Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I imagine that wind speed could cause higher gusts up to 140mph winds with a sea level pressure of 942mb, as a Cat 4 hurricane that will make landfall in Ireland, South West of England and the Southern England.

Do you work for the Daily fail???

Interestingly getting fairly breezy here wind more to the SW than predicted hence more wind. Maybe a unexpected stormy day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

Do you work for the Daily fail???Interestingly getting fairly breezy here wind more to the SW than predicted hence more wind. Maybe a unexpected stormy day

No but I was just look them out with the European Windstorm Centre they do have a Beaufort scale 12 is 140mph winds. Edited by Storm Track

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The Beaufort Scale indicates hurricane force 12 winds as 74mph and higher, there is not going to be 140mph winds so please don't make scaremongering posts like that please! 

00z ECM keeps the storms coming all next week, relentless!  http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Aberdaron leading the way with a gust of 76mph - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Gusts of 124kph on the Brest Peninsula, that's nearly 78mph.

Posted

No but I was just look them out with the European Windstorm Centre they do have a Beaufort scale 12 is 140mph winds.

Think he means Kph not Mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well going by Exeter airport the highest gust Exeter had last night was not even up to 50mph (44mph) we must be well sheltered here, more so from the south west winds....the strongest winds seem to occur usually when there's a southerly wind...Where as Plymouth had a gust of 74mph....strange.....

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

941mb? I assume that means winds of 941mph are heading towards the UK. That's probably hurricane force or something isn't it? 

• Like 4

Posted

941mb? I assume that means winds of 941mph are heading towards the UK. That's probably hurricane force or something isn't it? 

I guess you are taking the pee with that statement?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Some isolated sferics in the Channel now.

Posted

Oh dear, it must be Saturday...

Either that or someone has had way to much Cider, I'm starting to think I'm normal.

Posted

Yes, I was. As I mentioned somewhere yesterday, I'm using "Rao's theory of quantum acceleration". 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, I was. As I mentioned somewhere yesterday, I'm using "Rao's theory of quantum acceleration". 

That's good then, starting to think the world was going bonkers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Can we get back on topic guys and theres no need to get personal but I do agree 'Storm Track' is making no sense & going way OTT with this hurricane business! Please think what you are typing before hitting that button.

Pretty gusty here with some beefy showers blowing through.

Pressure 960mb with SE'ly winds gusting 40-50mph.

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WARNING #011ISSUED: 1900UTC FRIDAY 7TH FEBRUARY 2014

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A WARNING FOR SEVERE WEATHER AS FOLLOWS:

STRONG, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS - WALES, SOUTHWEST & SOUTHERN ENGLAND, CHANNEL ISLANDS

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0600UTC SUNDAY 9TH FEBRUARY 2014

DEEP LOW APPROACHING FROM THE WEST, GENERATING SEVERE GALES AND LARGE WAVES INTO THE SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH

DISCUSSION:

THIS WARNING IS INTENDED TO COMPLEMENT WATCH #010. THERE IS GOOD MODEL AND PARTNER AGENCY CONFIDENCE IN THE LIKELIHOOD OF SEVERE WEATHER RISKS THROUGH SATURDAY AND OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY. FROM AROUND 06Z SATURDAY MORNING, WINDS AROUND THE SOUTHERN FLANK OF THE DEEP LOW OVER IRELAND WILL REACH THE SOUTHWEST AND WALES, WITH MEAN WINDSPEEDS OF ABOVE 50MPH AND GUSTS TO 80MPH. INITIALLY SOUTHWESTERLY, THE WINDS WILL SWINF TO WESTERLY THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AND STRENGTHEN TO THEIR MAXIMUM. DURING THE EVENING THESE WINDS WILL MOVE INTO THE CHANNEL AREAS BEFORE ABATING BY SUNDAY MORNING. SOME STRUCTURAL AND TREE DAMAGE IS EXPECTED. IN ADDITION, LARGE WIND DRIVEN SWELLS OF POSSIBLY ABOVE 10 METRES WILL AFFECT THE COASTS OF WALES AND THE SOUTHWEST LEADING TO A POSSIBILITY OF COASTAL FLOODING AND DAMAGE TO INFRASTRUCTURE, THOUGH TIDES ARE LOWER THAN IN PREVIOUS OCCASIONS. DIRECT COASTAL OBSERVATION IS NOT ADVISED. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFO AS NECESSARY.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Met Éireann forecasts further stormy conditions

Met Éireann has forecast storm force winds and heavy and prolonged showers this morning.

It has issued a Status Orange weather warning for Munster along with counties Wexford and Galway - with winds gusting up to 130km an hour.

AA Roadwatch has reported some flooding in counties Offaly and Tipperary.

A Status Yellow weather warning is in place for counties Dublin, Louth, Wicklow and Meath.

The National Co-ordination Group, which is tasked with responding to severe weather conditions, has warned that heavy rainfall could lead to more flooding in places where rivers are already swollen. 

Due to the adverse weather, Irish ferries has cancelled its swift sailings to and from Holyhead. All intending passengers will be accommodated on the cruise ferry sailings. 

Stena Line has also cancelled its Dublin to Holyhead sailings today as well as it's 12.30pm Rosslare to Fishguard sailing. 

All intending passengers are urged to check the website of their travel operator for information. 

Info from: RTE News

ESB Via Twitter

Another windy day, and it may get worse we have a number of outages see https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/ â€¦ if your area is not listed ring 1850372999

Be safe people.

Edited by Luke Anthony

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It is pretty rough here but sunny with it, so not so bad. I'm off to Durdle Door after lunch, to see if it becomes just "Durdle"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It looks like the peak danger to the coast near where I live is at around 0600 tomorrow, for instance my local high tide at Freshwater Bay is at 06:32, it will be the worst sea ever experienced on home shores for most people under fifty.....It easily surpasses all previous this year, for swell height forecast. The last storm beat 1969, 1987 and 1990 around here for sea state. According to older locals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Although the onslaught will be all day, the winds peak on the south coast this afternoon before dropping slightly, then they return again tonight.

post-15177-0-02344000-1391857729_thumb.ppost-15177-0-79828900-1391857737_thumb.p

Posted

In a b&b in criccieth and wow, high seas, and the wind well,I've never experienced anything like it. Literally takes you,off,your feet. Found a great cafe which backs on to the sea, fabulous view of high tide with a nice warm coffee.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Thankfully the coastlines are seeing the lowest tides this weekend. So a lot of people will be saved from coastal flooding due to us seeing neap tides. Also looking like we aren't seeing prolonged rainfall over the south thankfully. Looks like after Tuesday next week things look like slowly becoming dryer and less stormy. So people can start to dry out and hopefully the water will start to resead.

Posted

86mph gusts have been recorded on the coasts of Southern Ireland today.

Current top wind speeds:

South Coast Ireland Buoy 69mph Gusts 86mph.

Wales Mumbles Head 56mph Gusts 72mph.

England Coast Scilly Saint Mary's 47mph Gusts 70mph.

Scotland Drumalbin 38mph gusts 56mph.

GFS just out and shows Wednesday's storm still may happen with 50 to 60mph across England and Wales,

post-6686-0-92514200-1391877065_thumb.pn

Friday is another day now and looks really bad with over 90mph gusts,

post-6686-0-85401200-1391877134_thumb.pn

Still a lot disagreements though for example the UKMO model doesn't show a storm like this at all.

• Like 5