Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

The Met office now have a red wind warning up for North and West Wales and parts of Lancashire. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200

Stay safe everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not often you see a red warning in force, Serious stuff guys!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

wow red warnings out for West Wales and North West England

Edited by Boro Snow

Crikey, a red warning, you don't see them often. Looks like the storm is deeper than some models have forecast. 960mb at 6am and should be getting deeper

Posted Image

Here the winds are picking up with some big gusts buffeting the house, absolutely torrential rain at times too. Very nasty out there.

• Like 2

Posted

Sting jet material? Reports are going to be interesting later.

I'm not sure if you asking what a sting jet is but I'll post this here incase others might want to know :) .

The Sting Jet

Posted

Not strictly true Aggy in relation to wind strengths on the shipping forecast is showing hurricane force 12

As I said hurricane force CAN be used
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Porthleven's harbour master, says winds on the Cornish coast are "lifting the backs of the cars nearly".

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm not sure if you asking what a sting jet is but I'll post this here incase others might want to know :)The Sting Jet

Good link for those who want to learn about one.I'm wondering whether the red warning is due to anticipating a sting jet?Evening rush hour worries me, for those further north.. Bad timing indeed. :mellow:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Porthleven's harbour master, says winds on the Cornish coast are "lifting the backs of the cars nearly".

Blimey....I know Porthleven quite well and I'm staying just up the road from there next week...hopefully it won't be as stormy then!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Looking very windy here:

http://www.exmouthcam.co.uk/webcam/

Although, its pretty damn gusty here already

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Wind just started gusting at 70-73 mph had a very intense 2-3 min, is slackened off a bit now to 60-65mph.

Its brightening up considerably as the rain looks to have passed overhead, in fact the sun is almost breaking through.

Suggestions on TWO that a sting jet could be developing is this is the reason for the red warning, see this water vapour satellite image for 9am

Posted Image

"The dark stripe on the WV image spiralling into the low centre is very dry air rapidly descending, and a signature of a sting-jet situation. Hence the highest warning level.
It should be noted that should upper winds push down to sea level, the location may not be as forecast and anywhere from NW England to the S Midlands are at risk IMO.
"

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Glad that the red warnings are finally out, hopefully the media will give this the attention that it deserves. I only worry that many people will be at work now and are not aware of the severity. Better late than never, though.

Stay safe everyone!

Posted

Suggestions on TWO that a sting jet could be developing is this is the reason for the red warning, see this water vapour satellite image for 9am

Posted Image

"The dark stripe on the WV image spiralling into the low centre is very dry air rapidly descending, and a signature of a sting-jet situation. Hence the highest warning level.

It should be noted that should upper winds push down to sea level, the location may not be as forecast and anywhere from NW England to the S Midlands are at risk IMO."

Humm so my thinking was right sting jets can happen multiple times within one storm depression, I seen this image here and I'm now watching sat24.com and it seems to be building up another.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Red alert for severe winds in western parts of Wales and some northwestern parts of England

Issued at: 1027 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid from: 1330 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2100 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

During this afternoon a swathe of exceptionally strong winds is expected to affect western parts of Wales and then some northwestern parts of England this evening, particularly in coastal areas. Winds are expected to gust 80 mph widely and possibly reach 100 mph in the most exposed locations in west and northwest Wales. Winds of this strength can cause widespread structural damage, bringing down trees and also leading to loss of power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. The public should take action to alter their travel arrangements during this spell of storm force winds.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across Ireland and southern Scotland this afternoon and evening. Damaging winds are likely to develop along the southern flank of this area of low pressure, especially in coastal locations. Coastal areas of west Wales and northwest England are likely to bear the brunt as southwesterly (later westerly) winds widely gust to 80 mph and possibly 100 mph in the most exposed locations. The core of strongest winds will then affect parts of the coast of north Wales and northwest England early evening with peak gusts of 85 mph.

Areas affected

Ceredigion, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Pembrokeshire, Conwy, Powys

Blackpool, Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=nw&fcTime=1392163200

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=nw&fcTime=1392163200

• Like 1