Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted

i think we are entering a period of record breaking number of storms across the UK. The one wednesday has us in the south on a direct hit. I am about to enter fatigue stations of storms

Posted

i think we are entering a period of record breaking number of storms across the UK. The one wednesday has us in the south on a direct hit. I am about to enter fatigue stations of storms

Its looks like a possibly at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

This does not look good at all

http://magicseaweed.com/news/the-50-year-storm/6070/

Bigger waves, than the previous storms, that we've had

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Poor old Finistere and Morbihan on red alert again. Just like the Somerset levels folks. I'd be suicidal by now Posted Image These folks' properties must be almost worthless and uninsurable by now - what will they do? 

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

As a matter of interest only ,XC weather  on current wind chart for now as london area down for a gust of 109 mph ,obviouse a computer error .or does it know something we dont ,back to the now and a very severe several days coming up ,showers ahead of tonights frontal rain now hitting gently on my window panes .Take care all .

As a matter of interest only ,XC weather  on current wind chart for now as london area down for a gust of 109 mph ,obviouse a computer error .or does it know something we dont ,back to the now and a very severe several days coming up ,showers ahead of tonights frontal rain now hitting gently on my window panes .Take care all .

error.. its on the wind history

• Like 1

Posted

This is the first time I have seen the "Earth" site and the wind graphics. How are they produced? Are they just projected computer models or are they from soundings? I know, as a researcher, I should do my research but I want to send the link to a friend and would like to be able to explain the methodology. Thanks!

Posted

Depends on which posts you read. Some say that Saturdays storm is the last for a while. Some say more next week. Some say some of them might be bad. Some say they will miss altogether. Time will tell I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I would say a computer error although with some of what the models are throwing out at the moment I see a wind like that being possible.

• Like 1

Posted

The Killarney METAR in Ireland now reports heavy rain...

Posted

This is the first time I have seen the "Earth" site and the wind graphics. How are they produced? Are they just projected computer models or are they from soundings? I know, as a researcher, I should do my research but I want to send the link to a friend and would like to be able to explain the methodology. Thanks!

It's based on the GFS

Posted

It's based on the GFS

Thanks! So that is projected. Have you a really good, reliable, real time satellite site you could recommend or link to - I'm still learning so please be patient!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Heavy rain here now in Cork.I think some are under estimating this one possibly due to storm fatigue.Looks rough here yet Met Eireann have just a yellow warning out

Wait for about 3-6 hrs they will soon change the warnings......they need a coffee hit.

Posted

Heavy rain here now in Cork.I think some are under estimating this one possibly due to storm fatigue.Looks rough here yet Met Eireann have just a yellow warning out

Hi JS

I love Cork. I lived on the east coast of Ireland for many years (Bray). I've broached the issue and been given a smack on other forums, but what I've suggested is that these sort of events were actually pretty frequent when I lived there. Bray's seafront flooded, a lot. Boats got smashed in the harbour, from time to time. The seas were mountainous. I was on a ferry to the UK during the "Fastnet storm", they sailed. Maybe ME are less reactive, I don't know. I know folks are going through serious poo but haven't they always. I've a psychology background so I always question the human thinking - that make me seem obtuse, sorry. All of this is very complex and takes a lot of reasoning through...and as you will have seen, I'm stuck in the middle of it!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks! So that is projected. Have you a really good, reliable, real time satellite site you could recommend or link to - I'm still learning so please be patient!

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

This is a good one because it shows yesterday and up to the present time.

http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&ra=true&li=false

For the Met Office generated charts

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm

I'm sure other people may be able to come up with some more.

Never be afraid to ask questions there are some very knowledgeable posters on here and these are sites that I have picked up from them.

• Like 1

Posted

I think Matt Hugo counted 29 low pressure systems since Dec 1st a few days ago so Saturdays is prob No 31

• Like 1

Posted

Never be afraid to ask questions there are some very knowledgeable posters on here and these are sites that I have picked up from them.

Thanks!

Posted

Cool for the first one as I have a reasonable bit of German and scandi lingos, and I bet the others are useful too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

The US National Weather Service's Global Forecast System keeps track of the world's weather. It's an incredibly valuable repository of information, but its data, shown in DayGlo charts peppered with numbers, isn't the easiest to visualize without a degree in meteorology. That's where the Earth Wind Map can come in handy. It takes the the Global Forecast System's data — updated every three hours — and applies it to a zoomable map. The result is a beautiful representation of the world's wind in almost real-time.

Earth Wind Map is interactive. Click and drag the globe and you'll spin it in place, then wait a few seconds before the data appears in the form of snaking lines. Gentle breezes are thin strands of green, strong winds are long streaks of bright yellow, while the strongest currents are an angry red. Take a trip around Earth Wind Map's globe now and you'll be able to compare the light summer winds currently wafting across northern Brazil with the swirling gusts off the north-east coast of Japan, a hypnotic and colorful reminder of our planet's wildly changing weather.

This supercomputer-powered site, called simply "earth," takes global weather mapping to a whole new level. Software developer Cameron Beccario built this visualization of global weather patterns, which updates ever 3 hours.

You can turn the animated globe, and you can zoom in on particular locations. You can also see the earth from different heights, and use different overlay options (such as temperature and sea level pressure) to make the globe that much more beautiful.

The map relies on data compiled by NOAA's Global Forecast System to update its global wind patterns every three hours, and OSCAR Earth and Space Research to update its ocean surface current patterns every five days.

Details are thin on the ground on the sparsely-designed website, created by software engineer Mr Beccario, but it describes itself as a 'visualisation of global weather conditions forecast by supercomputers'.

It follows an interactive global wind map, also created by Mr Beccario. Studied together, they reveal just how unpredictable our planet’s weather system can be.

Ocean currents transport huge amounts of heat around the world, making them one of the most important driving forces of climate.

Perhaps the most striking example is the Gulf Stream, which makes northwest Europe milder than other regions at the same latitude.

The currents are generated from the forces acting upon the water like the Earth's rotation, the wind, the temperature and salinity differences and the gravitation of the moon.

Hope that helps 
Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early warning for heavy rain issued for Tuesday in the south

Issued at: 1226 on Fri 7 Feb 2014

Valid from: 0015 on Tue 11 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2345 on Tue 11 Feb 2014

Further spells of rain, heavy at times, and accompanied by strong winds are possible during Monday night and Tuesday. The public should be aware of the risk of further disruption due to flooding.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another area of low pressure and its associated fronts are likely to affect the UK during Monday night and Tuesday, bringing a further spell of heavy rain and strong winds, particularly to southern areas. There is considerably uncertainty in the track and timing of this low pressure system, but with ongoing flooding in some places, any further rain will only add to the problems.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392076800&regionName=uk

And tonight's UKMO doesn't look good at all

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

How come David Cameron gone to 2 places so fast? Maybe he had a lookalike visited Somerset while the real ''he'' visited Olympic Park. Posted Image

What a funny little world we are living in. If we get too much rain we get paralysed and if we get too much snow, the country gets into third world too. I really hope the South-West gets less rain than expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

How come David Cameron gone to 2 places so fast? Maybe he had a lookalike visited Somerset while the real ''he'' visited Olympic Park. Posted Image

What a funny little world we are living in. If we get too much rain we get paralysed and if we get too much snow, the country gets into third world too. I really hope the South-West gets less rain than expected.

What we need is some VERY cold weather.

Then when the water freezes it can smashed up and trucked to the coast lol.

• Like 5