Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

but didnt you know MK??? people living in endless days of warm sunny climes, ... come to the UK for a break  Posted Image

Must be what this cat did then.....though why Aberdeenshire ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-25977638

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well there is only one thing for it on an evening like this. Stick the heating on, curl up with something terribly comforting and calorie laden and then snuggle up in bed listening to the rain on the window.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Anyone got any ideas when this rain will pass by Brighton, or is it going to last all night?

Going to be working on a car tonight for few hours, most of which will be in a barn out the rain but will need to do one of the jobs outside so hoping rain will ease off at somepoint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

What an awful drive home, heavy rain, puddles and streams on the roads. Sums up this winter really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I have got the lurgy now. Throat hurts, eyes are streaming and me nose and lugs itch. Ugh! :(

Still peeing down in Ippy and very windy. I am going to curl up with a punet of blueberries and some Greek yoghurt (with a sprinkling of sugar) later and copious amounts of tea. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well there is only one thing for it on an evening like this. Stick the heating on, curl up with something terribly comforting and calorie laden and then snuggle up in bed listening to the rain on the window.

OH you saw my plan for this evening too then? :lol:

I have biscuits and a four pack set aside for my evening (finish book later in bed, only one chapter left and I know the cat dies so will be an emotional end to a good read)

I did toy with a take-a-way burger and chips but the weather out is too pants to warrant the walk and I am too tight to pay the delivery fee.

Did venture out (about 5 foot) to the bin to put out another bag of rubbish and it is wet and wild out there (in my yoof that would have been a wicked weekend, but that is another story).

I have got the lurgy now. Throat hurts, eyes are streaming and me nose and lugs itch. Ugh! Posted Image

Still peeing down in Ippy and very windy. I am going to curl up with a punet of blueberries and some Greek yoghurt (with a sprinkling of sugar) later and copious amounts of tea. Posted Image

oooh tea (anyone that knows me we testify I love tea and drink way too much of it most likely)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Just had a look at the NOAA site and the forecast for 3rd Feb ( Monday). Apparently we're in for a gale but don't worry because there's another big low running in behind that one still mid Atlantic on Monday.

No surprise there then. Of course there is also the low off to the North East of UK as well so 3 in all.

Be interesting to hear what JP makes of all this later and where they all end up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

I am NOT going outside my front door all weekend now,i shall remain on the inside looking out with the heating cranked to 11!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My tip is either move here (Jewel Lake, BC, Canada). It's -6ºC. Sunny, beautiful, snowy. And in summer it's usually hot without being humid.

I'm going... if my husband won't move, I'll divorce him and buy a little log cabin and live happily ever after. Actually he's coming round to my way of thinking himself so the divorce might not be necessary.

Posted Image

2). Or buy a waffle iron. We got one via Amazon on Saturday and have been having waffles with ice cream and maple syrup; waffles with bacon, eggs and tomatoes; waffles with baked beans... you get the picture... and just when I'd got down to a size 10 again. Oh dear.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thank you Tamarina, for those kind words.

I've got to say your posting on various threads, has been one of the highlights of the Winter (just pop a cheque in the post!Posted Image), even if the weather itself, hasnt!

What my fellow members wont realise is that news of Tamara's excellent and delightful use of the English language has resulted in high praise indeed, in literary circles. This only last week from The Hastings Herald (Book Review Section) :

On a bookshelf near you, comes the latest stupendous masterpiece of brobdingnagian proportions, from Yorkshire wordsmith, Tamara Bronte."Withering Heights" recounts the last days and destruction of the evil Baron Polar Vortex, who wreaks havoc and terror on the good citizens of Miss Brontes adopted home county of Sussex, only to meet a just and righteous fate, himself.

This from another popular and  well-balanced tabloid -  "Another winner from the keyboard of Miss Bronte, vividly bringing to life the inevitable "Day After Tomorrow" scenario as the U.K. is frozen Narnia-like, one February - (Daily Express Literary Review)

This  also - "A forrowlly good read I'd recommend, I couldnt put it down meself and forgot I was running me barf water and suffered dire consekwences, cos me 'ouse is flooded out now, ain I silly!" - (Janet Street-Porter, Evening Standard).

Apologies to Iceni of course, who no doubt sounds nothing like Miss Street-Porter.

Tamara is of course hastily writing a sequel, where the evil Baron Polar Vortex manages to survive against all odds! Posted Image 

Only joking Tams, as you know I've known your thoughts on Winter as far back as the Autumn and although you were hopeful of a SSW, leading to some HLB and something more wintry in February, you always added caveats to that scenario, in those well reasoned posts of yours. Looks like the first half of February has nothing to offer but who knows what the second half may bring?

Just to add, Tamara (ak to me as Mary Shelley) also has a terrific sense of humour........I think, you do Tams, dont you? Posted Image 

Where's that lawyer fella again, when you need him, Martyn/AS help!

Yours pleadingly,
Tomasino.
Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 7

Posted

I have biscuits and a four pack set aside for my evening (finish book later in bed, only one chapter left and I know the cat dies so will be an emotional end to a good read)

You're not reading the Antarctic diary of Mr Chippy, are you?

• Like 3

Posted

Right I'm off before Tams and the Sussex Inquisition get back, after dinner!

Tom.

Posted

Evening Ali,

Just wanted to pop a post up again about Ian Currie, who we may be getting to perform a couple of weather-related talks for Regional Members, a few months down the line. First a bit of info. on Mr.Currie.

"Dont know how many of you have read some of Ian Currie's books, or indeed some of you may have heard him on Radio London and LBC, where he had a weekly weather forecasting slot, for a while, some years ago. You may well have heard his Radio 4 programme, based on his book Frost, Freezes and Fairs or seen him forecasting on Cable TV.

Many of you may well have read the excellent series of County Weather books, based on major weather events in Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, etc, which Ian Currie was the co-author of.
I contacted him with the view of attending some of his weather related talks, as he is involved in the Meteorological branch of the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society. Also I wanted to try and get a couple of copies of those County Weather books, as they are mostly out of print now."

And now the post from a few days ago, after Tamara and myself met Ian Currie, last week.

" We met him again on Thursday and have a few locations in mind that hopefully will be convenient for quite a few members to attend. We suggested to Ian that it would be preferable to hold 2 talks, one north of the Thames and one south of the river, to give members the oppurtunity to get to either one, as the region is so large. Locations north of the Thames, probably just north of London, Herts/Essex border say and the southern talk somewhere like Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells f.e. We'd probably be looking at late Spring/early Summer now, as he has talks already arranged for the early part of Spring.

If any members would be interested in coming along to these talks, given the locations and timescale mentioned, could you please P.M. me, to let me know. Obviously Mr.Currie would like to have an idea of numbers involved, once we have an idea then we can be more specific about location and dates of these talks."

Regards,
Tom. 

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 5

Posted

hi tom

are you still working in croydon?

Hi John,

Yes I'm still working in Croydon but I'm home in Chislehurst tonight.

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted

hi bjaykent

yep i agree with you on that

hi tom

just wondered if you was at work when the squall went through the other day

also i am still up for that snowball fight we was going to have at some stage

i hope Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

hi bjaykent

yep i agree with you on that

hi tom of lightning

just wondered if you was at work when the squall went through the other day

also i am still up for that snowball fight we was going to have at some stage

i hope Posted Image

Hi John,

I'd just left work when it started to hit, at its worst around Shirley, saw a couple of intense pink flashes of lightning, when all hell broke loose!

The journey home tonight was pretty horrendous too, cant remember too many times when I've seen so much surface water on the roads, loads of it between Addington and Chislehurst. Anyway had some lovely fish n' chips from a shop in Petts Wood, which I'm sure Jan must know..

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 1