Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Why oh why can't newspapers be prosecuted for this. It's complete trash and deliberately targets the most vulnerable to make them worry. I seriously hate this country sometimes.

well if we weren't allowed an opinion. (as you've just made one; and i too) then we wouldn't be the free country we are  :D

back to the weather me thinks.... dropped another degree here. all the rain today has dried up on the pavements pretty much now. but can still imagine a frost on the ground if it keeps dropping overnight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

so better not but its upper scaremongering tripe

Haha! Are you having 'T' problems again Mr P !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Haha! Are you having 'T' problems again Mr P !

I've just made my Mr P one !
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

are you feeding him? we have plenty of foxes here. they dont seem to be bothered about mr dog barking at them. in fact they seem to be teasing him sometimes. "come and get me if you can :p "

theres so much waste food thrown away that the urban foxes round this way look better fed then some cats.

i wonder if this winter has made a difference to wildlife. must be plenty of food about most winters. but with the lack of frosts and snow i imagine theres more food to go around Posted Image  Posted Image

I had put out a bit of bread and butter for Foxie, she's been visiting our garden for four years now, since a cub. But she wasn't around, so badger popped in and took the bread. Don't see him often. Was a few badger cubs a few years back. So cute,,but just the one big one visits now, every few months. Foxie visits most evenings, she's beautiful with big bushy tail, and good fur,,no mange. Have watched the foxies pounce on mice here, and we had awful problem with them in attic, so good to have the foxes helping keep population down!

Funny, never seen a badger or fox or squirrel until I had moved to London from Wales!!

Fairly chilly now, just opened door to check. Fine drizzle in air with the fog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

You know what. I'm leaving (being made redundant) my job tomorrow after 13 years service, which is more than a third of my life.... I start my new one on Monday, but feel really sad about saying goodbye tomorrow. BTW it's still not raining to keep on topic.

• Like 5

Posted

Oh God - My facebook is full of people worrying over tomorrow/Saturdays winds -.- Everyone is sharing a page from the express saying there is going to be 150mph winds. So misleading.

Hi Ryan,

I agree, 150mph is over the top.

In my view, very high energy will increase the storm's intensity where wind gusts in the exposed areas will reach 70 - 90 mph Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

You know what. I'm leaving (being made redundant) my job tomorrow after 13 years service, which is more than a third of my life.... I start my new one on Monday, but feel really sad about saying goodbye tomorrow. BTW it's still not raining to keep on topic.

The sadness of saying goodbye will be at the forefront, but sometimes our paths are foreseen and what is in our futures may give us the impetus to move forward and never look back, adventures anew, grab with both hands and embrace it :-)
  • Like 2

Posted

heres the fax charts for 96 and 120

Posted Image

Posted Image

odd charts so will hold for now

96 shows dry

120 has gusty south west winds

but under 528 air so will be a cold one

looks like some heavy rain due to visit later on that

i am calling fi here for now

need to see if the charts are coping with that block or not

thats my lot for tonight

goodnight all Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Cold and a little misty here.

Thankfully OH is going for a tattoo in the morning so I will get the shopping done and home early. Any idea what sort of mm precip we are expecting in this area?

As always thank you to JP for his updates Posted Image

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Got my eyes going funny lol

Looks nasty. I guess more flooding is on the cards.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Disruptive

Why oh why can't newspapers be prosecuted for this. It's complete trash and deliberately targets the most vulnerable to make them worry. I seriously hate this country sometimes.

Because they don't mention an Individual and when they state something it is something already mentioned by the Met Office

They state it may be happening and it makes people read it.

How many people on here have read the link to the paper and how many will pick up the paper tomorrow, buy it and read about it

What do people want to read about? Impending doom or a zz-list pop star being accused of something?

Could be worse, it could have headlines of impending 50 foot snow drifts!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/456975/Storm-Brigid-rages-towards-Britain-bringing-150MPH-KILLER-winds-heavy-rain-and-SNOW

oh wow i just looked for it, i hadn't seen it.I am well scared now, after all this is the SECOND apocalypse we've had in the past fortnight.

Ooohh nooooo - don;t get me going - the piggies do not have enough nuclear suits

And I'm being banned from posting the proverbial  image

Posted Image

xxxx

Edit:  success!

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 7

Posted

Upper Medway catchment was put on flood alert tuesday. We are expecting this to be upgraded as the rain moves though tomorrow.

Local Parish Council have finally seen sense and cancelled the open air market this saturday.....have you ever seen a cheap gazebo fight a 50mph gust?????JP - thanx as ever.....I think, given recent obs these last three months, that our little "apparently shielded" catchment area for the stream will be OK this weekend...if a bit worrying at times.Here's hopingxxxx 

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 1

Posted

LOL - Think this sums the weather up atm - no offence JP as you ARE the weather god on  here......but just seemed rather appropriate to post for a bit of light relief......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfH-u1rtmc'Scuse any adverts at the beginning

xxx

Edit: - who volunteers to post this on the MAD thread???? (PP ducks for cover)

Edited by PiggiePalace

Posted

Posted Image

for us it looks lively

see the 2 fronts

the first one is a warm front

followed very quickly but a cold front

now looking at this it looks to miss us here

the thing that is being watched is a potential gust front

i do not personally see this effecting us here

but if it does it may replay the gust front from the other day

you will only see 150 mph winds from a tornado not from these charts

Estofex Level one for tomorrow.... potential LEWP... Whatever that is Posted Image

Posted Image estofex_20140130.png

Storm Forecast

Valid: Fri 31 Jan 2014 06:00 to Sat 01 Feb 2014 06:00 UTC

Issued: Thu 30 Jan 2014 19:46

Forecaster: TUSCHY

A level 1 was issued for N-France and S-UK mainly for severe wind gusts and an isolated tornado event.

... N-France and UK ...

Aforementioned depression approaches the area in a well occluded stage with ongoing separation of eastbound racing surface fronts and incoming high-level tropospheric/lower stratospheric air. So not much concern exists with fronts, which cross the area during the daytime hours from W to E. During the night hours, a strong impulse at 500 hPa circles the sub-940hPa depression and approaches W-UK until 00Z from the W/SW. This feature takes profit of access to the tropopause fold with a pool of drier high-level air approaching and probably crossing the cold front over UK. Further south, over N-France, forcing will be weaker and mid-levels quite warm, but better influx of modified subtropical air also increases concerns in weak MUCAPE build-up along the cold front.

No surprise, shear will be intense, so forcing and CAPE will be the parameters which dictate how organized (in respect of convection) the cold front might be.

Current thoughts are that the southern part of the front probably outruns dynamics but remains in a favourable shear environment. Organized narrow cold-frontal rain band structure or even an LEWP structure crosses N-France from W to E at 00Z onwards. Depending on how structured this front will be, strong to severe wind gusts and an isolated tornado event can occur. With departing forcing, a break-up of that front is expected betimes with ongoing but more isolated severe risk in the eastern part of the level area. Of interest is also rapid weakening of LL directional shear along the front over N-CNTRL France during the end of the forecast as frontolysis begins.

S-UK has better forcing and meager BL moisture could be offset (at least partially) by dry slot/front interaction. Despite missing support of models, the concern of a LEWP-ish line exists, which races east. Intense shear at LL once again indicates an isolated tornado and severe wind gust risk. Also width of the warm sector (if not already occluded) dictates the potential severe risk and if some prefrontal backing of the LL wind field can occur.

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning everyone, hope you are all fit and well. Getting a bit cheesed of writing that it damp, dank, .dark, dreary, depressing in dirty Dartford, but it is again today.

The gas man cometh today, so got an all day POETS day, unless I have to pop to Harlow this afternoon, our top oven has packed up working, really annoying as the gas man will come, say he can't fix it, say I will need a new PCB, which isn't in stock and he will be back in 6 weeks to fit it. The oven is a bit of an unusual beast as its a fan assisted gas oven, all the engineers love playing with it, but it don't help us to get it repaired.

Bank manager meeting was a bit of success seem to to got the support we wanted, but awaiting written confirmation, when we presented the future work potential for the next couple of years, his mouth dropped and he was speechless, it was nice to see, he appeared to be impressed with what we got on the books, so hopefully all will be ok. Had to laugh whilst we where in the meeting an email arrived on my machine upstairs, inviting us to attend a final tender meeting for a project valued at just under a million, I only had this one down as a possibility, be our first export project, well its in wales! On the way had a phone call and one of my bigger projects over £3million has got board approval, just got to finalise specifications etc., and that order should be ours end of march, just got to worry how the hell we are going to do it all. Now got to start making decisions that will determine our future, let's hope we get it right, very exciting, but also worrying times. Took on a further engineer yesterday, our most northern one to date, Huddersfield, pleased as he was unemployed, seems a nice lad.

Also on Thursday we are interviewing a 27 year old apprentice, ex army, really impressed as he is paying for himself to go college, that's shows interest, he's got no practical knowledge, so its a risk, but we need a pair of hands occasionally, so I think that will be his job initially, painting, taking readings, etc., unfortunately for him we are going to put him under the instruction of our most talented and senior engineer, whose brilliant and I would trust anything he would say, but he is just a miserable moany old git, hope it works out for the young lad, if it does and he can put up with the continual whinging, he will have the greatest opportunity to learn that is possible to get.

Looking forward to a weekend away, should be good, at a beautiful old manor house, being spoilt, can it be better, shame about the weather, but hey ho, I can't do anything about that, so here's to some, good beer, a few glasses of wine, so great food, and perhaps a message, its a hard life, but someone's got to do it.

Have a great POETS day, and most importantly enjoy yourselves.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 6

Posted

Morning everyone, hope you are all fit and well. Getting a bit cheesed of writing that it damp, dank, .dark, dreary, depressing in dirty Dartford, but it is again today.The gas man cometh today, so got an all day POETS day, unless I have to pop to Harlow this afternoon, our top oven has packed up working, really annoying as the gas man will come, say he can't fix it, say I will need a new PCB, which isn't in stock and he will be back in 6 weeks to fit it. The oven is a bit of an unusual beast as its a fan assisted gas oven, all the engineers love playing with it, but it don't help us to get it repaired.Bank manager meeting was a bit of success seem to to got the support we wanted, but awaiting written confirmation, when we presented the future work potential for the next couple of years, his mouth dropped and he was speechless, it was nice to see, he appeared to be impressed with what we got on the books, so hopefully all will be ok. Had to laugh whilst we where in the meeting an email arrived on my machine upstairs, inviting us to attend a final tender meeting for a project valued at just under a million, I only had this one down as a possibility, be our first export project, well its in wales! On the way had a phone call and one of my bigger projects over £3million has got board approval, just got to finalise specifications etc., and that order should be ours end of march, just got to worry how the hell we are going to do it all. Now got to start making decisions that will determine our future, let's hope we get it right, very exciting, but also worrying times. Took on a further engineer yesterday, our most northern one to date, Huddersfield, pleased as he was unemployed, seems a nice lad.Also on Thursday we are considering we are interviewing a 27 year old apprentice, ex army, really impressed as he is paying for himself to go college, that's shows interest, he's got no practical knowledge, so its a risk, but we need a pair of hands occasionally, so I think that will be his job initially, painting, taking readings, etc., unfortunately for him we are going to put him under the instruction of our most talented and senior engineer, whose brilliant and I would trust anything he would say, but he is just a miserable moany old git, hope it works out for the young lad, if it does and he can put up with the continual whinging, he will have the greatest opportunity to learn that is possible to get.Looking forward to a weekend away, should be good, at a beautiful old manor house, being spoilt, can it be better, shame about the weather, but hey ho, I can't do anything about that, so here's to some, good beer, a few glasses of wine, so great food, and perhaps a message, its a hard life, but someone's got to do it.Have a great POETS day, and most importantly enjoy yourselves.

Its good that things are picking up, I am now getting jobs come through from the agency's on a daily basis which offers hope of getting one closer to home,its not easy finding a job similar to what I had been doing for 13 years and only 20 mins drive away (plus well paid),so for now will continue with the 120 mile a day drive and £10000 drop in wages.Its what happens when you worked for the biggest employer in east Kent and they decide to pull out of its uk main research and manufacturing site.There was such a good skilled work force within the engineering side which had been hand picked the best people from the area.Very sad.Weather related.... my drive in this morning was the first dry one for ages with gritters out doing the M2.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Because they don't mention an Individual and when they state something it is something already mentioned by the Met Office

They state it may be happening and it makes people read it.

How many people on here have read the link to the paper and how many will pick up the paper tomorrow, buy it and read about it

What do people want to read about? Impending doom or a zz-list pop star being accused of something?

Could be worse, it could have headlines of impending 50 foot snow drifts!!!!

I don't really want to read about either to be honest.

• Like 1