Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Morning all.

Feeling a little brighter today. Had a little splash of the wet stuff and now it's a mixed sky - bit of blue, bit of sun, bit of white fluffies and some dark fluffies.

I feel a bit behind on the upcoming storms. Can you enlighten me on today's and I now read Saturday's please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Don't be fooled.. The weather has a habit of doing this also known as "the calm before the storm"

I know, no doubt it will be grey and moody out there soon but I'm enjoying it while its bright Posted Image

p.s rain alarm is going off haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Ah - says it all really! Today:

Wind Speed: 49mph
Posted Image
TomorrowWind Speed 52.3mph
Posted Image
Thu 06/02Wind Speed 43.9mph
Posted Image
Fri 07/02Wind Speed 43.2mph
Posted Image
Sat 08/02Wind Speed 58.9mph
Posted Image

Morning all.

Feeling a little brighter today. Had a little splash of the wet stuff and now it's a mixed sky - bit of blue, bit of sun, bit of white fluffies and some dark fluffies.

I feel a bit behind on the upcoming storms. Can you enlighten me on today's and I now read Saturday's please?

Wind rain wind rain wind rain more rain more wind rain more wind rain rain more wind rain again more wind..again..

On a more serious note:

On summery:

Tonight tomorrow:

Rain: 20-30mm

wind: Inland 50-60mph coast 65-70mph touch higher I feel the more west you go

Thursday Friday:

Wind: 20-30mph all round not an issue

rain: hard to call 30-40mm??

Saturday "perfect storm"

wind: 60-70mph inland coast again high up to 80mph

rain: loads don't know numbers yet..

• Like 2

Posted

Yep, it's gone from sunny blue skies to dark clouds here at London Southbank - bang goes my good mood for the day! 

Scrap my post above - nice and sunny again now...  yay!  Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Wind rain wind rain wind rain more rain more wind rain more wind rain rain more wind rain again more wind..again..

On a more serious note:

On summery:

Tonight tomorrow:

Rain: 20-30mm

wind: Inland 50-60mph coast 65-70mph touch higher I feel the more west you go

Thursday Friday:

Wind: 20-30mph all round not an issue

rain: hard to call 30-40mm??

Saturday "perfect storm"

wind: 60-70mph inland coast again high up to 80mph

rain: loads don't know numbers yet..

Posted Image

Thanks for the update. Batten down the hatches again!.

Off topic but men coming to do the roof tomorrow Posted Image  I guess we will have leakage again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Posted Image

Thanks for the update. Batten down the hatches again!.

Off topic but men coming to do the roof tomorrow Posted Image  I guess we will have leakage again!

Unless they are nuts I think it will be rearranged, I'm sure there must be some health and safety laws that say you can't work on roofs in winds above *blank*. Don't know what the speed might be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Alert of Wind for East of England :

Essex, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock

Gales accompanied by heavy rain will ease during the early hours but in southern and western areas of England and Wales, renewed severe gales are expected to arrive during Wednesday daytime. The focus will be around the middle of the day and early afternoon, with the potential for gusts to around 70 mph in some coastal areas, possibly 80 mph in the most exposed sites in southwest England and south Wales. Inland gusts to around 60 mph are expected. Some disruption seems likely, for example due to fallen trees.

A gradual change to more showery conditions is expected on Wednesday but still with some longer spells of rain, which could bring a further 20 to 30 mm over the hills in Wales but with 10-15 mm being a more general figure. 

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption from either the wind or rain elements in this warning.  Additionally, large waves mean a further risk of flooding in some coastal areas.

Issued at:

1222 on Tue 4 Feb 2014

Valid from:

0015 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

Valid to:

2300 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

The deep area of low pressure will migrate only slowly northwards during Wednesday, swinging bands of rain and strong winds across the entire country. Impacts from rain and wind will be focused in southern and western areas. Please note that conditions for the east of Northern Ireland should ease soon after midnight.

Posted

I know the link was posted earlier but Nick F's blog is well worth a read, it clearly explains what to expect for the next few days....

Severe Gales, Heavy Rain and Coastal Flooding Return

After a few days respite, particularly across central and eastern areas, the rest of the week and the coming weekend will be dominated by further Atlantic storms crossing the UK. In fact, we are going to see three low pressure centres cross the UK between now and Sunday, spawned along a very active Atlantic jet stream which separates very cold air spilling out of NE Canada and warm moist sub-tropical air rising up from direction of the Bahamas.

The first of these lows is currently deepening to the SW of Ireland, centred around 48 N' 20 W' as of 0900hrs, and is expected to be steered northeast by the strong upper flow across southern Ireland Wednesday morning and northern England tomorrow afternoon/evening. The low will see its deepest phase tonight to the SW of Ireland, falling to around 942mb, before it fills as it crosses the British Isles. This deep low is expected to develop very large wave heights in the SW approaches, with Cornwall, S/W Wales and S Ireland probably seeing the largest waves in the world tomorrow looking at significant wave height forecasts, so coastal flooding may again be an issue at high tide. Winds are likely gale or severe gale force, initially with passage of the frontal system moving through tonight and Wednesday morning ahead of the low pressure system and then on the southern and southeastern flank of the low moving NE across the UK, the strongest winds are likely to be across Wales, southwest and southern England - where we are likely to see gusts of 60mph inland, perhaps 70mph along coasts and maybe a few 80mph gusts across the far southwest. A band of persistent rain moving through overnight/Weds morning and bands of showers following will likely bring up to 20-30mm in places, perhaps up to 40mm over higher ground - so exacerbating already high river levels.

The second low arriving from the southwest early on Friday looks to be slightly shallower feature compared to tomorrow's low by the time the centre crosses southern England, with the strongest winds on its southern flank reserved for northern France. However, as it develops further south over the Atlantic compared to tomorrow's low, it will likely have greater warmth/moisture content wrapped up in its circulation, so heavy rain will be more of an issue than the winds late Thursday and through Friday as this system and its wrap-around fronts move northeast across England and Wales. There is still some uncertainty over the exact track of this low, but it could bring another 20-30mm of rain across southern Britain before the low and its fronts clears later on Friday - so more bad news for the flooding situation.

The Third low arriving this Saturday follows a very similar track to tomorrow's low, the frontal system arriving ahead of the low sweeps rain and gales northeast Friday night, then the strongest winds arrive beneath the core of the low as it passes NE across northern Britain during Saturday, southern Britain bearing the brunt of the strongest winds, with gusts of 70-80mph indicated around southern and western coasts of England and Wales. The rain followed by frequent showers over the weekend bring even more high rainfall totals.

Further lows looks to follow across the UK early next week looking at model output, so a concerning situation for the ongoing flooding issues.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5661;sess=

• Like 3

Posted

Urgh... Thats some read. So the chances of me being able to get up on my 2 story high flat roof this weekend to finally fix that leak again look slim to none. Weekend just gone was perfect weather for it and sods law I was away. I'll try again in June Posted Image

Posted

Technically landing is the most dangerous part of the flight.....during take off the plane flies at almost full power whereas during the final approach it flies with a very small amount of power thus the plane is more vulnerable to external forces such as storms or winds etc. 

Statistically most crashes occur during the first 3 and last 8 minutes of the flight, most of them during landing which is basically a controlled crash so actually it's the landing you should be worried about....hope this helps Posted Image

Doesn't help me, I generally find flying just very boring, but have developed a minor phobia about landing... will pretend I never read your stuff, lah, lah, lah, fingers in ears, eyes covered with hand!

Blue skies, plenty of clouds, odd shower here.

• Like 2

Posted

Russia Heavy snow and crazy driving atm http://live.saimanet.kg/ru/cams/2#.UvCGM9J_uSr

Bout 6 hours early they had cleaned the snow from the statue to the road :)

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Brrr the wind has turned into a cold wind now, from the south I think. It did seem like a mild temp of wind earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

There's a positive Armada of clouds banking up S/SW here. Me thinks it must be the incoming storms vanguard. :O Bang goes the nice sunny day and blue sky then.

Posted

Doesn't help me, I generally find flying just very boring, but have developed a minor phobia about landing... will pretend I never read your stuff, lah, lah, lah, fingers in ears, eyes covered with hand!

Posted Image  sorry x

just sit at the back you will be fine (planes never reverse into mountains) or better still find out which seat the black box is under, if that's the only bit they expect to get back sitting on it has to increase your chances of survival  Posted Image

sunny spells here again this afternoon, it's actually been a nice day and felt almost spring like, but look at this heading our way....

post-10773-0-73155500-1391524076_thumb.p

Satellite image of the cloud associated with the low pressure system set to influence our weather over the next few days bringing wind, rain and the risk of coastal flooding to many areas.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Has anyone seen Robin (Coast) today?

I was hoping for some of his wind charts to show the way??

Also re the Black Box comment.....They always survive intact right? So why dont they make a whole plane out of the same material? Simples.....

Edited by lloydyd
  • Like 3

Posted

Unless they are nuts I think it will be rearranged, I'm sure there must be some health and safety laws that say you can't work on roofs in winds above *blank*. Don't know what the speed might be.

Yes, I am in agreement.

I wouldn't mind but they turned up unannounced yesterday when I wasn't well and because I didn't open the door quick enough they went away. Not at all impressed with this shower of *****.

(See how I bought that on topic Posted Image )

Not looking forward to these next few days. Supposed to be out to visit my mum in the home on Friday. Not a nice journey in bad weather Posted Image

Posted

Has anyone seen Robin (Coast) today?

I was hoping for some of his wind charts to show the way??

Also re the Black Box comment.....They always survive intact right? So why dont they make a whole plane out of the same material? Simples.....

There's a thread dedicated to the up coming low pressure systems here lloydyd:  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79252-atlantic-storms-february-2014/page-12#entry2917227

Plenty of wind chart's there and some good posts from those who can interpret and understand them!

Edited by snow raven
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

There's a thread dedicated to the up coming low pressure systems here lloydyd:  http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79252-atlantic-storms-february-2014/page-12#entry2917227

Plenty of wind chart's there and some good posts from those who can interpret and understand them!

Thanks SR. I have seen that, It was more a musing of where Robin is as i dont recall seeing him today. Guessing he is busy trying to land his big contract....

Lloyd X

Posted

Thanks SR. I have seen that, It was more a musing of where Robin is as i dont recall seeing him today. Guessing he is busy trying to land his big contract....

Lloyd X

I think he may have gone away somewhere if his last status update is anything to go by... 

Posted

question out there for all travellers. on southeast trains....

Why are they the only company that has a speed restriction on this evening frustration beyond belief