Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

Talking of the off the scale black - look at the 925hPa wind speeds. Is there a chance of these gusts being brought down to the surface?

Posted Image

Yes, if a sting-jet was to develop which is possible during such rapid developments, although likely to occur in the southwest as the low is still rapidly deepening here.

These winds could reach the surface in such conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

The Met Office wind map doesn't show anything more than 65mph gusts on the exposed southwest coastline, possibly still a lot of uncertainty on the intensity?

I notice the MetO haven't updated their warnings today (they are very late doing so) and yesterday's warning referred to considerable uncertainty on the intensity - it will be interesting to see what today's warning says.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Here's the GFS and NMM 18KM gust charts, quite an intense period of winds showing up..

post-15177-0-99130400-1392033837_thumb.ppost-15177-0-77175400-1392033846_thumb.ppost-15177-0-81034200-1392033856_thumb.ppost-15177-0-82687900-1392033865_thumb.p

post-15177-0-61072700-1392033877_thumb.ppost-15177-0-24298200-1392033887_thumb.ppost-15177-0-62762700-1392033898_thumb.ppost-15177-0-30336900-1392033908_thumb.p

All the main models show it developing quite nicely..

JMA:

post-15177-0-17796400-1392034063_thumb.gpost-15177-0-26684800-1392034083_thumb.g

ECM:

post-15177-0-43746100-1392034147_thumb.gpost-15177-0-34414300-1392034156_thumb.g

UKMO:

post-15177-0-51435300-1392034180_thumb.gpost-15177-0-26767100-1392034191_thumb.g

GEM:

post-15177-0-19537700-1392034213_thumb.gpost-15177-0-63562300-1392034223_thumb.g

GFS:

post-15177-0-50821800-1392034239_thumb.gpost-15177-0-52957400-1392034250_thumb.g

The MetOffice will have their own blend but there does seem a pretty good consensus for a period of very strong winds, possibly damaging.

I would expect warnings to appear today unless there's something we're missing, or they are awaiting one more run to get the track and intensity nailed before doing so. The 12Z later should be interesting, like Sainsbo said, there has been a fair few upgrades.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I am concerned!  Basically the whole southwest peninsula/south coast having 80+mph gust....This has Burns Day storm written all over it! 

I posted a few days ago that the month of February 1990 was a windy month and it ended with the Burns Day Storm on the 26/27/28 of February 1990 even Exeter got 85mph gusts....Well it's been pretty windy for a few months now on and  off, this was just waiting to happen....The Great Storm of 1987 was not as severe in the south west as the Burns Day Storm was in 1990

It's all about patterns I guess sometimes.....

• Like 2

Posted

The Met Office wind map doesn't show anything more than 65mph gusts on the exposed southwest coastline, possibly still a lot of uncertainty on the intensity?

The 06Z Hirlam has near 65mph as the sustained wind speed - track further north than GFS.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Personally I don't think we need to be second guessing what the UKMO will actually do with the warnings but I'd imagine the focus will ultimately be on the rain, yes the winds could potentially get very strong and then there would be another warning to confirm this within say 24 to 36 hours of the event IMHO, if they believe it to be necessary. We are currently under assault from Mother nature down in the South and that is most likely why the winds aren't getting the attention required just yet. My advice as always would be to inform your friends and relatives to simply be aware of the potential. Another week of weather drama ahead and so many depressions to contend with, it is crazy for anyone that ultimately has the responsibility to inform those of us unaware of current developments.

• Like 3

Posted

i was thinking that, late in updating the warnings. They will come and the matrix will be interesting

Posted

bang and the first one has landed warning rain

Posted Image

You are subscribed to London & South East England for Met Office.

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England : Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham valid from 1500 Fri 14 Feb to 2345 Fri 14 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The way things are looking, St Jude could well be a teddy bear compared to what we could be seeing Wednesday. Think the media should be getting a move on in alerting joe public about this one tbh.

bang and the first one has landed warning rain

Posted Image

You are subscribed to London & South East England for Met Office.

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England : Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham valid from 1500 Fri 14 Feb to 2345 Fri 14 Feb

The way things are looking, St Jude could well be a teddy bear compared to what we could be seeing Wednesday. Think the media should be getting a move on in alerting joe public about this one tbh.

Thing is... Us in this forum could do a better job than them at forecasting it.. that's what annoys me..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nothing else to be said, really.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alerts;reg=7;sess=f2f95321e0ccfe9902bc95a7ff6ded62

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Thing is... Us in this forum could do a better job than them at forecasting it.. that's what annoys me..

Is that a serious comment or simply looking for a wind up?

• Like 3

Posted

Too right we could! We should be putting them out of a job really lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I think wind warnings will possibly get added over the next few hours ,there is a lot of severe weather too come ,so today the basic stuff then tomorrow any upgrades or downgrades .Late fridays system could go several ways synoptically as its 4 days away ,but if all the right things come together COULD be the bad boy of this winters nightmare ,along with this wednesdays .Met office doing a grand job in a sciense that is so complex ,cheers all .Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Too right we could! We should be putting them out of a job really lol

nd another one-with a deep understanding of meteorology

one does have to admire the confidence in themselves of our younger members.

John, this was aimed at the Telegraph Posted Image

my apologies

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Not really, I'm shure they have more information then we have with these coming lows.

Posted

nd another one-with a deep understanding of meteorologyone does have to admire the confidence in themselves of our younger members. my apologies

Thing is, I think we do know a lot more than the media about meteorology! For a start they think there's such thing as a mini tornado! Fail...
  • Like 1

Posted

I apologise again if it is directed at the media, my old eyes misreading what you two posted about-apologies

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Wind could really be a feature, looking at some of the charts.

Obviously the flooding issue is the big issue

Once that wind gusts above 50mph, we move into the 'damage' threshold

I personally rate it something like:

50-70mph gusts - damage possible, slight (mostly)

70mph+ - more significant damage.. the higher the gusts, the more likely

Factor in, that recent storms / very high tides, may have weakened structures

I'm paying attention to this one

Posted

I apologise again if it is directed at the media, my old eyes misreading what you two posted about-apologies

Haha no worries fella. :)