Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Just seen Beeb weather and winds of 70=80mph across the north from wales to NE England in a diagonal swathe.  Actually haven't been monitoring as thought this would be a southern event.  

Despite the lack of snow this winter one thing is for sure it will go own in history as one to remember for all the wrong reasons.  I can't remember a time in my life with so many deep LP systems slamming the UK one after the other....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Looks like we are in the firing line in that one.

Yes, a few peoples electricity going down, wont be stocking up my fridge today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Posted Image

Latest from MO

Goes to show how hard it is to predict these lows even 24 hours out.

Yesterday, they had the "most likely" for central England and "alternative" for south.

Now the "likely" is north where as before there was no mention if it.

Not good for some people no matter what.

Hold on to your hats!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

On this mornings 06z the low/strongest winds seem to have slipped a little further south for Wednesday's storm....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Hopecasting? I have no idea why. This is a life threatening storm.

It is an observation Posted Image .....This is a weather forum and a storm thread LOL and most kinds of weather are dangerous in one way or the other....

It clearly shows on the GFS this morning on the wind tab they have moved slightly south again....Posted Image

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

On this mornings 06z the low/strongest winds seem to have slipped a little further south for Wednesday's storm....

Worth bearing in mind according to one of the TV forecasters, they were equally concerned about Saturday's storm, which at such a long range made me perk my ears up. So much going on and once again, we are lucky to get one dry day in seven right now especially in the flood prone regions.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

BBC weather mentioned gusts as high as 90mph across Wales and N England, that would make it possibly the strongest storm up here since January 2005. Still some time for chopping and changing but I wouldn't expect any major changes in track at this close time scale 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted

In its own right this storm would have made the headlines without the recent few months, unfortunately many people will have become accustomed to these types of events so won't necessarily understand the dangers and risk posed by the gales tomorrow than otherwise during a time of 'normality' to put it. Certainly one to tell the neighbors and family about if anything to simply get the word out that for a few hours into tomorrow afternoon things are going to get decidely worse in terms of weather conditions and the dangers posed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Says it all really..

post-15177-0-39907600-1392116314_thumb.j

It can only get worse for areas already flooded, with those projections, so many more people will be affected! It sure!y has to register as a state of emergency? I wonder how many countries are sending over help and aid? :mellow:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Why don't we have a state of emergency? Since when we had the last one? I know other countries do that when it comes to flooding like Brazil, in response to torrential rainfall in 2003 or States of emergency were declared in the United States for 26 Oklahoma Counties, 14 Mississippi Counties, and all counties in Alabama after a severe weather outbreak caused significant damage on April 14–15 to these areas. (2011)

Edited by pip22

Posted

It is an observation Posted Image .....This is a weather forum and a storm thread LOL and most kinds of weather are dangerous in one way or the other....

It clearly shows on the GFS this morning on the wind tab they have moved slightly south again....Posted Image

It's not an observation, it's a desire. You seem happy, as evidenced in the last part of your post, that the track has changed? Why would you want 90 mph winds and the danger to life?

It's not an observation, it's a desire. You seem happy, as evidenced in the last part of your post, that the track has changed? Why would you want 90 mph winds and the danger to life?

..he said, commenting on the severe weather forum of a weather enthusiasts website. 

Hmmm.. that's a tricky question CLH. Why on Earth would we want that?? 

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Surprised there is no meeting of Cobra to discuss tomorrow's storm, with it being predicted on a par with St Jude.............ah it's in the north, now I understand.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Surprised there is no meeting of Cobra to discuss tomorrow's storm, with it being predicted on a par with St Jude.............ah it's in the north, now I understand.

Apparently, there's going to be a press conference at number 10 this afternoon, "A plan of action" was mentioned. I expect that he'll announce a charge for holding water in your living room?! :mellow:
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Is there really any need for this bickering & picking on people? Please cut it out! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber wind warnings extended further north now for tomorrow

North East England, North West England, South West England, Wales, West Midlands, Yorkshire & Humber

Issued at: 1132 on Tue 11 Feb 2014

Valid from: 1000 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2350 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

A vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across northern parts of the UK later on Wednesday, clearing eastwards early on Thursday. This is likely to be accompanied by a swathe of southwesterly gales across many areas which may be severe in places. Winds will veer more westerly later on Wednesday. A first peak in the winds is likely over southwest England around the middle of Wednesday but with the main swathe of even stronger and potentially damaging winds crossing parts of Wales then northern England later in the day. The public should be prepared for the the risk of disruption to transport and possibly also power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts. This warning should be viewed in the broader context of the Yellow Wind warning. The warning has been updated to include parts of northern England and more of Wales but to reduce the extent across the more inland parts of the southwest (for which a yellow warning will remain in force)

Chief Forecaster's assessment

There remains some uncertainty regarding the exact track of the vigorous depression and hence the areas more likely to be affected by the worst of the winds. However, current ideas suggest that parts of western England, Wales and northern England will bear the brunt with gusts of 60-70 mph widely, perhaps with gusts of 80-90 mph in exposed parts of north and west Wales and northwest England. Please monitor the website as this warning may be adjusted as new information become available.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200&regionName=uk

Posted

I am sure there is a meeting this afternoon?In my eyes the government cannot win! They were being slatted a couple of years back because we were not prepared for the snow, and we need to spend millions on gritters!! Now they are being told they should of spent millions on preventing the floods!On sky they are saying wettest for 250 years not sure how true that is, but how are we meant to prepare for that? And what would the backlash of been if they had spent millions on snow ploughs and gritters for this year for them just to be sitting idle?Our weather in the UK is quite unique, and maybe the millions should be spent on forecasting so we can prepare a bit better?
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tweet from David Cameron

After a day visiting flood-hit areas, I'll update the country on the latest plan of action with a press conference at No10 at 4:45pm.