Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

I live in North West Wales, in a village on an exposed hill facing the Irish sea, I'll do my best to do some "now casting" during the storm, providing the power doesn't go off.  None the less, I will get pictures/videos and share them here.

Great stuff thanks!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

GFS indicating 85-95mph winds at 925mb across north Wales and N England late afternoon tomorrow, which could easily translate to the surface as 80-90mph gusts - particularly if a sting jet develops. Worrying, as it co-incides with start of rush hour across N England.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Met Office now mentions that gusts may reach 100mph across the most exposed parts of NW Wales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=wl&fcTime=1392163200

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Winds beginning to build over S Ireland http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

The Met Office have updated the amber warning again overnight to broaden the amber area and include gusts of 100mph for N Wales!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200

Edited by Liam J

Posted

This is looking a very bad storm for southern Ireland, Wales, Midlands and N England later, with potential for 80-90 mph gusts S Ireland 12 to 15z; N and W Wales, N Midlands and NW England from 15z. Potential for isolated 90 to 100 mph gusts S Ireland and N Wales, maybe exposed Aberdaron seeing gust to 100mph.

Potential for gusts of 60 - 70 mph elsewhere across England and Wales. All-in-all, not a great day to be out and about. The damaging winds hitting towns and cities of N England and N Mids by rush hour too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

And in addition to all this the added element of convective SLW's and slight risk of tornado's along the cold front as per Tony Gilbert's Convective outlook on UKWW:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/102216-convective-outlook-weds-12th-feb-2014/

Amber Warnings from the Met Office are now including Derbyshire and so I may not have to travel far at all to experience this. An exposed hill in the Peak District during the late afternoon maybe.

These Amber Warnings are shown on the warning matrix to be at the highest level of impact and second to highest in probability - that would tell me that if this becomes a certainty we could see a red warning, most likely I think in NW Wales.

Edited by Supacell

Posted

How is the train station roof on the cobh platform?

Yes its rough now in cork and its hours from peaking yet

Posted

Winds beginning to build over S Ireland http://www.xcweather.co.uk/The Met Office have updated the amber warning again overnight to broaden the amber area and include gusts of 100mph for N Wales!http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200

The warning suggests 80mph is possible on the south coast too, so no teddy bear's picnic for anyone except for inland South Eastern areas. (e.g. London)

Posted

Eerily quiet here at the minute, not a breath of wind. Local forecasts last night just said its going to be a windy day, they havnt made people aware in my humble opinion of the potential. Whatever is coming later for my area I am going to get the full impact of. I hope everyone stays safe across the country today...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Latest EURO4 places sustained 80mph winds onto southwest Irish coast.

Yes .... sustained winds greater than Hurricane Force.....

Posted Image

wow! That's a scary prospect. The damage that could cause doesn't bare thinking about.. hope everyone over there stays safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Looking bad for NW Wales too

---

Tomasz Schafernaker â€@Schafernaker 8m

Exceptional winds forecast for exposed parts of NW WALES. GUSTS of 100mph are possible. Others more like 60-80mph. See #metoffice

---

Red Weather Warning issued for Southern Ireland from Meteoalarm.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Starting to look very serious now, wouldn't be surprised if the MetO took the same approach, and upgraded their warnings for wales.

The low has bombed overnight,a nd is currently at 959mb - Quite impressive given it was at 985mb yesterday afternoon.

Posted Image

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted

Latest EURO4 places sustained 80mph winds onto southwest Irish coast.

Yes .... sustained winds greater than Hurricane Force.....

Posted Image

How low is the low pressure expected to go on this one ?? Did I hear drop 40mb in a 24 hour period?? (obviously not 40 mb drop from its current pressure, dont want people to think that)

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Trip to Anglsey Update 1

Just leaving Shrewsbury, reasonable morning, overcast, occasional rain showers. Just seen the news about 100mph gusts. When is that expected in North Wales today?

• Like 2