sufficient staff, especially supervisors. LUT's proposals are all about cutting staff numbers, especially supervisors. As Sussex Jules says - what happens if there is a major problem and the supervisor can't get there because the line's suspended? It's terribly badly thought through. 

• Like 3

Posted

As the other half works for TFL and getting to hear of what the actual proposals are for job cuts and job downgrades and having actually suffered a substantial paycut maybe some would be wise to check what the details of the proposals are before casting judgement on strike action.

To keep on the topic of weather gusts getting up now and knocked out freeview signal from the aerial.

Just pointing out they are on strike on par with this storm, so many will not miss them in my opinion this time. They do seem to go on strike every single year. Let Richard Branson take over the rail network and there would be hardly any strikes or maybe none.

Anyway, army & navy are on standby in Ireland due to severe wind & flooding conditions in many areas Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

not to worry guys

it will soon be winter Posted Image

Yes John. In Spring when we want the bees buzzing about pollinating my orchard blossom so I get lots of lovely apples, plums, pears and quinces for bottling.

Got down to 3 bottles of last years plums, one of the quinces and only got 2 bottles of frozen apple juice now. I can just see we'll have to wait until Autumn 2015 to get any more. And then I'll be really mean and not give any away like this time. Grrr.

Oh well, here's the Beatles again... they cheer me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aOJGJD-SQc&list=TLOxn7CWqH2_4p52JmOMC82sl38FbGGtEa

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well, the rain's been a'lashing down for an hour or so now and here comes the wind. Another night in Paradise lol. Stay safe everyone, looks like it could get quite nasty.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Bet it would rain on us even if we moved to the Sahara desert

Well it's snowing on our soldiers in Iran.....About 500,000 villagers are trapped in northern Iran, while UK soldiers build their first snowman at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan.http://news.sky.com/story/1205832/iran-blanketed-in-heaviest-snow-in-50-years
  • Like 2

Posted

Be alert as very high energy levels will increase storms' intensity & wind gusts will peak around noon Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by yamkin

It's not tube drivers but station staff. Do keep up. Posted Image

1000 station staff will be cut. All ticket offices closed. So much more fare avoidance without staff so savings will be wiped out. All those things you could only do at offices like add gold cards and disabled railcards to an oyster card or sort out refunds and use vouchers will go. 

Edited by SF-02
  • Like 2

Posted

It's not tube drivers but station staff. Do keep up. Posted Image

1000 station staff will be cut. All ticket offices closed. So much more fare avoidance without staff so savings will be wiped out. All those things you could only do at offices like add gold cards and disabled railcards to an oyster card or sort out refunds and use vouchers will go. 

London Underground workers have gone on strike over proposals by Transport for London (TfL) to cut jobs and close ticket offices.

I think the uniform pockets are too small for their pay packets....With over 2 million unemployed, some people would give their right arm for a career with training, to provide for their families.Disgrace sack the lot of em.Its getting very windy here, hope the tiles hold out!

Yep, drag everyone down to the levels of the lowest paid rather than lift up those at the bottom. A nice race to the bottom. They get 26k - how dare they! Put them on 12k. Then let benefits top it up to pay for ridiculous housing costs in the UK so the taxpayer loses out. It's a job where they get abused day in day out living in the most expensive city in Europe.

And then cut everyone on more than 12k across the country down to minimum wage. Is that your solution to unemployment? 

Edited by SF-02
  • Like 3

London Underground workers have gone on strike over proposals by Transport for London (TfL) to cut jobs and close ticket offices.

Even the TSSA union is out not just Bob Crow's RMT. The TSSA did not go on strike from 1926 to 2010.

Couple it with train problems due to the weather and tomorrow is a day to stay in if you can.

• Like 2