Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A big welcome to our latest recruit..... Shackleton.Posted Image

Well in the last two hours or so here the rain hasn't let up and the wind is really gusting. It looks a lot worse along some southern coastal areas though. What concerns me is this pattern of one storm after another now seems locked in for the next 4 or 5 days at least, if not more.

What are your thoughts JP ?

In the meantime I'm relaxing to this tune :

NB: I hope Robin ( Coast is ok )

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

rain just getting heavy here now

hi as

your about right

places shielded from the wind should not fare too bad

wind more problem tonight and tomorrow

rain issue thursday night and tonight and tomorrow

saturday not sure yet but i think we know what the fax charts will show

• Like 2

Posted

The SW must be getting a battering, Just watched a Ryanair jet take half an hour trying to land at Bristol! I never knew that particular airline carried that much extra fuel!!

Posted Imagebristolap.jpg

http://www.flightradar24.com/

They were probably charged the passengers extra to cover the fuel before they let them off the plane.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Proper wild here now, rain lashing windows and trees moving about. Might sleep fully clothed with all mobiles and ipad strapped to me incase something falls on the house, atleast I've got all means of comms on my person.Stupid to think like that I guess!!A few hum dinger big trees here tho.

Not in the least Ruthie.. I might do the same.. It's all going on charge tonight just in case. Wind getting up now in Tunbridge Wells... Pray no patter of tiny hooves tonight... Edited by Sidsnake
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

UK Power networks are stating possible power outages for S/E AND East over the next 24 hours.

UK Power Networks â€  

High winds & rainfall are forecast in the East & South East which may cause #powercuts. Keep an eye on our feed

Oh Joy!

Proper wild here now, rain lashing windows and trees moving about. Might sleep fully clothed with all mobiles and ipad strapped to me incase something falls on the house, atleast I've got all means of comms on my person.

Stupid to think like that I guess!!

A few hum dinger big trees here tho.

LoL, A techie Lara Croft springs to mind! Something weird just happened to my ipad, No keys on pad, just as well I can touch type :-(
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

evening all, hope everyone is ok. 

My chimney is howling and it sounds like a constant rumbling out the front in the trees so its getting underway. I popped out the back and the wind must be coming from a different direction tonight as we are usually pretty sheltered out the back but the wind is ripping through the garden.. Might have to move the little one out the front bedroom again, those trees are creaking badly.

I just saw Storms thread  from fergies twitter they've updated the warning to Amber for SW. Shame it wasnt done earlier seeing 15,000 have lost power, how will they know?

ETA: I guess they'll know by looking outside LOL Im tired ignore Posted Image

Edited by Tilly
  • Like 4

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

The SW must be getting a battering, Just watched a Ryanair jet take half an hour trying to land at Bristol! I never knew that particular airline carried that much extra fuel!!

Posted Imagebristolap.jpg

http://www.flightradar24.com/

I can just imagine Michael O'Leary giving the pilot a right rollicking for using that extra fuel :) Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 4

Posted

A very heavy pulse of rain moving out from a line between Jersey and St Malo at the moment..if that keeps it's current trajectory and intensity that might cross a good part of the region later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !
This is my new toy now in the absence of any snow to watch on the radar I've taken to virtual plane spotting - I don't envy the passengers on that Aer Lingus flight from Heathrow to Cork - nothing to do with the wind/weather I just wouldn't want to fly Air Fungus !! Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

Just checked met office & for my postcode it states that wind gusts are 62mph for Saturday too along with shed loads of rain. I have been thinking about buying a new car lately , I'm now wondering if a boat or parachute would be more useful ? ? Beyond ridiculous now . Feeling sorry for all the poor people yet again in flooded areas , they must be at a point of giving up . It's been an awful since before Xmas & here we are still saying the same in February ?? apart from losing a few fence panels I've been really lucky but this weather is really depressing now ! I don't know how I would be feeling if I was in a flooded area & I can't help but think why isn't more being done to help these poor people ,they seem to have been left to get on with it ? Disgraceful when you think about about it. I know we can't control the weather but in this day & age more could definitely be done .

Sorry rant over !

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

EEEK wet and windy out here now.

think I will call it night since the clamp down so I do not over do it post wise.

Posted

Amber Met office warning for wind just issued for southern parts of our region for tomorrow

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

We've already had a gust of 33mph according to the RGS weather station which is in a reasonably sheltered location, as is Reigate generally as a result of hills to the south, and the north Downs to (unsurprisingly) the north. It's raining steadily now and generally feeling pretty wild. This seems to be what we have for the next few days, though no doubt our top analyst JP can give the details to flesh out my non-technical (ie useless) summary!AS

Think we are a little sheltered here too AS.

Nothing really out of the ordinary wind wise and just some steady rain.

• Like 1

Posted

hi blue

what happens over the next few days looks bad

the lows coming through thankfully look to be quick moving which will help (but certainly not dismissing them)

the one on thursday night is my main concern

any low lying areas could see some real issues with that

i would expect an amber alert tomorrow night if the thursday nights fax is correct

lets hope tomorrow night shifts it away from us (france preferably)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Amber warning for wind tomorrow now

Oh bother, thought from what was post in the storm thread that was only in the SW. As far as I'm aware we've all got to take our kids to school and home during those winds. Wish mine had bikes, I would make them wear their cycle helmets on the way to school.

Posted

The Eastern edge of the rain on the radar hasn't moved more than a couple miles Eastwards in the last hour.. will it make it here? I can almost touch it Posted Image

Edited by SteveCoops

Posted

EEEK wet and windy out here now.

think I will call it night since the clamp down so I do not over do it post wise.

I've heard about this " clampdown ". What's been going on ?

Edited by Southernman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

nothing going on here yet.

. It's on its way to you jj anytime in the next few hours I reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Right shutting down folks,Lights flickering and just dimmed.Power cut on the cards, Take care..speak tomorrow "Hopefully"

Goodnight. Posted Image