Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

Latest GFS has sustained winds touching 65mph into the southwest, gusts easily hitting 85mph and with potential sting-jet likely nearer 95mph.

Widespread swathe of inland gusts to 60mph and more likely hitting 70mph as wrap around pushes through.

However i expect this track to be slightly further north come the event. 

This storm has large swathe of sustained Hurricane Force winds (a number of 65kt barbs can be seen) just before it makes landfall...

I think this system will be the big wind event of the winter and i would think a gust to 100mph is actually very reasonably achieved from this set-up in some exposed southwestern spot.

Posted Image

I think this is fairly accurate assessment. An extra issue, though, is that the storm is hitting during a working day. Wednesday evening rush-hour looking really dangerous. The storm surely deserves the same media attention as the St Judes storm?

I think this is fairly accurate assessment. An extra issue, though, is that the storm is hitting during a working day. Wednesday evening rush-hour looking really dangerous. The storm surely deserves the same media attention as the St Judes storm?

Once the media catch and latch onto it then they will, give it till tonight and I think we will start to see the headlines, as of tomorrow its less than 48 hours out.. The fact it is still on the models this morning is a worry.. It's track will be key to see where the strongest winds are.. If it goes further south then the winds will be strongest in the channel, current track makes the winds strongest over the south further north and the Irish sea and Midlands will see the strongest winds..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Posted Image

Im just going to lift up my rock and get under it..

150km/h gusts for SW England! Just what they need, NOT! So, the stormy spell goes on and on.... Looks like the worse has been saved until last!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Everytime a deep low shows up, it gets downgraded downgraded downgraded day by day, everyone espically the southerners seem to forget LOL

Yes exactly!

I think people are forgetting this and this is why they are getting so worried, without realising that the models tend to do this with lows every other year.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes exactly! I think people are forgetting this and this is why they are getting so worried, without realising that the models tend to do this with lows every other year.

Sorry to my eyes this is getting upgraded with every set of data coming in. I say upgraded tongue in cheek 'cos that one in December was more than enough for me and I certainly don't want to see anything like that again in a hurry.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

It's happened a few times over the last week or so where the models have overdone the storms slightly and there has been downgrades in wind potential at the last minute. I'm not saying it's going to happen this time but worth bearing in mind and we're still a few days away for the next event. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Looks like GFS 6Z has completely binned Fri/Sat storm for the moment

Posted

It's happened a few times over the last week or so where the models have overdone the storms slightly and there has been downgrades in wind potential at the last minute. I'm not saying it's going to happen this time but worth bearing in mind and we're still a few days away for the next event. 

Yea this system was actually dropped from the models for a few days and only reappeared yesterday morning.

I personally feel the storm will occur but the track is very much open to debate, further north bringing the worst through Ireland and Northern England or it could go south into the channel.

Still i think a wind-storm hitting some part of UK&IRE during Wednesday is now nailed on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Sorry to my eyes this is getting upgraded with every set of data coming in. I say upgraded tongue in cheek 'cos that one in December was more than enough for me and I certainly don't want to see anything like that again in a hurry.

But one model has allready completely got rid of the one on Friday into Saturday which is more then just a downgrade.

Stands to my point really. The models are all over the place at the moment so I wouldn't take any one particular run as gospel at the moment, even the one for Wednesday.

• Like 1

Posted

What I've seen is a couple of storms forecast at T144 not materialising by T60 (such as Tuesday's), other than that I don't think the models made too many mistakes once they got within T96. Last Wednesday/Saturday I never saw any forecasts for gusts above 80 mph at any time.

The key is when the storms stop deepening - that's when they lose the damaging winds. Last week's storms were always programmed to peak just before reaching the SW. All the forecasts for this Wednesday's storm have been different - it now being consistently forecast to peak over land in the SW - and of course we are now at T60. Remember the St Judes day storm wasn't so strong here because it actually deepened too late, after reaching the UK, giving Force 12 mean wind speeds off The Netherlands.

Anyway, we will see!

• Like 2

Posted

But one model has allready completely got rid of the one on Friday into Saturday which is more then just a downgrade.

Stands to my point really. The models are all over the place at the moment so I wouldn't take any one particular run as gospel at the moment, even the one for Wednesday.

Wednesday system is now well within range.

Looking through the GFS Ensembles it is clear there will be a wind event, but large spread on exact track, the centre could be over the Isle of Wight or Glasgow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

It's only 48 hours away, and time to get concerned

Because Saturday was bad enough, with the mean speeds in the 20's & 30's - gusting 50's & 60's

Nearby garden shed roof sustained a little damage from that

Now think sustained 55 to 65, gusting 85 to 95, gives me an idea about how bad it could be (worst case)

Winds that high, would be trouble for bridges, high-sided vehicles, structural damage to tree's & buildings

Hoping that the models are over cooking this one

Edited by stevofunnelcl
  • Like 3

Posted

Seems the Express are more interested in Friday, naming the storm the 'Valentines Day Massacre' Posted Image

Although reading above, it seems that the Friday/Saturday one is becoming more unlikely! The Express do it again.

Posted

Looks like GFS 6Z has completely binned Fri/Sat storm for the moment

06Z GFS ensembles show some very worrying charts though for Fri/Sat, especially coming so soon after Wednesday's storm

Posted

Seems the Express are more interested in Friday, naming the storm the 'Valentines Day Massacre' Posted Image

Although reading above, it seems that the Friday/Saturday one is becoming more unlikely! The Express do it again.

Please don't listen to the papers, they are awful and confusing the general public!

Now people will be expecting a damaging storm only on Friday when in reality there would have allready been one on Wednesday and with no one expecting it.

Posted

Please don't listen to the papers, they are awful and confusing the general public!

Now people will be expecting a damaging storm only on Friday when in reality there would have allready been one on Wednesday and with no one expecting it.

It's a bit odd though that the BBC forecasts I've seen this morning just mention wet and windy weather for wednesday. Either the models are overplaying this one or BBC/Met office just being cautious. Next Met office update this morning should tell us one way or the other I suppose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Extreme charts for Wednesday now. Could be substantial damage in Cornwall from this if things stay as projected now. Worse than last week.

The last 3 GFS runs have all been consecutively upgrading the wind speeds from the storm. the 18z yesterday showed 80mph gusts for the far southwest, and the 6z is showing that to be 90-95mph. I know it's still a little early to pinpoint specific numbers, but when we are less than 60 hours from a potentially devestating storm, and we are still seeing upgrades, I think it's time to start paying close attention.

Posted Image

Incase people don't know the conversions, the brightest purple is 93mph,  and the darker purple surrounding it is 87mph. A large swathe of the southwest coastline could be in for 80+mph if this verifies.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ramping, but this generally seems very concerning to me.

The WRF NMM just heightens concerns, by showing off the chart gust speeds for coastal areas.

Posted Image

And still very strong as they move inland,

Posted Image

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 3

Posted

This storm has the potential to be the severest wind-storm to hit land in southern UK for 20 odd years.

Certainly expected more coverage from the UK MetOffice.

Edited by Matty M
  • Like 5

The last 3 GFS runs have all been consecutively upgrading the wind speeds from the storm. the 18z yesterday showed 80mph gusts for the far southwest, and the 6z is showing that to be 90-95mph. I know it's still a little early to pinpoint specific numbers, but when we are less than 60 hours from a potentially devestating storm, and we are still seeing upgrades, I think it's time to start paying close attention.

Posted Image

Incase people don't know the conversions, the brightest purple is 93mph,  and the darker purple surrounding it is 87mph. A large swathe of the southwest coastline could be in for 80+mph if this verifies.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm ramping, but this generally seems very concerning to me.

Also notice right in the middle of the deep purple "black" .. of the chart.. never seen that before on these charts..

Posted

Also notice right in the middle of the deep purple "black" .. of the chart.. never seen that before on these charts..

Talking of the off the scale black - look at the 925hPa wind speeds. Is there a chance of these gusts being brought down to the surface?

Posted Image