Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Deadly

Sorry, that aint going to happen.

Just another case of the silly models over doing the lows I'm afraid.

Hopefully people won't be too under prepared for the storm tomorrow, despite the lack of media coverage due to the current floods. It's strange how we've almost become to accept this as the normal, and hopefully that mindset won't cause any careless injuries tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

NASA took great pic of Atlantic today. If someone could add. It's on @newsbreaker twitter feed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well obviously looking at charts that far out then they are subject to changes but nobody can say for sure that they aren't going to happen. Plenty of action for other parts of the country during the next 24 hours, even if it isn't happening in your back yard. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

At least the ecm follows on from yesterday with things improving next week in the south. And thankfully the rain tommorow will push through quickly. Perhaps no more than a couple of hours hopefully. Then the concern is the winds. But thankfully we are still seeing neap tides which shud mean little if any coastal flooding. So as things stand from early next week we should see a gradual improvement at last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I don't know mate, we have seen near record low pressure so far this winter. Anything could happen knowing this phase of weather.

The 2013/14 winter will undoubtedly be remembered for the widespread and devastating flooding in the SW and now along the Thames. But with Wednesday's LP and attendant winds likely to be followed by another Fri/Sat, I fear yet more weather memories will be made for the wrong reasons.

Whatever the final track and intensity of Wed system, damage and disruption is on the cards it seems.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Currently seems to be snowing quite heavily in Scotland, and temperatures dipping to -5C, snow looks possible in North England tommorow, heavily. Mainly rain in S. Winds have been upgraded slightly.

Very interesting switches in Weather in the past months though.

November 2013 - Most of the UK was under several slow moving High Pressure systems for most of the month, forcing very dry conditions and fog, but not really severe fog. Temperatures were colder.

December 2013 - Scotland was affected by many deep Low pressure systems, some of the deepest recorded, especially in the NW. England not as badly affected. Milder Temperatures.

January 2013 - The stories changed from Scotland to SW England which was affected by many Low Pressure Systems, some of the deepest recorded. Flooding was a main issue.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Quite a bit of 'agenda' driven comment on here tonight, be it the 'i'm having this storm as my own' or the ' i want the high winds,another let down,nothing will happen here type' I hope folk popping in here can see through it all,as we have a very dangerous spell of weather for the WHOLE of England,Wales and Ireland,tomorrow and again Friday into Saturday.

The Facts are these:

60mph gusts throughout England,perhaps pushing toward 70mph on the South coast.

80mph gusts around Southwest and Western coasts

A swathe of potential 90mph gusts in exposure over Northern England later tomorrow.

Copius rainfall for southern counties of England,up to 25mm locally.

All of this is serious and life threatning given the ground conditions( toppling trees)and weakened structures due to weeks of high winds.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

The sinkhole on the M2 is now only 15ft deep and not 50ft as initially reported

Ach just a wee pothole.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow...

Sleet/snow ne Cumbria at the minute, not looking forward to the winds tomorrow, my whole panel fence was rocking backwards and forwards in a lot less than we are expecting.

That might teach me not to cowboy a job again.

Have to add, great forum , just joined .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Quite a bit of 'agenda' driven comment on here tonight, be it the 'i'm having this storm as my own' or the ' i want the high winds,another let down,nothing will happen here type' I hope folk popping in here can see through it all,as we have a very dangerous spell of weather for the WHOLE of England,Wales and Ireland,tomorrow and again Friday into Saturday.The Facts are these:60mph gusts throughout England,perhaps pushing toward 70mph on the South coast.80mph gusts around Southwest and Western coastsA swathe of potential 90mph gusts in exposure over Northern England later tomorrow.Copius rainfall for southern counties of England,up to 25mm locally.All of this is serious and life threatning given the ground conditions( toppling trees)and weakened structures due to weeks of high winds.

I guess its just a case of wait and see but i'm saying that we here won't expect much now based on the fact that 60mph gusts were forecast in the last storm but we only had a gust of 43mph.

It does look bad for the worst areas effected, and maybe because of all of the rain another 40mph+ gust may do more damage here then it otherwise would.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Sleet/snow ne Cumbria at the minute, not looking forward to the winds tomorrow, my whole panel fence was rocking backwards and forwards in a lot less than we are expecting.

That might teach me not to cowboy a job again.

Have to add, great forum , just joined .

Welcome to mad house Posted Image

Glad to have you have on board. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Quite a bit of 'agenda' driven comment on here tonight, be it the 'i'm having this storm as my own' or the ' i want the high winds,another let down,nothing will happen here type' I hope folk popping in here can see through it all,as we have a very dangerous spell of weather for the WHOLE of England,Wales and Ireland,tomorrow and again Friday into Saturday.The Facts are these:60mph gusts throughout England,perhaps pushing toward 70mph on the South coast.80mph gusts around Southwest and Western coastsA swathe of potential 90mph gusts in exposure over Northern England later tomorrow.Copius rainfall for southern counties of England,up to 25mm locally.All of this is serious and life threatning given the ground conditions( toppling trees)and weakened structures due to weeks of high winds.

That's the thing though Sunni nobody has said that over the past few pages I am confused as to where this has started?

As you have said though potentially very stormy across the UK - places that could do without it too.  I really am starting to think this winter is just messed up and we need - dare I say it - a nice high pressure to build and dry the place out.  Strange times indeed mate but what will be will be.

Stay safe peeps tomorrow and the flood stricken areas down south - keeping my fingers crossed that some dry settled weather surfaces soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Quite a bit of 'agenda' driven comment on here tonight, be it the 'i'm having this storm as my own' or the ' i want the high winds,another let down,nothing will happen here type' I hope folk popping in here can see through it all,as we have a very dangerous spell of weather for the WHOLE of England,Wales and Ireland,tomorrow and again Friday into Saturday.

The Facts are these:

60mph gusts throughout England,perhaps pushing toward 70mph on the South coast.

80mph gusts around Southwest and Western coasts

A swathe of potential 90mph gusts in exposure over Northern England later tomorrow.

Copius rainfall for southern counties of England,up to 25mm locally.

All of this is serious and life threatning given the ground conditions( toppling trees)and weakened structures due to weeks of high winds.

You must be new here? Posted Image

There is always a lot of IMBY going on and the Mods do a good job at curbing a lot of it before the fists come out ( Ive been guilty a few times of poking the troll ) but thats how it is.

The forum always has been and always will be full of weather fanatics who LOVE a good bit of devastation. Its just how we are. There is nothing we can do about the weather. So why not embrace it rather than moan..

Obviously there are a lot of lives lost every year due to it ( and im sure tomorrow this number will rise. ) Its horrible but sometimes people put themselves in danger and its nature.

We dont want to see any damage or any loss to life, but it happens sadly.

Some people do indeed get carried away and they should sit back and think why. However we ( myself included ) would love to see 100mph winds here.. But it wont happen.

Id need to travel. and im working and lazy.

So meh,

Lets see what happens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Posted Image

From xcweather.co.uk - the image says it all really....

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am off work tomorrow and wondering where I could head to feel this storms fury, plus get some video, without dicing with death too much!

Posted

I am off work tomorrow and wondering where I could head to feel this storms fury, plus get some video, without dicing with death too much!

Holyhead in Wales likely to be the sweet spot but obviously puts you right in the middle of natures fury so perhaps you should watch from behind the curtains in Derby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Bricklayers, farmers, roofers, landscapers - 😭

Tree surgeons & tool hire (pumps) - ðŸ˜

Driving through wingham, Preston, wickambreux, plucks gutter (Canterbury, Sturry areas) last few days. Plenty of flooded roads, sandbags at doorsteps, hoses pumping water out of cellars. Uprooted trees and I'm sure come Sunday there will be much more devastation up and down the country. I have lost a fair few days work this year, but I still get excited about a storm system approaching.

Edited by stubbys

Posted

Unfortunately, gfs does not show this....

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=16&ech=6&carte=&mode=0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=16&ech=192&carte=&mode=0

well looking  at  the models no  let  up till at least  the  end  of  feb so  more  rain and  floods for  the  uk

Posted

I guess its just a case of wait and see but i'm saying that we here won't expect much now based on the fact that 60mph gusts were forecast in the last storm but we only had a gust of 43mph.It does look bad for the worst areas effected, and maybe because of all of the rain another 40mph+ gust may do more damage here then it otherwise would.

Had this conversation with another member here the other day,just because you don't get the 60mph gust 'in your back yard' doesnt make the warning invalid for your town/county.Folk with wind gauges in their back yards are unlikely to see a true gust reflection for other parts near them that have elevation or exposure or both.I do accept your point though that the wind speeds predicted for the most recent Low were not really achieved,however the previous storm ( the one that did for the railway in Dawlish) created stronger gusts than predicted......92mph on the Isles of Scilly. Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1