Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

No it wouldn't be given hurricane or cyclone status because of where we are positioned and they systems are generally generated over tropical waters however it dosent mean that the terms hurricane force can't be used

thanks for that read talk there needs another category for these violent storms. I tried warn family tell them what to do but what scaring me the most how the system not get respect it needs.

I fear ignorence and our britishness ah wont be bad. With the media starting wake up give storm respect people going end up panicking.

wind increasing on East coast here slightly

Edited by vladthemert
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

poetry in motion watching it develop as it closes in on the west coast of ireland

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Darren Bett just backed up what carol kirkwood said earlier on news 24 things looking better next week thank god. Hopefully the south night get to dry out and pump some of that water away. At last we're hearing better news from the met. Just get today and Friday out the way first. Stay safe guys.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: exciting

You've not had any rain yet?It's been raining in Bristol for around the most part of the last 2 hours. Heavy at times.

. Only a few spots up to now,but it has started raining now
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Wind here gusting 60-64 mph from s/ssw. Been pretty consistent for the last hour or so. Main band of rain seems to have passed now with showers more the order of things.

I ll be very surprised if my shed roof makes it through today, how its lasted this long is a mystery to me.

I plan to make it through the day by chain smoking and drinking tea and i do have a lovely single malt which may get cracked open if it all gets too much, purely for medicinal purposes of course.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The winds are just getting up here, not sure where to go this afternoon?!

I see the MO have extended some of the warnings too? That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Posted

The winds are just getting up here, not sure where to go this afternoon?!I see the MO have extended some of the warnings too? That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Portland ! That should be a fun place today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Strongest wind been pushed back from West Yorkshire into the evening (9pm onwards). Although still expecting 40mph-50mph gusts at around rush hour.

Posted

Given topography factors i'm expecting my location to see something in the order of 70mph, substantial of course, but coastal area's will be the one to watch for today unless the low's center shifts any eastwards.

Posted

Portland ! That should be a fun place today.

I'm likely to get cut off there, and left behind with all the rabbits! :lol:It's a 30 mile drive too.I could just ride my bike 4 miles and get on top of the Purbeck hills. :D Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

ESTOFEX has a level1 warning out for much of the UK

http://www.estofex.org/

... southern Ireland, Wales, England ...Yet another deep low pressure system is expected to affect the area. In the dry intrusion, behind the main stratiform rain shield, intense pressure gradient is simulated with 40 m/s windspeeds at 850 hPa level just south of the low center. Both ECMWF and GFS hint on some marginal instability build up in this zone. Intense forcing could support a strongly forced convective line, where convection (downdrafts) would contribute to the strength of the wind gusts, which should be already very strong (coastal areas over 130 km/h) due to the background situation. Level 1 seems to be warranted for this questionable setup for severe wind gusts. Tornadoes are not ruled out either, given the intense low level shear, though they might depend strongly on the convective mode (isolated cell vs convective line). Greatest threat should exist between 12 - 15 UTC.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Extended Wind warnings now stretching across all southern counties up to SE London,Are they expecting a sting jet or vicious squall line running east with the fronts sitting out west just now? The track of the storm hasnt changed so i wonder if this eastward extension to warnings is front related....

Posted

No it wouldn't be given hurricane or cyclone status because of where we are positioned and they systems are generally generated over tropical waters however it dosent mean that the terms hurricane force can't be used

Not strictly true Aggy in relation to wind strengths on the shipping forecast is showing hurricane force 12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The Met office now have a red wind warning up for North and West Wales and parts of Lancashire. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200

• Like 3

Posted

The red warnings are out

Amber has been extended inland, with the red slap-bang across Anglesey and the Morecambe estuary.

• Like 1

Posted

I just went for a smoke in the garden, I noticed that the winds feel stronger at the surface than recent storms, a fence panel has already blown out and it's only just the beginning. Be prepared for a lot of damage and disruption from this one, folks need to take care.

• Like 1

Posted

Interestingly on the MetO mountain area for the Peak District the forecast for today is 'Gusts 80 to 90 mph are likely later in the afternoon and evening over exposed ridges.'

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html