Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Seems like it may have been overdone, but with the UKMO going for a fairly potent storm, and the GFS starting to catch on, I still think it might be a problem.

If it's weaker, it may also track further south, which isn't good news for the already battered south west.

Would get the snowline further south though, blizzards possible on the Northern flank.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Been drooling over the charts for the past couple of days, Just planned a drive down to Brighton area on saturday morning with the family. I love a good storm! Also please could people stop whining about the rain? Its been the most exciting winter for years!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Been drooling over the charts for the past couple of days, Just planned a drive down to Brighton area on saturday morning with the family. I love a good storm! Also please could people stop whining about the rain? Its been the most exciting winter for years!

I think a lot of people are "whining" about the damage caused to people's properties! Yes, I too love a good storm, but with storm after storm, and persistent damage to transport networks and whole settlements forced to be abandoned, I am starting to crave dry weather! 

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

I think a lot of people are "whining" about the damage caused to people's properties! Yes, I too love a good storm, but with storm after storm, and persistent damage to transport networks and whole settlements forced to be abandoned, I am starting to crave dry weather! 

I completely understand that people are suffering as a result of these weather systems, But if you live in a floodplain or on the edge of the coast you cant be surprised when something like this happens. I love the rain, More of the same please : P

Posted

Yes but all people get accused of doing on the forum is only being interested in one type of weather (snow), yet whenever people get excited about storms, they are accused of being selfish, it seems this winter, the only weather its acceptable to like is a slightly displaced Bartlett ridging North!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes but all people get accused of doing on the forum is only being interested in one type of weather (snow), yet whenever people get excited about storms, they are accused of being selfish, it seems this winter, the only weather its acceptable to like is a slightly displaced Bartlett ridging North!!!

Posted Image so true

• Like 4

Posted

Posted Image so true

And the one I hate that gets trotted out is when we pray for a continual spate of sliders and us being on the cold side to the North East is 'have you no regard for what that will do to the South West?'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

XCW wind map doesnt show that many strong winds inland, only gusting at around 45mph for much of the day on Saturday.

Looks like all of the worst winds are going to stay way out west of here where they will be 60-80mph. If this is the case then this storm will be quite a bit weaker than the one we had on Wednesday as a result of the winds not really penetrating that much inland.

Not shure about the accuracy of the site though as I have looked at it many times before on windy spells and found it to have the predictions either way over done or under done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

I completely understand that people are suffering as a result of these weather systems, But if you live in a floodplain or on the edge of the coast you cant be surprised when something like this happens. I love the rain, More of the same please : P

I live on a hill! :p I am fed up of the storms. Storm damage is not altitude specific for the most part, with high winds and heavy rain causing disruption for any number of reasons. It is the major disruption caused on a scale not seen for decades that is concerning. People on the coast and floodplains are not surprised by flooding or by storms, but they are surprised when the stormiest period in 248 years occurs!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I'll note that down in my log for those underwater :p

I love rain too and big windy storms, but enough is enough now lol

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

more gales would be welcomed in Scotland since we can't have snow

Take ours back, they would normally be over you anyway and we do not want any more. Or most of us anyway, I know some are liking the storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Just checked the local met office forecast for the South-West.

Possibility of Storm Force winds  for exposed south-western coasts, on Saturday

If anyone has got any hatches left... could be time to batten down again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

There are very highest risk of torrential downpours, thundery showers, and heavy further squally showers with the severe weather warnings for most part of the UK in this weekend and into next week.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

UKMO still has the storm while GFS sends it well north with a run of the mill blow for nW Scotland.

Still on the edge for anything interesting tomorrow in Sunny Sheffield.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Tuesday's storm seems off the boil, for now. But all eyes on Weds on this morning's model offerings, with ECM and GFS showing a  secondary low under a very strong jet moving east over the Atlantic, then deepening explosively over the Bay of Biscay area before heading either across France (GFS) or up the Channel (ECM). Obviously rather close for comfort on EC, all it needs is a slight correction north for nasty winds to hit the south coast, mind you there's a tight gradient as the low exits, which would bring northwesterly severe gales. Still long way off and could be gone on next few runs, but one to keep an eye on.

post-1052-0-50963000-1391758544_thumb.pnpost-1052-0-85977500-1391758555_thumb.pn

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Got to love the Daily Express's headline today, predicting a 'worse than 87' storm to be hitting the UK this weekend. head against wall time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Got to love the Daily Express's headline today, predicting a 'worse than 87' storm to be hitting the UK this weekend. head against wall time

I hate that they do this just to sell newspapers - but on the other hand, for a lot of people, the implications of this winter's storms, both short-term and long-term, are worse than '87.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I hate that they do this just to sell newspapers - but on the other hand, for a lot of people, the implications of this winter's storms, both short-term and long-term, are worse than '87.

True and have been for a while, but trying to say the winds will be that strong and scaring people is really not necessary.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Just copied this off twitter,

here's a look at the wind pattern around the deep low in the Atlantic at the moment

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

XCW wind map doesnt show that many strong winds inland, only gusting at around 45mph for much of the day on Saturday. Looks like all of the worst winds are going to stay way out west of here where they will be 60-80mph. If this is the case then this storm will be quite a bit weaker than the one we had on Wednesday as a result of the winds not really penetrating that much inland. Not shure about the accuracy of the site though as I have looked at it many times before on windy spells and found it to have the predictions either way over done or under done.

XC take their data from GFS

Posted

Problem is, if next week's storms do turn out like 1987, people won't heed the warnings if too much cry wolf happens beforehand.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

As the latest GFS runs show how bad it is going to be tomorrow, I watched the latest run and the previous, I don,t think I have ever seen the -5C isotherm go so far South over the Atlantic it is down by Spain next week!

Thank god we have such nice weather today before the next one.

Landslips are now moving all along the Isle of Wight coastline, tomorrow will see further reduction of our Southern sea cliffs I think.

I hope they can get that spray concrete in place in time at Dawlish.