Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

max  gust   my advice for  the

people  on the  south  coast  its  looking  very  nasty

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Jesus Christ! That forecast for next Friday just came out of nowhere. Good job there's 6 days for the models to change thier minds, or we really might be blown across to France.

Will be interesting to see what the ECM says tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

If you look

At the February 1990 wind records it was a very very windy month and ended with the burns day storm which hit the southwest/south hard, the month went out with a bang, even Exeter which is somewhat sheltered recorded 85mph

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Exeter_Airport/02-1990/38390.htm

I'm not saying this is how it's going but lots of similarities I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This was the high gust I had while I was there, for a good minute or so, it didn't drop below 50mph, I had to breathe under my armpit as it was virtually impossible to do so standing head on.

post-15177-0-52638200-1391883557_thumb.j

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4

Posted

Blimey 66 mph winds for friday on XC weather no doubt it will change though always does Posted Image

XCWeather uses the GFS output, and those are the charts blowing up the Feb 14th storm. However, UKMO says otherwise:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=0&ech=144&carte=1021

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

ECM agrees with GFS,a nasty storm on Thursday on that output. It also shows what could be a nasty little low on the 11th,a couple of hours worth of intense rain and fierce winds for the south.

Edited by sunnijim

What on earth happened to Mondays storm? It's gone.

Don't think there was ever a storm forecast for Monday? It was for Tuesday or Wednesday.

The early hours of Tuesday morning the models agree on a low passing to the NW of Scotland where mean speeds could reach 55mph with gusts around 70mph possible,

post-6686-0-43337400-1391885983_thumb.pn

Late Wednesday and Early Thursday Possible Storm

Some models like the GFS and ECM show another low but the rest are unsure of it and disagree at the moment. The GFS and ECM show severe gales being widespread across the UK with similar wind speeds that we saw today,

post-6686-0-06749900-1391886216_thumb.pn

Finally the really nasty storm the GFS gives for Friday looks bad,

Mean speeds around 80mph head into SW Ireland,

post-6686-0-77204700-1391886350_thumb.pn

Later in the day mean speeds around 60 to 70mph with gusts over 90mph head into Wales and Western England,

Mean speeds

post-6686-0-74231800-1391886455_thumb.pn

Gusts

post-6686-0-55594800-1391886473_thumb.pn

So is the GFS over doing this low? The control run made the low 10mb shallower but still showed the storm. The other models have the storm further South and not deep it would still bring gales and rain but nothing near what the GFS is saying so at the moment it goes with little support from the other models.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just a leaf rustler here today never progressed really from an early promise. 

Quick look at the models ECM doesn't show anything stormy for us. UKMO does and GFS goes barmy next Friday. Plenty of model watching next week still waiting for the next storm since December.

• Like 1

Posted

This was the high gust I had while I was there, for a good minute or so, it didn't drop below 50mph, I had to breathe under my armpit as it was virtually impossible to do so standing head on.

Posted ImageP2080061.JPG

Where you order them from? As their are lots... Lets say search on amazon, how does one know what one is good...

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

What on earth happened to Mondays storm? It's gone.

Yeah I know I remember seeing it on the ECM-don't think it was verified on other models though-had an outrageous low centre of 949mb or something.

Edited by martinj2

Posted

Well it looks like the main thing here to days is the rain. Yet another day with the rain totting up. Had 69% of average this morning. Could be around 80% by tomorrow morning.

Posted

Mid 50s mph gusts as per forecast here, being so far inland - to be fair pit, seeing the 'silly' gusts i.e comparing to a coastline or exposed headline perhaps, is going to take some wellie!

Winds are steadily decreasing now - as are the hefty rain showers.

Edit....still a few hefty gusts blowing through mind! Spoke too soon maybe Posted Image

Dunno what you're talking about. I'm not comparing to the coastline and never was.

If you looked at  my posts on this storm I originally said no chance for here as the winds were forecast to be southerly. However this morning was more windy than expected with a more westerly element. Since we're exposed to the moors and we were approaching values expected much later in day by midday . Therefore it was possible we would actually get the values shown in the GFS for us. As it was it never happened therefore my comment just a leaf rustler for us is justified. For us means here Sheffield no where else in the country.

Posted

These are unprecedented times in terms of the westerly onslaught, even if the very worst remains in the usual spots.

You keep saying a leaf rustler lol...yes compared to 80 or even 90 odd mph plus gusts, anything else could be classed as such Posted Image

I remember six weeks of stronger stuff here in the early 2000's

Leaf Rustler 40 to 50 mph

Twig shaker 51-60mph

Branch rattler 61-70mph

Tree twister 71mph plus

Local Government removal tool 100mph plus.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted

What speed do you reckon for Government removal tool??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Where you order them from? As their are lots... Lets say search on amazon, how does one know what one is good...

The Kestrel series start off with basic features, such  as the 1000, which will just take windspeeds, then they go up, 2000, 2500, and the 3000 which is the one I have. It does temp (air, water, snow) dew point,  humidity, wind chill, heat index, and it's also waterproof to a metre but also floats.

The further the range goes up, the more features you get. I bought mine on eBay about two years ago, I got it for £39.99 new, when I did a web search, I was gobsmacked to see how expensive it was, I think mine fell off of the back of a lorry or the seller made a mistake! 

It has been such a reliable bit of kit though, cheapest I've seen it since is around £150/£160

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

The Kestrel series start off with basic features, such  as the 1000, which will just take windspeeds, then they go up, 2000, 2500, and the 3000 which is the one I have. It does temp (air, water, snow) dew point,  humidity, wind chill, heat index, and it's also waterproof to a metre but also floats.The further the range goes up, the more features you get. I bought mine on eBay about two years ago, I got it for £39.99 new, when I did a web search, I was gobsmacked to see how expensive it was, I think mine fell off of the back of a lorry or the seller made a mistake! It has been such a reliable bit of kit though, cheapest I've seen it since is around £150/£160

Might have been sold on the sly by a Netweather 'Widow' :-D
  • Like 4

Posted

TBH, by the timr you are up to branch rattler the wind begins to cause problems. Todays max is 45.7 mph here. Though we have just had a huge freak gust of 78.2 mph my ears popped just before. Wind in general starting to really get up now. If you look on rain today theres almost s mini low spinning across north yorkshire in that cluster of showers... Just got a 55.1 mph right now. I bet thetes a few surprises tonight. Yes.... The stormy day to beat was that thursday back in december for us.Excuse the typo's.... Stupid android phone.

I remember six weeks of stronger stuff here in the early 2000'sLeaf Rustler 40 to 50 mphTwig shaker 51-60mphBranch rattler 61-70mphTree twister 71mph plusLocal Government removal tool 100mph plus.

Edited by Richie V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Omg if the GFS 18z came off for cornwall next Friday it would be extremely serious. 70mph average in exposure and gusts 90 probably 100mph plus!!!!

• Like 2