Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

does anyone know any good websites to follow current sea level pressure? thanks.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Surrey, you're good with charts, do you think this is going to be a worse storm than Wednesday's - to my untrained eye it looks a bigger beast?

Surrey, you're good with charts, do you think this is going to be a worse storm than Wednesday's - to my untrained eye it looks a bigger beast?

hmmm depends really, yes the storm is bigger in area.. and will effect more people.. but winds generally going for 70mph down in south west coast 60-65mph inland and same for the south coast with 50-55mph inland so not the worst we have had but enough to cause some problems, also a lot more rain with the system...

Posted

Got to love the Daily Express's headline today, predicting a 'worse than 87' storm to be hitting the UK this weekend. head against wall time

Problem is, if next week's storms do turn out like 1987, people won't heed the warnings if too much cry wolf happens beforehand.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

32mm of rain yesterday, 3mm or so today, everything that gets flooded, IS flooded. Awaiting the next round now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The government's emergency committee Cobra will meet later today, Downing Street has confirmed ahead of the approaching storm

Posted

And the chart posted was not swell height but wave weight in ft

"Surf height from primary swell" A marked difference from a 70ft breaker. Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

That's a breaking wave, not a swell.

If you're talking about 70' swell goodnight and goodbye. Realistically, by the time it reaches the shore it will only be 70' breakers, but that'll be bad enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Whether it's a swell or a wave, it looks damn scary and I'd be running in the opposite direction. Whatever, it's a good photo. :)

• Like 5

Posted

If you're talking about 70' swell goodnight and goodbye. Realistically, by the time it reaches the shore it will only be 70' breakers, but that'll be bad enough.

Wow, so much misinformation today!Swells are measured by wavelength, a 70ft swell will not reach land, it's measured further out to sea, waves at 21 metres crashing in to the UK are very rare. Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted

"Surf height from primary swell" A marked difference from a 70ft breaker.

Actually - though getting a bit pedantic on this, the primary or secondary swell size depicted on these graphs would be the size of a breaking wave IF the break was located near to that buoy. To get an accurate measurement for nearer to cornwall, you'd have to get a buoy measurement closer to home.

Anyway its HUGE !

• Like 3

Posted

My point is, images of a wave like the one posted from Portugal will not be hitting land here, posting in conjunction with another post about wave swell is misleading, some of the members who don't understand the sciences that get talked about on here, might be worried in to thinking that waves like that could be crashing in to their houses.

• Like 2

Posted

My point is, images of a wave like the one posted from Portugal will not be hitting land here, posting in conjunction with another post about wave swell is misleading, some of the members who don't understand the sciences that get talked about on here, might be worried in to thinking that waves like that could be crashing in to their houses.

Yep that won't happen ! If a 70ft wave did come along, it would break in a water depth of 100ft + so would be far out from any beach

• Like 1

Posted

I've just had a quick look at the MO warnings, I'm in an amber for wind from 8pm tonight until 6am Sunday, that's quite something! There's a new early warning out for Tuesday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Posted

I've just had a quick look at the MO warnings, I'm in an amber for wind from 8pm tonight until 6am Sunday, that's quite something! There's a new early warning out for Tuesday.http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

Did you find out where there were courses on understanding them?!

• Like 1