Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Holyhead in Wales likely to be the sweet spot but obviously puts you right in the middle of natures fury so perhaps you should watch from behind the curtains in Derby

Yes, but then what sort of storm chaser would I be Posted Image

It does look like the western coasts from Pembrokeshire up to North Wales and then NW England will see the strongest winds tomorrow along with a swathe of Northern England. I should imagine the Pennines could get some rather impressive gusts tomorrow afternoon and evening - 80mph+

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Bricklayers, farmers, roofers, landscapers -Tree surgeons & tool hire (pumps) -Driving through wingham, Preston, wickambreux, plucks gutter (Canterbury, Sturry areas) last few days. Plenty of flooded roads, sandbags at doorsteps, hoses pumping water out of cellars. Uprooted trees and I'm sure come Sunday there will be much more devastation up and down the country. I have lost a fair few days work this year, but I still get excited about a storm system approaching.

But plenty of work to come maybe ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

You can just see storm Tini  taking shape now

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-22.13,52.23,3000

This updates every 3 hrs

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

You must be new here? Posted Image

There is always a lot of IMBY going on and the Mods do a good job at curbing a lot of it before the fists come out ( Ive been guilty a few times of poking the troll ) but thats how it is.

The forum always has been and always will be full of weather fanatics who LOVE a good bit of devastation. Its just how we are. There is nothing we can do about the weather. So why not embrace it rather than moan..

Obviously there are a lot of lives lost every year due to it ( and im sure tomorrow this number will rise. ) Its horrible but sometimes people put themselves in danger and its nature.

We dont want to see any damage or any loss to life, but it happens sadly.

Some people do indeed get carried away and they should sit back and think why. However we ( myself included ) would love to see 100mph winds here.. But it wont happen.

Id need to travel. and im working and lazy.

So meh,

Lets see what happens.

I have been posting here since June 2005 on and off.Some of the issues you seem to find 'good sport' here can be highly annoying and offputting for a newcomer imo so it is hard to 'embrace' this nonsense as you put it.The mod discussion a case in point. The mods do a great job,my posts get moved alot for straying off topic so with that in mind we can agree on one thing,the love of the extreme....and tomorrow will certainly be that for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Meanwhile in Ireland....

Cars abandoned in Donegal following heavy snowfall

Cars have been abandoned in Co Donegal after heavy snowfall caused dangerous road conditions.

Met Éireann has warned of strong winds on the south and southwest coasts, while a status orange snow and ice warning remains in place for Co Donegal.

A status orange wind warning is in place for counties Wexford, Galway, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford, where Met Éireann says westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 70km/h to 80km/h, with gusts of up to 130km/h.

The warning for Donegal indicates snow accumulations of 3-6cm are possible.

Donegal County Council has deployed 23 gritting trucks, however the local authority is warning that ice-free roads can not be guaranteed.

Vehicles have been abandoned on the Back of Errigal Road between Glenveagh National Park and Dunlewey and there have been minor accidents in Stranorlar, Letterkenny and on the Lifford to Letterkenny road. 

A yellow alert is in place for Connacht and counties Cavan, Longford, Monaghan and Westmeath.

Cold, wintry weather is expected with occasional heavy hail, sleet and snow showers likely.

Snow accumulations of up to 3cm are possible, especially on higher ground.

Meanwhile, a senior engineer with Clare County Council has said that damaged tourist areas of the county must be repaired without delay.

Tom Tiernan said significant repairs must be made to up to 40 sites across the county.

His comments come after the council stated that the cost of repairing the damage done by recent storms could be €35m.  

"There are a total of 40 sites containing public infrastructure along the coast of Clare, from Galway Bay and up into the Shannon Estuary.

"There are several key locations that are a key component to the tourist industry, which is a cornerstone of the economy of Co Clare.

"Not just Lahinch, but areas like Kilkee, Spanish Point, New Quay, Liscannor and Loop Head peninsula."

Elsewhere, Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin has said the Government has decided to give €500,000 to the St Vincent De Paul society and a further €500,000 to the Irish Red Cross so that they will have as many vehicles as possible to distribute relief.

He said the next phase will be to get full oversight of the damage to infrastructure around the country.

He said the Government will be getting a report on the damage from the Minister for the Environment today.

Info from: RTE News 

Video:

Met Éireann issues weather warnings ahead of stormy conditions Edited by Luke Anthony
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Started snowing here now just to add to the mix of weather lol

• Like 1

Posted

Started snowing here now just to add to the mix of weather lol

On and off for Dublin all day here, I'm enjoying the odd flurries, wish it would stay for a day just so I can grab a few photos.

• Like 1

Posted

My mother in law lives in Valley, which is about a mile and a half from Holyhead.

I guess she won't be going out for her daily walk tomorrow by the sound of it. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Made a map for Wednesday showing each part of the country and when they can expect the worse of the winds. This is based off what the Met Office wind maps say and the GFS model as well.

Posted ImageMapWed.png

Thank you.

Posted

Made a map for Wednesday showing each part of the country and when they can expect the worse of the winds. This is based off what the Met Office wind maps say and the GFS model as well.

Posted ImageMapWed.png

thought the winds were stronger for cumbria or is thst just the coasts

Posted

If a red warning was issued when would we see it

That could happen at any random moment 3 hrs or 6hrs before hand, I've seen red warnings issued while an event was happening....to late the damage was already done, but saying that this happened seven years ago when Dublin was flooded by summer Thunderstorms.

Posted

thought the winds were stronger for cumbria or is thst just the coasts

For Cumbria the gust charts show 75mph to 80mph between 6pm to 8pm.

Posted

I am off work tomorrow and wondering where I could head to feel this storms fury, plus get some video, without dicing with death too much!

We went to criccieth on Saturday for the storm, it was fab, there's a brilliant little cafe which has a conservatory on the back which literally sits out on the sea..we spent most of our time in there drinking coffee and eating far too many cakes..your problem will be travelling there during the storm which is not a great idea...
  • Like 1

Posted

We went to criccieth on Saturday for the storm, it was fab, there's a brilliant little cafe which has a conservatory on the back which literally sits out on the sea..we spent most of our time in there drinking coffee and eating far too many cakes..your problem will be travelling there during the storm which is not a great idea...

Coffee and cakes? I'm in Posted Image

Posted

I'm nervous and yet very excited about tommorow. I'll explain again the situation here. In Darton I'm high up on a ridge (330 ft), out to my west it dips to under 100 ft gradually over 4 miles then beyond that the land rises out to the pennines peaks. On a clear day I can see over to and beyond saddleworth moor from the bedroom window, a good 30 miles or so. Between saddleworth moor and my house on the ridge in darton a streight westerly is un interrupted. Nothing in the way whatsoever. I record between 15 and 25 mph higher than any given forecast in these situations.

Time to buckle up me thinks.

Southerly gales are increadibly rare here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Any high tide issues tomoz or the weekend for that matter

simply answer is no as we're seeing neap tides at the moment so very little chance of coastal flooding thankfully
  • Like 1

Posted

Any high tide issues tomoz or the weekend for that matter

Don't forget to add the New Moon into this effect this coming 14th Friday. 

It would be good to know of any effects that could happen, I'm no wave expert so more info would be great if anybody can share.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The idea would be to travel ahead of the storms arrival and then as the worst of the winds come through I will sit with camcorder in hand before heading home after the worst has passed, so the bigger problem could be getting back due to flooded/blocked roads etc :)

I will make my decision based on the 00z runs.

• Like 1

Posted

Gfs 18z run still shows the strongest of the winds affecting an area further south than the met office has it's amber warning out for at 18.00.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Cor blimey, just had a gander at the shipping forecast

For the Shannon area they are talking storm 10 to hurricane 12

Even for the Lundy area, they are saying perhaps violent storm 11 later

David Braine, local south-west forecast, Northern Coasts should prepare for possibility of 20ft waves later tomorrow (that is right on the coast)

• Like 2