Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms February 2014

Coast

In the past 7 days, we've had over a months worth of rainfall here, and with more to come over the next few days. 26mm here alone for today, and it's still raining now. Absolutely horrendous out there, pease stay safe everyone.

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Its going to be a long time before trains can run between Exeter St Davids and Penzance given the damage below at Dawlish

Posted Image

Current estimate is between four and six weeks

I think there will be a fair bit more sea wall dissappear along there in the coming week.

Its always been thought of as a rubbish place to put a railway line, but its rather hilly around there so difficult to find an alternative.

Very pretty train ride along there though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Maybe this weekend is the last storm for a while?

While the wind has been problematic today, and will be again on Saturday, strong emphasis will be on rainfall for the foreseeable.They're evacuating several villages in Somerset for the first time ever, using megaphones from a police helicopter.
  • Like 1

Posted

Its going to be a long time before trains can run between Exeter St Davids and Penzance given the damage below at Dawlish

Posted Image

Current estimate is between four and six weeks

It be longer if the wind and rain keeps up!

Posted

the rail spokesman said 4-6 weeks to repair this section. I assume he meant once the coast is no longer affected by the current high tide issues.

• Like 2

Posted

the rail spokesman said 4-6 weeks to repair this section. I assume he meant once the coast is no longer affected by the current high tide issues.

Yes 4 to 6 weeks worth of work, not unreasonable "off the top of his head" I would say,  and he didnt say when they would start !

• Like 1

I think there will be a fair bit more sea wall dissappear along there in the coming week. Its always been thought of as a rubbish place to put a railway line, but its rather hilly around there so difficult to find an alternative.Very pretty train ride along there though.

re locate railway , cost to much , unless in london with its ludicrous spending per capita on infrastructure projects !!!....
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Not much daylight left, but it's just past Low Tide here, and it only went out half distance compared to normal

I reckon about one hour, for the water to cover the beach, and get back up to the pebble ride, and then another 5 hours of incoming tide after that

See here, at least until it gets fully dark

http://www.eyeballhq.tv/surfcheck/westward-ho/

Storm Surge combined with gale force winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Latest NMM, wouldn't surprise me if some places saw 100mph going by this chart :O

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Maybe this weekend is the last storm for a while?

Hopefully, though more rain looks inevitable next week which will only exacerbate the flooding problems

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looking at the pic it maybe more than 4 - 6 weeks. Looks like the houses may have to go as well if the foundations have been damaged.

Noticed Saturdays low has shifted back a bit further north. Still too far north for it to have much effect here.

Looking at the pic it maybe more than 4 - 6 weeks. Looks like the houses may have to go as well if the foundations have been damaged.Noticed Saturdays low has shifted back a bit further north. Still too far north for it to have much effect here.

quite probably especially the one with the garage, the ground will start to heave under the weight of house and foundations , very sad for family living there ...

Posted

Just spoke to my Mum and Dad who live in Dawlish, fortunately up near the top of a hill. House still has its roof. She's never seen so many camera crews, even some foreign ones. Police preventing access to the seafront.

Being a chartered civil engineer for the last 23 years and looking at that failed structure, there isnt a lot to it when waves come over the top. Hydrostatic loading on the back , no tensile strength, granular backfill and over she goes !!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I think there will be a fair bit more sea wall dissappear along there in the coming week.

Its always been thought of as a rubbish place to put a railway line, but its rather hilly around there so difficult to find an alternative.

Very pretty train ride along there though.

British Railways(sorry network rail) may need to re open a line North of Dartmoor closed in the 1960's as well as repair the Dawlish route.

Poor old Dawlish, open both lines please Mr Cameron don't just patch up this one.

Anyway forwards to Saturday, storm of the year, todays sea state was worse than 1987 around the Isle of Wight according to most grey haired people around here, Saturdays is forecast to be much worse, so get ready.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

They need sheet pilings and acropods for defenses, not the prettiest or cheapest thing to do, but to protect important infrastructure it's a must !!!

Yes of course, but it is so important to preserve the appearance of Dawlish and Brunel's Broad gauge railway seawall, the first mainline next to the sea, ever, I do hope they face it with good stone (later on when fuss is no more). Its mainly for the Grockles, without those Dawlish will wither.....

Looking at the pictures of the damage on the news, I am pleased that the tide actually went out away from the wall, the waves around Freshwater bay (my place) stayed in till dusk all the way to the wall.

If the authority's dared they could be working on that wall now, just like we all know the British Royal Engineers, would be all over it like ants, ever resourceful.....

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM at +144, crikey!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Now that really is nasty, getting into 1987 territory.

Oh my god if that comes could be utterly disastrous for the whole country and I mean this sincerely any deeper and goodbye
  • Like 1