Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

Can see the Irish sea from my window and its absolutely wild.  First serious gusts here in Dublin.  Wales is gonna get hit very hard I'm afraid (already is I suppose)

Edited by patneve
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

260,000 homes now without power in Ireland.

That is awful. Posted Image  I think this storm is one for the record books judging by that fact alone.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Going off current vis satellite and wind obs i'm still confident in the windfield being further east than initially forecast, Cardigan Bay harboring the worst of the gusts so far but the next two hours things will rapidly start to go downhill for northwestern areas. http://www.sat24.com/gb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Garage roof collapse in Charleville Co. Cork

Posted Image

Posted

It really is very very nasty here in Dublin at present. My weather station has just blown away, so I'll just say the gusts are VERY STRONG!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

After all these years I finally figured out how he does this, he waited for a gust.

Posted Image

Anyways back to the weather still strong gales and gusts here, birds are having difficulty flying (seagulls) people are finding it hard to walk/cycle.

16:19 12th feb 2014 LATEST IRISH WEATHER REPORTS

Dublin Airport: main wind speed 29kts Gust 41kts Pressure 960hpa

RTE News 

Storm knocks out power and tears down trees 

ESB Networks has said 260,000 customers are without power due to storm damage caused by winds of up to 160km/h.

Most of the customers without power are in west Cork and Kerry.

Gusts of 160km/h were recorded this afternoon at Shannon Airport and Waterford Airport recorded winds of 150km/h this morning.

A state of emergency has been issued for Co Kilkenny due to damage caused by high winds.

Gardaí and county council officials have advised people to stay indoors and avoid any unnecessary travel.

Met Éireann has extended a code level red warning for the south with "dangerous westerly winds" and mean speeds of 80 to 100km/h and very severe gusts of 130 to 170km/h.

The warning is valid until 7pm.

There is disruption to phone lines, numerous incidents of debris blocking roads and damage to property as a result of the storm.

Kerry County Council is urging people to stay indoors, with reports of damaged tress, tiles and debris.

The storm brought high seas and damaging winds, especially in exposed coastal areas.

Eircom said 11,000 faults have been reported on its network as a result of the recent bad weather.

AA Roadwatch has said a number of roads have been blocked in the south and southeast by fallen trees, telephone poles and other debris.

Gardaí have appealed to motorists in Cork and Kerry not to make unnecessary journeys.

Shannon Airport and Cork Airport have suspended operations for safety reasons.

Iarnród Éireann has said there significant are delays on trains between Mallow and Cork, Mallow and Tralee, and Cork and Cobh/Midleton.

City and Expressway bus services in Galway have resumed after being suspended due to high winds.

The Westside Library in the city has been evacuated after a number of windows at roof level were blown in.

The library features a number of large glass panes and there a fears more could be damaged in the strong winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

People walking their dogs being blown around like pieces of confetti here....why would you bother/risk being hit by falling debris??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Not doing bad here from the sheltered south max gust 49 mph averaging 29 mph, Wait til it swings. Edit 59 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

420,000 homes and businesses without power in South Wales (info from Sky News & Western Power Distribution). If that's true this storm is having a massive impact!

Edit - Sky News now say 42,000 - seems a bit more realistic! Still, a huge amount of properties without power.

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

I believe the worst have it has passed from my area now. I do say that with some trepidation, not wanting to shoot myself in the foot. Wind speed have been gradually dropping from about 14.30. The really serious stuff looks to be to the north of me now.

For a period between 13.30 and 14.30 it was gusting consistently 70-75mph with a peak gust of 79mph and a peak in mean wind speed of 56mph. Current conditions see it gusting around 55-60mph although as i write this a gust of 64mph occurred but there is nowhere near the ferocity to the wind as there was earlier.

Stay safe people

Posted

Pretty sure that's the M62 at J22 where the Pennine Way crosses over the Motorway

It sure is..WOW ! it's getting crazy here now in Leeds. Office roof just rattled like cannon fire, gone from a breeze to severe in 5 minutes ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Why hardly ANYTHING in the Midlands, 55mph gusts happen all the time so why this storm?!!!! Then again... worse to come later as the warning is not in force until 6.00PM!

• Like 1

Posted

M6 Cheshire closing both ways near Thelwall viaduct due to winds!

10,000 without power W Mids.

My brother left here (Stafford) 3pm to go back to Bolton, he's just rang to say he's arrived OK but it was 'interesting' going over the Thelwall viaduct.  Posted Image