Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

People in those parts of exposed Wales with 100+mph winds gusts (potentially) today stay safe - in fact everyone within the warning areas should make sure they are prepared.  This is a nasty LP system which is likely to chuck everything including the kitchen sink at us.  Rain, Snow, Gales - horrible day for sure ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Trip to Anglsey Update 1Just leaving Shrewsbury, reasonable morning, overcast, occasional rain showers. Just seen the news about 100mph gusts. When is that expected in North Wales today?

3pm to 7pm would be my best estimate. If you've not been to the coast in a strong gale, it'll be very memorable for sure!

Stay safe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Looks nasty! Im here on the NW Wales coast! 100mph... not looking forward!

Yup looks nasty mate - they did emphasise with exposure but makes you wonder how bad this is actually going to get.  Stay safe and make sure the garden furniture is tied down!

Posted

Looks nasty! Im here on the NW Wales coast! 100mph... not looking forward!

Good luck.Posted Image  I'd be nervous as hell too, mostly worrying about property damage / loss etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The warning suggests 80mph is possible on the south coast too, so no teddy bear's picnic for anyone except for inland South Eastern areas. (e.g. London)

I,m not sure gusts circa 60mph are that common for inland SE to be honest,especially the capital.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Carol kirkwood just said on bbc news things looking a lot better next week. Thank god think we just need to get through today and Friday then into next week things calming down and a lot dryer according to her anyway. At last some good news.

Posted

Carol kirkwood just said on bbc news things looking a lot better next week. Thank god think we just need to get through today and Friday then into next week things calming down and a lot dryer according to her anyway. At last some good news.

Considering the nature of our weather, wouldn't hold it to fact just yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

Note the gale warnings just issued for the southwest; Lundy, Fastnet and Irish Sea.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast/#?tab=map

An upgrade from this morning's shipping forecast already. Hurricane force 12 imminent (within 6 hours)

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 1

Posted

Considering the nature of our weather, wouldn't hold it to fact just yet.

especially looking at the GFS this morning!,however the ECM...well!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Is it just me or is this delayed slightly today? ( only a few hours ) But from my reading, it looks like most inland areas could be hit hardest around home rush hour !?

Havent checked what the PPN is like, I assume  a fair amount.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Note the gale warnings just issued for the southwest; Lundy, Fastnet and Irish Sea.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-shipping-forecast/#?tab=map

An upgrade from this morning's shipping forecast already. Hurricane force 12 imminent (within 6 hours)

Just came on forum to post same thing ,good job tides are in low mode ,possibly burnsday storm type weather today ,take care i got caught out in that one ,midafternoon a massive tree came crashing down across the road frightening ,take care .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Is it just me or is this delayed slightly today? ( only a few hours ) But from my reading, it looks like most inland areas could be hit hardest around home rush hour !?

I think it will be this afternoon/evening when the worst hits the areas at highest risk of disruption. The peak looks to be around 2pm-6pm in West Wales and then 4pm-9pm across the rest of NW and Northern England.

Posted

I think Nick F warned about the rush hour, in the worst affected areas yesterday. :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Absolutely dreading this one, normally a bit more positive regarding a storm but this has the potential to leave me homeless.

It horrible out at the moment, so dark with driving heavy rain, gusting to mid 50's currently.

Today From: 12.02.2014 12:00 CET Until: 13.02.2014 00:55 CETA

Vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across northern parts of the UK later on Wednesday, clearing eastwards early on Thursday. This is likely to be accompanied by a swathe of southwesterly gales across many areas which may be severe in places. Winds will veer more westerly later on Wednesday. A first peak in the winds is likely over southern and southwest England around the middle of Wednesday but with the main swathe of even stronger and potentially damaging winds crossing parts of Wales then northern England later in the day.

Posted Image

Met Office now foretasted VIOLENT STORM or HURRICANE FORCE 12 conditions for IRISH SEA. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~IrishSea

Exposed parts of the Irish Sea areas may see 90-100mph gusts later tonight and in to the early hours. We here on the Fylde may see 80 mph.

Advice in what to do in severe weather...
http://www.metfy.info/advice---gales.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Just watching BBC 24 report at Porthleven, the reporter having to take shelter now as the wind's so high, and the camera man wiping the lens every 15 seconds due to the driving rain.

River Severn levels could top those of 2007, may overtop the barriers which would flood many more properties. Really bad times for people, stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

this is the beast who is going to cause havoc across Ireland & the UK today, stay safe people im expecting to be hit by the winds around rush hour

not good Posted Image 

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely dreading this one, normally a bit more positive regarding a storm but this has the potential to leave me homeless.

It horrible out at the moment, so dark with driving heavy rain, gusting to mid 50's currently.

Well, as with others in the worst zone, good luck. Posted Image  I hope you can report for us tomorrow and that you are unscathed.

I find storms quite exciting, but definitely wouldn't want my house to be facing the onslaught from something so strong. :( 

Posted

My heart really does go out to all the poor souls already flooded or on food alert this incoming storm is violent and I have real concerns for the south please stay safe and if I could take this one for u I would

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gusts touching 70-80mph over Southern Ireland, buoy 62023 recording violent storm force 11 - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Like 2